Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 2 Ch. 15 - Mary's Smile

Dex-chan lover
As adorable as this series is, it's hindered by its central conceit that the two main characters can't communicate. I just wish the protagonist were written as less of a doofus.

Dex-chan lover
@BloodKing1 cool. Again, this isnt those manga. Isekai or not, it follows it's own rules for how things work. Just cuz one isekai allows for something, doesnt mean all of them can. Especially since the entire premise of the manga is centered around his inability to understand. Once again, the functions of a different isekai is entirely irrelevant.

Dex-chan lover
Edit: For those that want to help by retweeting the link, but are on a PC, here's the link the QR code goes to:

https://twitter.com/shimai_san/status/1317030069143965697

To all those complaining about the MC not learning the language: some people simply suck at learning languages, even when doing immersion and instructed by people that know their language + the target language. I'm one of them, I struggled with Spanish in high school for two years, then German in college for another two to meet language requirements. Languages just do not come easily to me. If I was whisked away to a different world like the MC is, I could spend years there and not know the language despite my best efforts. MC's only been in Mary's world/castle for a few months at best.

Besides, in this chapter he's trying to find a way to make her smile happily again. Even if he'd already knew her language fluently he wouldn't know what to say to do that, so his lack of language skill is a moot point here. (Look at the ways he tries to make her smile: making a stupid face and scaring her. He'd have probably tried bad jokes, not saying something sweet or romantic.)

It is very annoying this idiot doesn't learn at least 1 word of their damn language.

People should stop giving excuses as to why the kid doesn't learn their language.
He didn't even try to learn how to say potato , literally.
0 effort in learning at least 1 word PER WEEK.
Mary is a good character but Ren , useless.

@Kabeidon_
I would agree that it is a bit frustrating that he hasn't tried (although I still like this series), but as I have mentioned, it would be hard to learn nouns if the language has things like noun cases, in which case he'd be hearing what to him are completely different words when they actually refer the same thing.

And when you are in a place with no one that speaks your own language to guide you, yeah, it's going to take a tad bit more than a week to start picking stuff up.

Dex-chan lover
I'm always so amused how hard people take it he won't/can't learn to communicate. I mean I understand the sense of disconnect but it's just a facet of the story that the author doesn't seem to care about. They're more in it for the innocent reaction of a girl taking care of her pet and her pet defending and loving his master.

The whole point of this series seems to be showing an owner and pet relationship between the two, with the obvious twist that we're seeing it from the perspective of the pet. Think Chokotto Hime, where the cat has her own level of understanding that seems entirely human but will never truly understand her master. Actually learning to communicate would defeat the purpose of the interactions between the two of them and kill that sense of bewilderment as each of them tries to understand why they're doing something they're doing rather than just being told. This chapter is actually a great example of the situational bewilderment the author seems to be going for, and the fact that we can never understand Mary ourselves and have to deduce her intent the same as the protagonist puts us in the same level, almost like she's above even us.

Ren doing things for Mary is like a cat killing a mouse and leaving it in front of your door, thinking it's contributing. And everything Mary does for Ren is obviously in the context of taking care of or playing with/loving a pet.

If you guys want them to have some sort of understanding on the same level as two foreigners learning how to communicate, I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't anticipate they will ever truly reach that point.

@sirflimflam
I agree with this for the most part. The main reason Im a bit frustrated that the MC hasn't tried to learn is just that I think its a missed opportunity for more of them trying to figure out what the other actually means (and the potential misunderstandings that could arise from it).

Still though, it's a manga called 'I Was Summoned by the Demon Lord, but I Can't Understand Her Language', so it's not like him not learning it wasn't to be expected.

Dex-chan lover
mc seems really immature for a college age kid? like why would he think those first things he tried would make someone happy or laugh?

Dex-chan lover
I honestly expected, *”this will leave me no option... ILL LEARN HER LANGUAGE” but alas, the mc is an immature man child

Dex-chan lover
@Panther surprising a demon lord would be like surprising an armed war veteran. If you dont think thats immature and stupid then youre probably not thinking much about what couldve happened

Users who are viewing this thread