Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 3 Ch. 17 - I Could Understand Her Words (3)

@alidan I mean even when we could talk with the same language we could still failed to convey and misunderstood the meaning. it's quite difficult to convey something to people, especially if their culture and common sense is so different from ours. and now they couldn't even communicate, they are from 2 different worlds, and they only have a few weeks of time. plus I think I don't need to mention that usually there is only the girl in that place and the rest is just some golems that couldn't talk. the girl was also quite passive to teach him the language. and we don't even know how hard the pronunciation of the words in that world is. with this kind of environment it's quite difficult for him to learn their language properly.

also I'm not sure that the new girl could teach him properly looking at her behavior and conduct so far.

@Mixander Nobody is saying "wtf why isn't this guy 100% fluent in the language already?" People are amused that Ren still knows literally 0 words. He's also made no effort to teach Mary any Japanese. Even with no common language, it could be possible to pick up very simple, limited vocabulary for everyday objects and actions within a few months (over several years there's no excuse). For no apparent reason, this process is never shown to have been attempted or even shown to have been considered by any of the characters. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if this manga had enough restraint to carry on as a pure gag manga. It would still be hack writing, but nobody reads this for its brilliantly executed story; it's fluff. But no, by the looks of things, the mangaka wants to add a little plot and intrigue (the song stuff from last chapter, the story of the 1000 year old demon, etc). You add plot, expect your writing to be critiqued as other stories with plots are critiqued.
It's shown in Chapter 10 that in this other world it's understood that situations, ideas, and objects can be represented through drawings. Mary grasps the meaning of the "thumbs up" gesture by Chapter 9. So that means their "culture and common sense" isn't so radically different as to cut off those avenues of communication and learning. They're just inexplicably unexplored by these characters. (again, look at Heterogeneous Linguistics, where you're dealing with species that e.g. can only produce sounds in frequency ranges inaudible to humans or that cannot see representations in our drawings. THESE THINGS ARE AVAILABLE TO REN AND MARY)
Oh yeah, and before anyone says muh cases: it's not a question of whether any approach would be of utility or would actually succeed. It's that nothing's even been tried. Ren isn't even shown to have thought about this entire topic—which is bad writing, unless we're meant to see Ren as functionally mentally retarded. It's an extremely obvious point to consider.

I’m guessing their languages must be so far apart not including his modern vocabulary with her isekai one make it extremely difficult to pick up. Mary saying thank you was so adorable, with that and an interpreter it gives hope they can communicate to some extent soon. I do wonder why he was summoned with being called sama all of a sudden.

@Mixander
There is a massive difference between

1) bathroom, hungry, tired
2) the fun is fun, you fun too?
and
3) I enjoyed my time here, did you also like the show?

for the most part fluency comes in a few steps,
essencial, conversational, with a few steps in between here I dont know the names of to fluent/native

what i'm saying is barring a chinese like language, you should be able to pick up enough at the 2-3 month mark to contextually pick up more while before then, its pure pattern recognition.

Way too short of a release and cute. Should be illegal to do this. Thanks for the translations. 'Thank You', heh.

Fed-Kun's army
Ah yes, a third party for communication, what could possibly go wrong

Hnnnnng, I undertsand how he's happy that Mary spoke a word in Japanese, but he is the one who's supposed to first say a word he learnt in Common tho? Like, isn't that how its supposed to go?
MC asserting their new home status by declaring with the first acceptance of his new world via learning one (1) word in the new language and using it.
Like, if this is how it's going to go I can see how later they'll be able to talk smoothly and its just because Mary speaks japanese and that's just horrible

Like, the point of this scene was to show how COMMUNICATION GET its currently, 1) interpreter get 2) Mary learning get but like MC, buddy man, how did Mary learn her first word before you did?

To be fair, he was summoned against his will so this as an olive branch is quite nice, but this is supposedly a gag-manga, this type of analysis goes out, new home status declaration by using first learnt word is still in by nature of this vaguely cobbled together plot

@araquetty81 well you are right. and in our MC case it's more like there is not enough pressure that forced him to learn language desperately so he probably just procrastinate. Maybe he actually life more comfortably than he used to rn so he keep delaying things. but still, it's pretty hard to convey something with no familiar language. I mean my late grandma was deaf because of her age, it's kind of impossible to converse and now it's starting to happen to my father as well. Because no one have learn sign language it kind of fit with our conversation in some way. when I use some gesture to try to converse with them it just kind of not working. 😞
in my father case he is still better because he could still hear me when I shout loudly in his ears, it worsen with the passage of time tho.

@alidan actually I gave up learning Chinese. :v
I can't stand the tone in their pronunciation. it's confusing and I kept mistaking one with the others.
It's even worse if the voice isn't clear or kind of echoing in the room as I can't even start to figured out what he is trying to say. this also applies when my English teacher kinda speak with the sound kind of stuck in his mouth, it's sucks, I can't even comprehend what words that he said anymore.

@Dethaw Nothing will change. It's already going wrong with the translator conveying who knows what, it's going to get even messier with her official position. I don't get MC, one thing is to not understand, but not being able to convey simple things, like yes/no, door, chair, food, etc in the weeks or so he is in there? He doesn't have any drive to learn. He constantly complains that he can't understand anything, yet shown zero motivation to actually learn that new language or even any simple word. Mary and all the others just roll on with it, not even trying to help him.

Group Leader
If I were him, I'll at least try to communicate using picture with text or something the likes. Just like how kindergartener learn to read or write things.

Here, a good manga about a fantasy-world guy got isekaid to another fantasy world with different language. Trust me, it's good.
https://mangadex.org/title/37088/the-wolf-won-t-sleep

Warning 5 images of The Wolf Won't Sleep chapter 2:
65tIRGU.png

vfEnJtw.png

2TmlzUD.png

VCIig9V.png

Also this,
A linguist works with the military to communicate with alien lifeforms after twelve mysterious spacecrafts appear around the world.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/

Users who are viewing this thread