Maou-sama no Machizukuri! ~Saikyou no Dungeon wa Kindai Toshi~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 15

Double-page supporter
@GrimGriefer
In the novel it really wasn't like this.
It actually went the opposite of what was shown here, the merchant was suspicious at first but with all the benefits offered he jump head first without bullying.
Turns out he's a really good guy that even offers to get other big merchants into his town to help their economy.

Why would you cave to those two? They are there with you alone, wiped them off the face of the earth!

Dex-chan lover
@Chaos_Knight The MC has exactly zero poker face. Let's hope he will never need to negotiate with anyone again.

@GrimGriefer Actually the chapters only talked about duties and tariffs, which means something collected at the gates when stuff moves in and/or out of the city. It says nothing about taxes. He could still collect some of those. Although it would certainly make sense to mention such a thing now, not only afterwards. He also can't treat later merchants any different because they wouldn't be able to compete with these two otherwise. He's not primarily interested in money, but in fact it's suspicious if he doesn't collect it, plus when more and more people move in, he will need to also spend money to keep the town running.

For such a noob MC with no poker face, he was pretty unlucky to get so hard-boiled merchants as the first ones to negotiate with. Obviously the merchants would be greedy and try to get massive benefits on top of the already huge opportunity they were immediately offered. That's what being a true merchant is. However, if he had kicked these two out to try again with other merchants, these two would have definitely caused him problems, maybe even to the point of turning the town into a regular dungeon by having adventurers loot it. In the end the merchants wouldn't care even if they knew the place is in fact a monster dungeon in a peaceful disguise, they only want to make money. All that talk about suspicious was just talk to pressure the gullible MC. But if they can't make profit, things are different.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan there is an extremely easy solution to that problem: ask a price accordingly to the demand in that place, and not based on some abstract "fair prices" from a totally different world, with a totally different production process and a totally different economy.
If you ask the same prices of other cities, everyone would come there, because he is closer to the dungeon, but no one would export his goods, since there would be no profit (especially if you consider taxes and transport expenses)

Oh well, it looks like it is time again to drop out the trash

Dex-chan lover
i guess he didn't really read those negotiation books ah he's nervous and shaky as hell

Dex-chan lover
@Beregorn - you may have noticed MC can't really enter human towns to scout out the prices.
He could have done better if he had summoned a merchant monster and some spy monsters, but at the moment, he doesn't have that, and he has limited ability to choose which monsters he'll get.

By the way, I'm one of those people who liked how the novel handled it more.

Dex-chan lover

Regular ass human: YOU'RE A DEMON LORD, RULER OF DEMONS AND MONSTERS WITH UNTOLD POWERS WHO HATES HUMANS, RIGHT?
Demon Lord: ;-;
Regular ass human: GIVE US EVERYTHING OR WE'LL TELL EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF THIS HIDDEN MEETING THAT NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT THAT YOU'RE A DEMON LORD.

... I mean. Why would you poke the bear? It's sleeping nicely, it even left a nice meal for you if you visited and wished you to have a happy life. Now you go into its cave and start beating it with a stick? What the fuck happens if it wakes up? Did you think that far ahead?

Yup... I'm dropping this shit.

I can't stand a powerful being ( at least he's a demon lord ) scared of the inferior one ( human ).

Meh...

Contributor
Yeah, what the hell was this chapter? Having read the WN I can wholeheartedly say I don't approve, what with MC acting like a sniveling little child.

I have no recollection of such a scene and I don't think I would have liked it as much if there were.

Fed-Kun's army
@wankerLin as infuriating as it is to admit, that's how real life merchants do business nowadays, they ignore long term superior profits in favor of short term guaranteed leftovers. That's why we get so many inferior products.

Fed-Kun's army
@Mangon right? it's feels not real, like, is he really a demon lord? even i will kill one or two people i hate in that world, after all there is no law for demon killing human/other race there.

Fed-Kun's army
Our boy got molested by a fat ugly bastard.

The lines between genres are blurring together

Dex-chan lover
@Kronous - you might have noticed that MC isn't particularly evil. He even made a friendly dungeon where people can be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread