March Comes in Like a Lion - Vol. 16 Ch. 172 - New Year (3)

Dex-chan lover
God, I fucking love Hina and him together. I've mentioned it before but the only reason I stuck around all these years, was because I wanted their relationship to be a thing. Normally I don't like sports or sportslike anime and manga and this series definitely triggered that feeling, but the healing effects of that household always kept me coming back. That time when he effectively declared to her father he intended to marry her was like, so perfect.

@goodhunter @cgr

It's true that he's had happiness and met people he cares for in shogi, but "Path" gives us some very clear examples of how Kiriyama's recently feeling about shogi. He has more and more trouble delving back into the 'cold' world of shogi now that he has the warmth and affection of the Kawamotos; he is more and more often, and more quickly, finding himself in the 'pitch-black room' of being cornered; Mr. Hayashida notes that although Rei is afraid but wants to hold onto the onigiri in his hands (aka the warmth of the Kawamotos), he has never said he wants to gain a shoji title - and that's basically the end goal of all professionals.

At the end of "Path," he even acknowledges there's thing's he's lost (his birth family), things he's gained (new friends and people who care about him), things he will eventually lose (...?), and things he doesn't want to lose (Hina). Right now, he still feels that if he fails at shogi, he's "useless," and that's something that he needs to grow out of. His current mindset of how he views himself in relation to shogi is still unhealthy - which is why I think it's so important that he sees Hina reach for her dreams. Just as Hina has people supporting her, Rei has people supporting him, and I feel like he needs to come to an acceptance that it would be "okay" even if he did quit shogi before he finally decides whether or not to continue with it. (I do think he'll stick with it in the end, but I just believe there are hoops to get through first.)

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@MasterLillyclaw
I agree with most of this analysis, but you're missing 2 key points:
1. rei has never stated/thought that he hates shogi in the present (that flashback of his adoption was the only time)
2. literally nothing in the manga suggests it would be better for rei to quit shogi

the recent chapters: 'path' just shows that rei hasn't fully gotten over his trauma and needs to figure out how to change his mindset regarding shogi

If you seriously think there is even a remote possibility of rei quitting shogi, you're denying 90% of this manga: in which he has been shown to be fascinated by shogi , wants to compete with top players, etc.

As someone who is lost on what they want to do in the future, Hina’s words are reassuring.

Arghh i want more, i love when their interaction... How can she more mature and get pure wish, i love when kiriyama to be a good listener of hina.
Arghh i want more interaction from both of their... Then i want to know who get akari between sensei and shimada. Btw i'm shimada team 😂

😭😭 So warm... Kiriyama... bro... let me hug her as a big brother and head pat her.

Double-page supporter
And best girl Hina is becoming mature as fast as a bullet train.
I think she's had this maturity, she just didn't often express it. You can see hints of her contemplating the sweet shop business for awhile. I thought it was a foregone conclusion she was going to take over the shop when grandpa passed. Not Akari, but Hina. Hina has been more often to express business sense than Akari, as well as the creativity to keep the shop's selection fresh.
Wait wait short and that note at the end
Was that just end chapter or like... End end??
Many thanks

Ok never I read that wrong lol it said to be continued
Have these chapters always been 8 pages only?
@thathuffbear: There have been shorter-than-usual chapters before, yes.

I believe the record low was about 4 pages a long while back for one the chapters in the bullying arc.
Short..? this was 22 pages, if you cut out the title page and the couple of extras after the ending page. This is one of the longer chapters I've seen. Was this shorter when it was first uploaded..?

Short..? this was 22 pages, if you cut out the title page and the couple of extras after the ending page. This is one of the longer chapters I've seen. Was this shorter when it was first uploaded..?
I think I saw that guy's short comment and then responded to it with a more general statement about the varying chapter lengths for this series without really considering the length of this one.

Frankly, I barely remember typing that, especially with the change in how these comments are put up. lol

Users who are viewing this thread