March Comes in Like a Lion

I really love this series, and these last couple of chapters have reminded me why I fell in love with it. Sometimes we get great character moments, intense shogi matches that sometimes introduce new characters, sometimes we might not even be following Rei or the kawamoto family, maybe it’s sensei, or Nikaidou and seeing what they’re up to. I haven’t even mentioned Rei and his amazing chemistry with the kawamoto sisters, especially Rei and Hina. This series is a great Drama, it’s tragic at certain points, funny occasionally, and can even be a great romance. March comes in like a Lion proudly stands among one of my favorite pieces of fiction I’ve ever engaged myself with and I hope more people give it a read.

Fed-Kun's army
I usually love this kind of manga: slow-paced, focused on one-character.

And, well, it just didnt work our this time. The topic was interesting tho, a young Shogi player's tribulations, that's pretty much unheard of.
My problems would be as following:
-the art. I'm really not a fan. To each his own I guess.
-the pace. It's slow. Very slow. Usually i dont mind, but here it's extremely slow. I want to know more about his past, but there's just too much time where nothing happens. I know it's important to set up a mood but here, it's just tooooo slow.
-the characters. They are too.. perfect? I dont know, it's odd. They all seem to fit too perfectly in their role. I cant really explain, it just feels that the characters are too archetypal.

I could be wrong, but this manga reminds me a bit of Oyasumi Pun-pun. We follow the main character and get to slowly understand his world and views, the hardships he has to face. Maybe the goal of the two authors were different and that's why i'm not into this manga.

I wont rate it. It has its merits, and I dont think i'm adequate to judge it.

Gosh I hate Kyouko. I know she is an well-written necessary character and lots of people likes her but I just can't stand her existence. She is just too much toxic, too much poisonous and hardly even feels bad about her wrongdoings. Sorry I just wanted to rant a lil.
The manga is a great slice of life and so many feelings hit so close to heart. The anime did a good job capturing all these feelings of the manga.

Fed-Kun's army
Only thing I can really criticize is that the author really struggles showing character growth with designs, especially character age. A decent amount of time has passed at this point but some characters even look younger than they original did.

Everything else though is beyond fantastic and hard to even critic properly due to how well its done. Especially the themes, some even go over my head, not because of poor writing but the themes seem extremely personal and fantastically portrayed that way

I really don't want this manga to ever end. Its like bag full of wholesome positivity for me. I really adore the characters. Seeing Rei's character development and him being so happy makes me feel happy too ^_^

Slice of Life done right, a joy to read and it got me interested in chess. Cannot recommend it enough.

Aaaah thank you for the update...!! they were so spot on about hina and kiriyama's hypothetical reaction tho, I love it xD

Sorry I know this is not about food but is the cooking theme correct? I can see food being prepare or something like that in this manga? thx

Dex-chan lover
@Migangel
yes food is a big part of this series as well, you wont get a full chapter about cooking but you'll see lots of mouth watering foods/sweets in here and sometime you'll see them cooking in a couple of panels or a page or two.
the Kawamoto family sells sweets for a living and the three sisters loves to eat as well as discussing foods.

i Can’t get enough of Rei and Hina, definitely the interaction I enjoy the most.
Their chapters together are the best.

Uwaaaaah!!! such a wholesome chapter! I'm glad Rei is finally having fun playing shogi :')

I think that rei should end with akari, hina is ok but just after some years. The best situation could be rei getting someone for experience and then go for akari 😅

Users who are viewing this thread