Maria no Danzai - Ch. 24 - A Complete Mess

Dex-chan lover
What in the fck was that? Are they really gonna be like "his weakness was a really old photo thats why an untrained kid could beat a seasoned cop"

Double-page supporter
Nice write-up but matter of fact is that the dad is infinitely stronger than him as presented here. Dude is a stronger than average high school bully.
Is he? Maybe in disarming and other self-defence techniques dad is better, thanks to traning as a cop. But this kind of strength requires maintaining focus and self control. When dad lost his cool he lost that advantage and what started was brutal brawl, akind of fight that bully been shown to be very good in scenes in previous chapters when he easily beat not just other teens but adults too.

This is the corniest shit I've ever read. Unironic a 5/10 manga at the very best and i cant stop for some reason.

• Dumb
Reactions: jak
Dex-chan lover
I'm not really feel bad for the father since he's basically absent when his son needs him from bullying even to the point of dying, for a cop he can't even see what's happening or even care enough to his own son, he sucks.
He's a Cop, not a Magician 😐

He's also not Sherlock Holmes <_<.. You wouldn't believe how often bullying goes unnoticed and in some cases until its too late even, if you go that route the Mother wasn't any better.

And there's the likely case that the Son wouldn't have said so, even if the dad had asked

I'd like to point out that, considering it's from when their kid was alive, the picture could very well be old enough to be film, so not necessarily super replaceable. Also, shit like this is easily misplaced and/or lost in the middle of a divorce, so it's pretty possible he couldn't just re-develop the original film for a new picture.

I still think dad could've put up more of a fight (or: it should've been shown better by the author), but it's clear 90% of the people commenting think divorce dad is supposed to be superman or something.

Not every face-off will be a dramatic fight scene, this was definitely underwhelming, but not to the extent people are making it out to be. I'm still waiting for the next chapter to drop before judging if this was THAT bad.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if she won't even give this dude a chance: just straight up a beating with a bat or something. He's probably gonna escape her game most likely and they'll have like a 1v1 chase against each other.

Dex-chan lover
  • I'm 50/50 with Yuda helping that guy out. I can understand wanting to "save" him so they can carry out their revenge, plus there's always the chance of some legal bullshit to spare him from justice even if the police caught him. On the other hand, it rubs me the wrong way that he helped him out.
  • I GROANED at the police officer (sorry, forgot his name or if it was even mentioned) not immediately pulling out his firearm at the first sign of an intruder. And THEN he fell for the super obvious bait 🙄. It's a different story if he knew who's attacking him, but there's literally no excuse for him to immediately go "Nah, I'd win" on some stranger that could be armed even with backup arriving. Now he's got a shard in his eye and that's mostly his fault, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. With that, I'm also expecting the author that the police guy will get an eyepatch, and have a theme of "conveniently" turning a blind eye to Maria's revenge. I'm gonna fricking cringe so hard if that happens because he got blinded IMO in the shittiest way possible.
  • And seriously, I have no idea why the artist made the police officer and Yuda look similar with the long messy hair and glasses. A few extra seconds to figure out who's depicted in a panel (although police guy has some stubble which helps a bit) is going to be a hassle to read.
Using guns as an officer in Japan is fucking rare lol what?

Dex-chan lover
I really don't think many of you realize that getting angry 8 times out 10 will make you lose a fight. If you fly into a rage, realistically you lost, look at most professional fights and you'll see that. (And before ya say anything, there is a huge difference in being pissed at things your opponent said and did and wanting payback in the ring, and sudden off the handle flying into a rage) the highschooler has clearly been shown as someone capable to beat up teenagers and grown men in fights, of course that moment of rage, followed up with a punch the father didn't see coming is enough to win the fight. Most professional boxers will admit the punch to knock you out is the one you don't see coming. The picture frame was thrown into his face so obviously he could not see the fist coming, had no way of defending as he didn't even know what angle it would come from leads to his brain getting rattled with that punch and him falling to the floor.

Also this man still just recently lost his son and had his wife leave him while she hated his guts for believing that the death was self-inflicted. His mind is in shambles right now, he isn't some perfectly well functioning member of society, honestly he probably knows he could replace that picture but with his mind being such a mess, especially with the stigma families in Japan deal with for suicide, he won't be thinking straight. Him being a detective doesn't change that fact. People will fly off the handle at the tiniest things in such situations. His reaction is not unrealistic, your disbelief that a completely and utterly depressed and overworked detective would snap at an intruder doing such a thing is unrealistic.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think grabbing a portrait and breaking it is reason enough to get blinded by rage, that is just stupid. You have to consider he is a cop (so dealing with those situations are more common for him, specially because he isn't a bottom officer), he has combat knowledge (so how come he gets blind just because a "robber" broke a portrait?) and he is smart enough to know that his window being broken wasn't a pattern by a rock? So, this chapter is BS.

Double-page supporter
The big problem is the fight sequence right in the middle that lead up to the result.

That cheesy development of not ensuring the "you're under arrest" bit ruins the whole thing. Restrain him. Follow up. Do something. You are still in danger. You are both still in fight or flight mode. Dude attacked you after breaking into your home. Other life issues will not matter at all here.

Hell, if trained cop lost while trying to physically restrain the perpetrator because of say, losing his glasses, slipping, and/or hitting a piece of furniture? Fine.

Even this fight sequence, lets say cop was actively trying to restrain the kid while saying his arrest shpiel, but gets kicked away. Kid squirms away, grabs photo, cop quickly flinches/freezes, kid throws while acknowledging the weakness (he has fight experience, so he'll see his opening to fulfill his KO goal), same end result. Perfect.

Very bad depiction of a fight sequence if nothing else. And that one detail is enough to ruin the suspension of disbelief.

Dex-chan lover
Fucking glass in his eye Jesus.

However this shakes out it will be pretty brutal.

From this comment section alone you can see how many edgy people there are thinking oh combat training makes you invincible. Must be the same kind of people who watches those tutorial videos of how to fight back against an armed robber with a gun/knife and think those videos are real.

Dex-chan lover
What in the fck was that? Are they really gonna be like "his weakness was a really old photo thats why an untrained kid could beat a seasoned cop"
i don't know how many ppl in his situation would've stayed in peak shape even if he buried himself in paperwork through the grief, because i don't think he was necessarily a 'top detective'/hero cop type person before his son died /dunno how common it would be to deal with dangerous ppl esp since most ppl would have partners/backup but mental baggage def would have an effect on your physical status too

Dex-chan lover
mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn why can't we just have maria doing calculated messed up shit
like this is is nice and all but eh idk

i think ill just read to see how it goes but im slipping off 😭

Dex-chan lover
Article 95
"A person who commits an act of assault or intimidation against a public officer
in the performance of public duty shall be punished by imprisonment with or
without work for not more than 3 years or a fine of not more than 500,000 yen."
Article 130
"A person who, without justifiable grounds, breaks into a residence of another
person or into the premises, building or vessel guarded by another person, or who
refuses to leave such a place upon demand shall be punished by imprisonment with
work for not more than 3 years or a fine of not more than 100,000 yen."
Article 204
"A person who causes another to suffer injury shall be punished by imprisonment
with work for not more than 15 years or a fine of not more than 500,000 yen."

Also in case you wondering, Police Officer in Japan cannot bring their weapon (especially guns) home.

Dex-chan lover
Fair enough if that's the case, although whew, I pity the officers having to hand-to-hand someone with a knife.
I ain’t saying that it isn’t dangerous for cops to deal with a knife, but just about every cop on the planet outside the US knows how to deal with that without a gun and killing the suspect. All of that red tape about shooting people is completely normal.

On a more cheerful note. If the forensics unit is mildly competent, this dude just left a massive trail of evidence just now. DNA evidence has got to be absolutely everywhere.

Dex-chan lover
I ain’t saying that it isn’t dangerous for cops to deal with a knife, but just about every cop on the planet outside the US knows how to deal with that without a gun and killing the suspect. All of that red tape about shooting people is completely normal.

On a more cheerful note. If the forensics unit is mildly competent, this dude just left a massive trail of evidence just now. DNA evidence has got to be absolutely everywhere.
AFAIK every legit self-defense instructor will tell you to RUN as far away from any guy with a knife. You can disarm him if you're a better fighter, but you'll most likely be injured in the attempt. There's also no guarantee that the knife-wielding guy is a worse fighter than you. I'm not sure if they teach the same for police officers, or Japanese police officers to be exact though.

but just about every cop on the planet outside the US knows how to deal with that without a gun and killing the suspect
Next to tasers or pepper spray, which are still risky if they don't work (especially if the suspect is on drugs), I think guns and keeping distance is still the best and safest.

I'm just expecting the author to BS that the police can't find any DNA evidence, or more believable, that their ringleader (or his dad?) will pull some strings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread