Martial Master

Wait a fucking second, did they just pull names out of their ass and decided, yeah, Simon Taylor...that sounds good.

I already have issues with companies directly translating names (IE a person named Sui into Water), but this is some next level shit.

Power Uploader
@xTachibana His Chinese name is Qin Chen. Family name Qin, given name Chen. I am using Simon because the official english translation used it and I did not want to confuse the readers. Currently I am using English name for only 3 characters Simon, Joseph and Joe. All other names are in Chinese.

I actually enjoy the English names. I often have trouble remembering pinyin names and I make up funny names for them in my head. Like LingShan becomes 零山 so she is zero mountain.

@rspreet

IMHO, you should be using the Chinese names from the moment you started scanlating.
I got that his name was Qin Chen from the SINGLE chapter it appeared as such on an aggregator that has the other chapters.
It's really jarring to see random English names assigned to Chinese people/families in a manhua.
The """"Official"""" names aren't even consistent. On chapter 99, last panel, MangaToon called the family "Trevor", when it was "Taylor", and even use the real name (Qin) on occasion, like in chapter 105.
They also gave up on renaming everyone and just started using Chinese for some characters.

We didn't get confused when Princess/Green haired Knife guy changed to their proper names from the English (Alice/Keith -> Zhao Lin(g)shan/Wang Qiming), we wouldn't get confused by the MC either. Consistency would be much better than preserving fake names.
Anyways, it's your call.

@xTachibana yes, the "official translation", Mangatoon, one of the worst things to ever happen to mangadom, decides on asspulled names for a lot of the series they soil with their barely-above-Google "translations". It has pushed me to learn Chinese in order to read raws later. Too bad I'm still on the basic level.

@azmoon I have 0 issues with remembering Pinyin names. In fact, I'm good with remembering any name I can pronounce.

I've only ever seen him named Simon. I've never found these Chinese names that y'all are talking about. If you do change it, I'm going to need a list of everyone's English names cause I'll be very confused. I started this on MangaReader and hoped over once they shut down their definitive version.

Power Uploader
@Sam360 No, I don't think so. But so far we have seen 3 females : his cousin, Lingshan and Yu Qianxue

Double-page supporter
This story really crawls, almost 300 chapters and we arent far into it...

Dex-chan lover
who the fuck translates Anglicizes a Chinese name in a fucking translation? I'm not even going to attempt touching this with a 10-ft pole. No disrespect to the new fan translator, but for the love of god don't use English names

While there are problems I'm fine with it as long as you continue to translate this. I love this Manhua. I love how Simon is just chilling out when he's in a group like he's an ornament to make people believe he's trash and keeping all the aces up his sleeves for the right time. People are saying it's slow but I find that it's necessary. It's better than having a character who just suddenly becomes OP with no work. It shows that Simon has worked for what he now has.

In regards to the names, I find English easier to understand but I think you should do a notice where you correct everything. Thanks for the hard work, this is so much better than others where I have to piece words together to actually understand what their saying. I think knowing what they are saying is more important that whatever else. As a matter of fact I even can name them myself. The characters appearance and clothing don't really change so I'll always know their role and that's good enough for me.

Power Uploader
@Takusaki I will use Chinese names for all characters after this competition,
because after that there will be some family politics coming and I have to use the Chinese names otherwise it will get really complicated and hard to understand.
So until then bear with this.

Users who are viewing this thread