Melancholia

Dex-chan lover
I just realised that the chapter titles are in alphabetical order.

I wonder how far this goes.

Group Leader
Aah, the group that worked on Biotop, go figure. Thanks for picking this one up~! Been looking forward to a TL of this ever since its 1st volume came out.

Dex-chan lover
It's just like Nickelodeon (well, it's by the same author, so...)! Loving it so far!

Dex-chan lover
Dowman Sayman? I'm sold

also the name reminds me of that one depressing movie

EDIT: well this manga obviously was inspired by Melancholia. here's a song to accompany any of you reading this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyjj8BgsBGU

Reading these the most defining attribute of each one seems to be selfishness. It doesn't always materialise in a desire to have the world follow their every whim. Sometimes there is instead the belief that the world revolves around them, and if they cannot help then no one can or shall.

It is weird, but I personally believe this manga is at its best when it doesn't have elements of the author's usual apathy towards death (in their writing I'll specify).

The apathy makes the characters all feel extremely similar to one another, to the degree that I personally get bored or tired of reading Seiman's manga. Sure, it might be part of what differentiates his work from others', but that doesn't mean much if all their characters feel the same (which they luckily don't once you remove the apathy).

Contributor
douman is probaly the most care free artist ive read, and thats an amazing thing. He includes no stereotypes, no boundaries, no troupes in any of his work. Its just douman being douman, and that's pretty great.

Group Leader
This might be my favorite Dowman work after Voynich and Oddman.
Compared to his other anthologies (which are a lot of fun despite), the story really feels like it matters in this one.

I don't really understand any of this, but it's great nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread