Mieruko-chan - Vol. 5 Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
@adt141
that makes a lot of sense, thanks

certainly makes more sense than 'gods' being waifus and whatever the hell these things are being, well, whatever the hell they are.

Dex-chan lover
So, why keep Julia in the dark at this point? It doesn't seem like being unaware of spirits is a universal protection. And Julia's just playing with matches here, not actually knowing how scary the real fire is.

so cute

xa0Pn9A.png

So far it looks like these 3 creatures are not from human world/Earth, but rather from another world that can intersect with Earth because of various conditions meeting.
Why main creature "gave" Miko 3 chances - because it was testing her? Maybe. But it also ate 2 ghosts personally, opposing to normal end for spirits, which should be bad for Earth. Imagine closed system where number of elements is constant - Earth should be pretty similar, as ghosts are probably appearing after death of a living creature, and at some point they are getting back into living world by dying at either hands of other ghosts, collection points or exorcists and reincarnating as living creatures again, though some may remain as ghosts because of whatever reasons. Also sort of explains why two fox-girls didn't like tofu offering, as they are probably not used to food from Earth.
And here comes The Beast and his 2 servants. He is eating ghosts thus they are probably not getting reincarnated. So, he is pretty much an invasive species that is helping Miko for a reason - maybe to have a beacon that would help him find more food? Also one of two fox-girls seems to be not very happy with Miko, probably thinking something like "Why should we help her?", while second is pretty tame(so far).
Of course they might turn out to be some local "gods" and pretty powerful at that point, which is possible with how many surprises this manga shows us - but I hope for a more alien-like nature of these 3.

Theory/Analysis of the story thus far
Place: Minatani Shrine - An otherworldly shrine that no human would/should be able to enter

Possible Requirements:
- A person who can “see” (Note, not a mediator but someone who can “see”)
- A person (most likely female) with a strong life aura
- (Based on mythology, a lot of maidens were chosen as sacrifices. I have a feeling that the person has to be specifically female)
- A strong otherworldly creature

(Chapter 11)
To summon the twin girls it would probably require an offering, jingle the bell and then pray. Miko had prayed for the thing behind them to stop following Hana and to lift her “curse”. Her fee was “anything” to help them. After they took out the monster (although I have a feeling they would have anyways since eating each other is their way to grow stronger) the “god” and the twin girls started to talk to each other. The god pointed to Miko as if confirming something. One of them shook their head and the other nodded and both added something. After a bit more talking the god picked something off of Miko’s head (I have no idea what it is. It looks way too dark to be a leaf but it probably is tbh, just not really sure if it is or not. Could be Miko’s gift to see). It then gave her three chances for protection, three chances she already used up.

(Chapter 27)
They saved Miko again but they looked pretty displeased that she came back and, from what I can tell, angry that she came alone… without Hana. She tried to offer the tofu as a show of grattitude but that isn’t what they wanted. At their deal in chapter 11 they probably chosen something different for payment but Miko can’t understand them. She doesn’t know what they want nor why they’re so mad. Luckily Mitsue came to rescue her, and it appears she knows who the twin girls are, or at the very least met them (and banished them?) before.

(Chapter 31, present chapter)
The god and the twin spirits came to Hana’s apartment and took away the river monster. After… “sorting” it out the god looked displeased at Miko and appeared to warn her about something, most likely their deal. The twin girls then enter and start pointing at Hana which brings me back to the possible requirements I mentioned earlier. One of them I stated was a person (most likely female) needs to be present to enter the Minatani Shrine. A person like Hana. It isn’t uncommon in mythology for a village to sacrifice a young girl in exchange for protection from a divine being. I think the price from their deal is Hana, more specifically her life aura. Miko probably has something to do with the price as well since they are taking great means, even after their expired deal, to keep the both of them alive. Or at least semi-alive since they immediately left after Hana replenished her life aura (and now we know that some (weaker) supernaturals can get hurt by being too exposed to Hana’s aura.) Maybe taking Hana away is their way of taking away her "curse"? But I feel like they'll use Hana as a fee either way.

This is just speculation and I can be wrong and we don’t know all the details but this is my best guess. On what’s happening. Also I searched up to see if there is an actual Minatani Shrine but all I got was the etymology of Minatani which means (according to the website) “from the center of the side” but not sure if this is in fact correct.

These three would actually make an awesome ghost-hunting team. Miko tracks them down, Julia feeds Hana snacks while her aura fries the ghosts.

Dex-chan lover
i just found this english-subbed , animated trailer of this manga : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsBQ4eMddiA

Dex-chan lover
page 2 : other normal , weak girls eat food from small bowls , while hana eats straight from the big pot , lol .

page 7 :
- you are sick , hana . an apple a day keeps the doctor away .
- only 1 apple ? no way . i eat 10+ apples per day .

i guess main girl has eyes of dark : she can clearly see the dark ghosts , but cant see hana 's light aura .
and twin-tail girl and godmother have eyes of light : they can slightly see the dark ghosts as shadows , but can clearly see hana 's light aura .

page 16 : in twin-tail girl 's mind , main girl is wearing the costume of godmother , maybe .

i have no theory , but IIRC , previously , the big god only sent the 2 miko foxes to save main girl , while this time , he comes to save hana personally . he gives some special treatments to hana ?

page 29 : if you are sick , then i think it is not a good idea to eat sushi ( raw fish , raw shrimp , raw cow meat ) , they will make you more sicker .

during these corona virus days , visiting a sick friend is not a good idea . at the end of this chapter , all 3 girls catches the corona virus , lol

I feel like Hana is important to the whole shrine thing because of the spirits she (or her aura) attracts. The big shrine guy only comes out to eat spirits that bother her, the twin spirits get the ghosts that notice Miko's ability to see them.

Hana seem to attract big ones that stick around for very long and eat other spirits (samurai fellow and the water glub glub one both seem to be gluttonous) and maybe that's what the big shrine guy wants to eat. Maybe that's what makes him potentially dangerous? Maybe both Miko and Hana gets 3 chances, and Miko's used up 3 (Zen's ma, creepy child and forgot the other) and Hana now 2.

While I agree with most of the other commenters predictions, I want to know what's the deal with the axe swinging guy who removes "spirits" from people. It felt like his story was cut short when Zen turned out to be how he was, so what's up? Is he our worlds version of the twins, something connected to the "fading" that Mitsue sees? He could be searching for those "spirits" which have stayed for too long, maybe said spirits must hide in humans to survive? So many questions, can't wait for the answers.

morreeeee
⢹⢽⢽⢽⢽⢽⡅⣿⠄⠈⠄⠉⠲⡸⢔⠂⠁⠄⣃⢁⡉⠠⠘⠝⠟⠂⠉⠉⠢⢿⢿⡿⣿⢿⡷⣿⢾⢇⣶⣶⣧⣭⣭⠩⣭⣭⢭⡭⣭⢭
⠄⠋⢯⡳⡯⣳⡃⣿⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠂⠄⠄⠄⠄⠃⠁⠄⠠⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⣐⡲⢶⢶⡶⣶⢶⡶⣶⢶⢨⣭⡎⡆⢒⠂⡶⡶⡶⣶⢾⢶
⣇⠉⢧⡝⢽⢕⡇⣿⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⡠⠄⠄⠄⠐⠃⠄⠐⠥⠲⣦⣶⣴⣦⣦⡻⡽⡃⠈⠠⠁⢎⠁⢋⠩⠉⡣
⣿⣇⠈⢿⣧⡙⠆⣿⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠔⠈⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠉⠓⠝⠰⠁⣀⢀⠡⠝⡔⣗⡀⠆⠄⠄
⢿⠿⡆⡘⡿⢿⠆⣿⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠔⠈⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠁⠄⡈⡲⢁⢁⠰⢅⢀⢀⢀⢀
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⡡⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠐⠄⠄⠄⠠⠄⠄⢀⠄⠄⠄⡀⠄⠄⢄⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠟⠄⠄⠂⠠⠠⠄⠄⠄⠐⠄⠄⠈⠄⠄⠠⠄⠄⠄⠠⠄⠄⠑⠚⠙⠈⠄⠄⠘⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿
⡿⣽⢽⡽⣽⢽⣽⢽⣽⡽⣽⣿⡿⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⡁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣻
⣯⢯⣟⡾⣽⣻⣾⢿⡷⣿⣿⣿⠃⠄⠄⠄⢀⠄⠁⠄⠄⠐⣼⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠐⡀⠄⠄⠄⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⢿⣿
⣿⣯⣷⣟⣯⣷⣟⣯⣿⣿⣿⣿⠄⠄⠄⠄⡀⠄⠄⠄⠄⠠⣿⡆⠄⠄⠄⠄⡀⠄⢀⠈⠄⠄⠄⠐⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⢽⣿⣷⣿⡾⡿⢝
⣿⣿⡷⣟⣷⣻⣽⣿⣯⣷⣿⣟⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⣵⢨⣿⣧⡃⠄⠈⠄⠄⠄⢸⡀⠄⡄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠐⠄⠄⠄⢸⣿⡷⢮⢵⣏⣽