Mujina into the Deep - Vol. 3 Ch. 3.4

Dex-chan lover
Getting kind of boring seeing these characters orbit around Perfect Unkillable Also-Superhuman-But-Drug-Free Gets-And-Eats-Her-Cake Tenko muninja

For how often the story uses her as a springboard to bounce off of it rings hollow for such an empty character

Oh man, there’s a fight with Tenko in it, I wonder who’s gonna win and spit some dumb zoomer catchphrase

I’ll give it one more chapter, if author can’t do something more interesting than inch towards the inevitable season finale of the two girls fight to the death, this predictable garbage’s getting dropped

Supporter
I don't think it's a parallel. Ubume's past looks a lot more serious than Main's. Main was just a dumb broad who dug her own grave. Ubume's flashbacks show hints of someone who had a real life and got pushed into the Mujina world.
Well this arc seemed to imply heavily that it's a parallel considering the similarity in hair color and how it kept switching between Main and Ubume whenever Ubume started talking like a flashback, like i thought Main was gonna be ubume to begin with before the twist
Also Main is a rando character that just got an arc for no reason, so to give it a reason i can only see the parallel being it

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.

It looks like we are in for the long haul. It's the start of third volume and we still don't know anything about Ubume's past. It will be probably 15+ volumes...

Dex-chan lover
And the jumps-behind-you combat tactics continue :kek:
And least throw a "nothing personnel kid" to make it funny

Dex-chan lover
Well this arc seemed to imply heavily that it's a parallel considering the similarity in hair color and how it kept switching between Main and Ubume whenever Ubume started talking like a flashback, like i thought Main was gonna be ubume to begin with before the twist
Also Main is a rando character that just got an arc for no reason, so to give it a reason i can only see the parallel being it
Not saying you're wrong, and I agree that the similarities between Main and Ubume were heavily emphasized in this chapter. It did give me pause, but I don't see any reason to think there are parallel/alternate realities involved (at least not yet). The impression I got was that superficial similarities were underlined in order to emphasize more fundamental differences: Ubume's intelligent and experienced realism vs. Main's simplistic and wishful naivete.

Anyway, No surprises on the battlefield tonight. I found this chapter interesting in that it played up Main's childlike, "lost lamb" qualities in order to squeeze maximum pathos from her death -- while suggesting at the same time that people like main are so common and purposeless as to be disposable. The contrast subtly seems to imply that pity has no value, that it is as trivial and self-indulgent as Main herself. This sensibility is echoed in Terumi's dispassionately anthropological view of urban Japan's (irl current) epidemic of homeless teenage girls.

...Which brings up certain questions about Asano's depiction of women and especially of stereotypically "feminine" character traits, but that's a rabbit hole I choose for the moment to skirt (ha).

Food for thought, as usual.

Last edited:
Supporter
I don't see any reason to think there are parallel/alternate realities involved
When i meant parallel i wasn't referring to alt universes multiverse etc etc. What i meant was that Main's arc was a way to expose what Ubume likely went through (not exactly like main but in a similar modus operandi of being a street girl selling herself without knowing losing to Tenko etc etc) before she became what she is currently

it was just an extremely brilliant way of telling a character's backstory without just being plain exposition and adding to the world building (if my theory is right of course)

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.

It looks like we are in for the long haul. It's the start of third volume and we still don't know anything about Ubume's past. It will be probably 15+ volumes...
FINGERS CROSSSSED!!

Group Leader
Poor Main. If there was someone capable of finishing Tenko was her.

Ubume is fucked up if she needs to confront Tenko again.

Users who are viewing this thread