Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 12 Ch. 58 - Unspeakable Strength

Fed-Kun's army
What most of you forget is that Christianity, specifically Catholicism and certain varieties of Protestantism, is the reason slavery was ended in the West. In the East, Middle and Far where Christianity is not the dominant ideology for over a thousand years, slavery is still alive and well.

Case in point; the abolitionists of America were Christian men and women trying to better obey Jesus' command to love your neighbor as yourself, and they were proselytizing their cause to mostly Christian men and women. When the USA was formed out of the ashes of the Articles of Confederation, this movement was given even greater strength by the ideology of a nation where all men were "shabby kings", owners of their own lives and destinies; a nation where despite their individual positions and wealth, no man was inherently better than any other. In a cruel irony, the "shabby kings" concept was also used to give strength to the slave-owning cause: even as the ongoing Industrial Revolution proved that an economy where all were free was greater than an economy of slavery, a desire to keep "their" property against "the degradations of the Yankees" hardened their hearts until war was the only way to settle things.

This raises an interesting question: Why did America require a civil war to break out of slavery and Britain didn't? Because the British people still considered themselves "obedient subjects", not "shabby kings". For all the little back-room skirmishes and double-dealings, for all the bloody little confrontations up and down the African coasts, the British people were not so invested in personal freedom that they would choose to defend themselves and "their property" in open war against the Crown and Parliament when the Slavery Abolition Act was passed and enforced in 1833.

Some folks have commented on how disquieting that the MC so easily goes along with slavery in this chapter; it's no surprise to me at all. Christianity had to fight against an entire world's worth of evil and apathy for over 18 centuries before a good chunk of the world could dispose of that noisome institution; why would a random Japanese neet / young man with a bloody and broken past decide to suddenly stick his neck out and oppose a practice that is, at this time, convenient for his purposes

As a NEET, I too empathize with my slave brethren. We are one and the same.

Group Leader
when you’re so deep in despair but don’t have the courage to die. i can totally relate to that...

Aggregator gang
The beginning of this story was excellent up untill he returned from the demon continent, however it has been shit ever since then. I find myself skipping entire pages because it is cringe and unbearably badly written. What is with this weird "relating to the slave because he was a neet", Sylphy blue balling us by not revealing her identity, and insane cringe interaction with the bald dude. This is unbearable to read, lets move to the next arc already.

Dex-chan lover
This is like someone who broke an arm relating to someone who was born without arms

@ninjadork
What most of you forget is that Christianity, specifically Catholicism and certain varieties of Protestantism, is the reason slavery was ended in the West.
I'm sorry, but it's bullshit. Christianity did not help abolish slavery, at all. Bible not only condones slavery but encourages it in some cases. And at that time almost everybody was a Christian in the west, so good people who ended slavery were Christian but so were people who were pro-slavery.[ul][/ul]

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, a classic staple of isekai - the MC buying slaves.

@ninjadork
Christianity had to fight against an entire world's worth of evil and apathy for over 18 centuries before a good chunk of the world could dispose of that noisome institution
Have you even read the Bible? It's more that they ended slavery despite, and not because of, bs religious writings.

Fed-Kun's army
@CBAROG @criver If you actually knew a fraction as much about the Bible as you claim, you would know full well that the Old Testament and the New Testament serve completely different purposes. The Old Testament is a historical recounting intended to show Christians what came before them and why Jesus was a necessity. The New Testament is a recounting of the life and teachings of Jesus, and how they apply to those given salvation. In particular, an important part of Christian theology is how the laws of the Old Testament were rendered invalid by the Crucifixion. You can look that up at your leisure, but for now let's talk about slavery in the New Testament.

The writers of the New Testament had a difficult task concerning slavery; trying to end it during one of the heights of the Roman Empire, a nation that not only was not Christian but habitually dealt with dissenters through torture and slaughter. Promoting the end of slavery in a way that didn't get the nascent Catholic Church wiped out before it could grow required a far more delicate touch than the abolitionists of the 18th and 19th centuries would ever need to use. The writers would end up taking a sort of multi-pronged assault; most of them would play the long game by promoting the idea that all men are equal under God. An example is Ephesians 6:5-9 - slaves are exhorted to serve their masters well, and in return masters are pushed to treat their slaves kindly; a hard but useful step closer to the ideal of "love your neighbor as yourself".

When possible, direct (though not necessarily violent) opposition to slavers is promoted. Timothy 1:8-11 explicitly calls them "lawless" (as in, against the law of God) and lists them in the same category as perjurers and murderers. Revelations 18:10-14 condemns those who seek profit at the expense of others (in this case, manifested in the personage of Babylon), and "traders in human slaves (sometimes translated as "bodies", a euphemism for slaves)" is explicitly mentioned.

Nation-building is a centuries-long process, and the writers of the New Testament knew full well that they would die long before they saw Christianity reach its full growth. Their task was to lay the groundwork in a fashion that would see the church flourish and all of mankind raised up to better heights, even if they themselves would die long before that ever came to pass.

I'm presuming that the two of you live in Western nations (but please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm curious; do you think your legal systems and social cultures of equality simply sprang out of "the inherent goodness of human hearts"?

Dex-chan lover
@ninjadork

In particular, an important part of Christian theology is how the laws of the Old Testament were rendered invalid by the Crucifixion.
Ah yes indeed, we can deny inconvenient parts when necessary.

required a far more delicate touch than the abolitionists of the 18th and 19th centuries would ever need to use.
Then your holy book probably needs an update to get with the times, don't you think? That's one of the major issues with religions, you have some nice things in there, mixed in with
a load of other bs, which actually makes it worse, since now you can try to "justify" the bs parts by referring to the ok parts (basically what you are doing atm). The other part is
specifically not taking a firm stance on something, so you can "reinterpret" it later on.
Anyways, one should never trust teachings that preach suspending one's mental faculties because they need to have "faith".

When possible, direct (though not necessarily violent) opposition to slavers is promoted.
Basically what I said about mixing in good ideas with garbage ideas. Sure, the bible is not the word of Satan (joke intended), but it's neither the word of some omnipotent holy being.

I'm curious; do you think your legal systems and social cultures of equality simply sprang out of "the inherent goodness of human hearts"?
The legal systems "sprang out" of necessity, and currently has little to do with religion, unless you are referring specifically to Sharia law. If anything one of the major
"advancements" was the separation of religion from law, otherwise you would still be living in the middle ages carrying out witch hunts and having a nice time with the
Inquisition. Today's social cultures have little to do with religion in many places, especially religiously tolerant ones, even though the largest religions are inherently
intolerant to others such, pretty ironic. As for the inherent goodness of human hearts, it is called empathy - it is biologically founded and doesn't require you to read
some archaic teachings. If anything you'd be better off reading some books on ethics, since those are usually not diluted with indocrinating bs.

@ninjadork No, it wasn't out of sudden kindness, it was a long process and interestingly enough it was not influenced by religion. Our morality shifted towards individual liberty and it was not possible with slavery still around. Strangely enough your book didn't change for at least a thousand years so where did this sudden aversion to slavery come in Christianity? Also, Christianity was in full power long before abolitionists even came to be so why didn't the church end slavery if Christianity is against it?
And no, I'm not an expert on the bible at all, but I can easily find some abhorrent crap in it that doesn't fit in today's morals at all. Pretty strange considering it was written under guidance of an omni-everything deity.

Haha i told this chapter would be "controversial" to these narrow minded kids here.

Imagine if this chapter was about normalized slavery + normalized rape. Please, avoid Vinland Saga guys.

"ah but he came from modern japan"

Great, so when you come to Mauritania for tourism, i want you all fighting every tuareg tribe around to stop any trace of slavery! Just do it weebs!

Group Leader
How the fuck the comment section turn into a debate about religion, lmao.

Dex-chan lover
@JakkRo
Imagine if this chapter was about normalized slavery + normalized rape.
It helps that it usually comes in one package. Not in this manga probably, but you have other isekai for that.

Great, so when you come to Mauritania for tourism, i want you all fighting every tuareg tribe around to stop any trace of slavery! Just do it weebs!
Might as well bring a few slaves back home, am I right? Because that's the correct analogy to what the MC is doing. He's buying a child to make figurines for his
aristocrat "friends". It's always fun watching ethics and morals explode in flames in manga.

@ninjadork USA was one of the last countries to end slavery Christianity was super late when compared to the rest of the world, that explanation is silly

Slavery still exists in Western countries, but we use terms like trafficked human or undocumented migrant worker to make ourselves believe that they are being moved around, rather than being actively exploited (for our benefit, no less) within our own borders.

We feel pretty comfortable referring to those same groups of people as slaves once they cross into a non-Western country, though.

bring slavery, rape, or anything that tickles their agendas into the story, and youll see all kinds of people commenting on it.

seriously guys, you need to stop.

Dex-chan lover
@holatuwol
The difference being that it is not normalized, is illegal, and considered morally wrong.

@kazu19
I don't think anyone would have an issue if it is not the MC supposedly coming from the 21st century involving himself with those. It doesn't fit in with his character either - I don't remember him being a sociopath. It's basically inconsistent characterisation which has little to do with any imagined agendas of the commenters.

Users who are viewing this thread