Musket Girls! ~Tensei Sanbou to Senretsu Otome-tachi~

Double-page supporter
Welp, now I read it and am excited for the next chapter.

Hyougetsu did it again, somehow, despite setting up the most trash-generic possible isekai harem setup (although it is tagged as a harem on NovelUpdates so I guess that wasn't avoidable).

Like usual, a satisfying isekai that doesn't feel the need to constantly suck off the MC even though he is pretty much just a regular old super-overpowered beats everyone at everything guy. As a fan of his previous work in a fantasy setting, it's gratifying to see the depth of Hyougetsu's understanding of the political and military complexities of Napoleonic Europe, as well as the overarching class structure and social hierarchy that dominated the continent.

I'll put the rest of my nerd-ass observations about the setting into this spoiler:

-the mc's magical kendo club powers are pretty funny
-the mc's understanding of basic teamwork and group psychology is juuuuust right. really, this is Hyougetsu's power, understanding how to contextualize a character based on their circumstances and material conditions.
-it's pretty clear that the 6th STB's CO is completely out of her depth and has no idea what she's doing, but she's not a bad person. there's an honest appreciation for her efforts to do something for these women, and she is an intelligent person who can figure out the reasons behind the mc's actions.
-the setting accurately depicts the soldiers of that era as one step above common criminals (I did some really cringe fistpumping when I saw that MC's mentor was the prototypical "retired" (frequently deserted) European soldier turned gentleman criminal), but also that the society of that time benefitted greatly from this unequal treatment of the poor and common, to fuel their constant wars and border skirmishes.
-I got got by the MC requesting cavalry carbines for the troops, and then Alzer correctly stating that it would reduce effective range, and then the MC just invents minie balls. It's kind of strange that Alzer has somehow never heard of the concept of a rifled firearm barrel before, though. I've never been in a situation reading a historical isekai where I expect the story to go a certain way (I immediately assumed that MC would train the women as light infantry/voltigeurs/rangers), have it go in the complete opposite direction (cavalry carbines?!) and then flip back to a sane outcome through a very good use of isekai tech tree bullshit. And it doesn't even feel like bullshit because it's only going maybe 25-50 years into the future. How does Hyougetsu do it, I do not know.
-despite being a harem (I've seen the novel covers, the writing is on the wall) the women are treated as characters in their own right, and it's kind of cute to see Sgt. Major Heiden falling for the MC. This is one of the real wildcards in this setting as if it does become a harem that would be pretty sad. I do understand though, if the author wants sales, it's an easy method, and it can't have been easy going through all the bullshit that happened to their previous work.

Group Leader
I have Chapters 4, 5, 6 in High Resolution and Cleaned - If anyone wants to Translate and Typeset they are ready for anyone to use.

Fed-Kun's army
I used to look down on faux-Euro settings, but this one is well done and overcomes that handicap.

Fed-Kun's army
MC like this is my JAM!! He's not overpowered, even if he has the "Grim Reaper Radar" There's still a chance that he can die, if he ends up with a harem he deserved it, he's a gentleman, logical to both genders, and gives proof and results, truly someone you can aspire to

The supporting cast is good too, the squad sucks ass in the beginning, but due to proper training they become true soldiers, their motivation might be impure like ogling the MC or simple stuff like having sweets but that's very human

I always love people who do hard work and don't skip corners, and I look forward to future chapters, thank you for the translation! :win:

Users who are viewing this thread