My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Erica Sumeragi

Dex-chan lover
Erica? Task? Why don't you just translate it as Erika and Tasuku? They're a Japanese family, with a Japanese family surname, living in a Japanese mansion, wearing Japanese kimono. I understand, "it's a medieval setting and so it's not realistic that there's a Japanese family." Brother, it's not just any medieval setting, it's a *game* first and foremost. It's just natural for Japs games, especially harem ones, to have a wild variety of characters. From an elf to a rare God character to even some alien from planet what-its-name.

Just, give them Japanese names, will you?

Fed-Kun's army
@Moth the novel itself fell downhill after
Arnold joining the army and the author sticking with the "avoiding death flags" as if the mc's brain can't think about any other way to go through about the story
It can't be helped. The concept was good but the author was not on par.

@Azure_1802 Because the author has a bubble gum instead of brain so he can't think beyond the safe box he created. Trust me, frustration is what I got the most reading the novel.

Dex-chan lover
@macarroiz
the novel itself fell downhill after (spoilers)
He explains himself pretty well in the novel several times mate. If he goes too far off track then he runs a serious risk of either messing up events so badly that he has no idea what will happen next when his single biggest advantage is his knowledge of all future events, or risks something worse like making it so the protagonist in unable to stop the world ending threat that's looming 10 years or so down the line.
It can't be helped. The concept was good but the author was not on par.
Hard disagree, your reasoning is terrible.

I don't see why she needs to hate him to help the hero. It's not like men go to war only if they hate their wives...

Dex-chan lover
@YuriIsTooLewd
She's the main girl, he needs to drive her away so she will go journey with the hero instead of hanging around him.

As for any suggestion that he charms her and then asks her to go along with the hero, if that's your plan? Harold's mouth is nigh-unstoppable and his parent's general contempt for the commoners would make that impossible. She's basically the second most important character in the game, if he does anything that drives the plot too far off the rails then his knowledge of the game's events becomes useless and he risks the end of the world being unstoppable. Erika especially he has to be careful of and have her motivations remain roughly as they were given her importance to the plot and the power of the hero's party.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify @YuriIsTooLewd
(Turns out I'm mainly agreeing with Amplify, but it took a second rereading for me to understand that, so perhaps I'm wording things differently below.)

She doesn't have to hate him. (Indeed, he explicitly doesn't want that, because it's mean and possibly a death flag for him personally.)

But if she doesn't befriend someone in the heroic party, the world ends, and his personal flags doesn't matter anymore.

And his worries are that if she hangs around him, she won't happen to meet and befriend one of the heroes.
And if she ain't a friend with the heroes, she probably won't go. Either because he can't tell her how important it is (his mouth is not under his complete control after all), or the heroes won't accept her (thinking she's a poison pill), or even if she does go, they might not cooperate as well as they would need to.

Hence he'll try to aim for a level of mere hostility instead of hatred. (But he'll probably fail with that ;)

@Amplify
Wait, isn't Colette supposed to be the main heroine? That's what they said in ch1. Anyway, you are right: the hero may end up with a sub-par healer, he may have some trauma by seeing a friend dying, then return home depressed instead of fighting the big bad, and the world ends. Sure. Or maybe the Big bad will come earlier due to MC introducing a agricultural revolution before time, or any of the changes he did. What's the point of having knowledge if he is too scared to use it? If he knows the story well, it wouldn't be so hard to make up some hypothetical and likely scenarios/deviations and prepare for them too. He is going to change things anyway, unless he wants to end up dead.

@Simpleton
No, someone from the hero party knows his true side, as he saved both her, her mum, and gave them a lot of money. As long as he doesn't worsen his relationship with them, I don't see why they wouldn't trust his fiance. Not to mention that if she is such a 'love even the evil monster' it shouldn't be that hard to make her go save the world.

To Both:
You both say that she won't understand that he is a tzundere, but every character he has interacted with so far has understood that. The likelihood of her stopping at his facade at this point is pretty low. He could make those who understand him explain things, if his mouth is not under his control. He could also create his own party using his knowledge, in case the hero has some problems, as it doesn't seem like he is weak. As per the parents, I'm sure some he can bullshit them by something akin to 'only our superior blood-like could save the world, not that puny peasant hero.' or similar.

Still, I get the meta-reason of giving him limitations, and it's a good story. Just saying that to me his strategy is not the best. Trying to make only the changes that won't change the future seems worse then make all changes you can while preparing for the unknown.

Dex-chan lover
@YuriIsTooLewd Oh, I fully agree that he's (probably) worrying too much. (And I'm assuming the plot will end up thinking the same as well.)

But since he's working with world-ending challenges (and not only his own life) I can appreciate that he's being careful.

Especially since he has no guarantee that people won't forget about him helping them, or making up negative reasons for it (since everyone else tells them he's evil, then maybe it really was some kind of plot).
(Also in some of these stories the "game history" is a ruling force that can "put things back on track" - might not happen, but with his genre savvy he'd probably be slightly worried about that as well.)

@Simpleton
I don't see any plot out of saving a random maid's life, but sure. The daughter is young and her peers may influence her. I don't know the hero's personality, so I can't say what he should do, but if that's a problem he could create his own party.

I personally don't appreciate him being 'careful', but that's probably due to me thinking that maximizing his advantage and planning for the unknown is more likely to succeed than relying on the known to happen, when he'll surely end up outside of it. This doesn't mean that he has to be greedy, as some future knowledge may be worth more then the current one, but I still don't agree with his reasons.

If the game is forcing the original plot to happen, than what's the problem? The game will make sure that the hero will beat the big bad and prevent the end of the world. One thing less to worry about. If anything his strategy of minimal changes is less likely to save his life in this case.

Dex-chan lover
@YuriIsTooLewd
If the game is forcing the original plot to happen, than what's the problem?
It's not, it's a real world that happens to be identical to the game world. The characters from the game will still act like themselves, and things like if it rained on X day will still rain on X day, but he doesn't have any guarantees beyond that.

I wonder if CyGames just stole the name Erika Sumeragi from the novel to use in Shadowverse

Users who are viewing this thread