My Father 68y/o, My Mother 64y/o, Me 24y/o - Oneshot

Dex-chan lover
I cared for my grandmother while she was in the earlier stages on dementia. She would get angry and very depressed at times, but strangest to live with was how she would make sense of missing information.
She had forgotten how to prepare food on the stove, so I took over cooking at least one proper meal a day for her, until one day we had to have our gas supply cut off due to a leak. I ordered an electric hotplate which arrived by post, which she excitedly opened because she was already sick of microwave and takeaway meals. When it was unpackaged, she looked puzzled, then asked "where do you put the food?". I will never forget how hurt she looked when I didn't understand the question, and she must have realised she had said something that didn't make sense. I found her later trying to toast bread by simply laying a slice on the bare hotplate, obviously burning the bread and damaging the appliance. It broke my heart to be honest. Although not as much as when she lamented how her sister never visited her, but corrected herself saying she understands how she's busy with kids and lives so far away. Her sister had died some years ago.

@Ametroid that's cause after you work depending on the amount of time you earn a Pension, which allows you to have a income after you retire and so that old people don't just die after they can no longer work. Most long term jobs have one.
@boag lol social safety nets are what allow the middle class to function and stop bosses from treating workers like slaves.

Dex-chan lover
@Magboost They were having problems with money with his income plus their other income.
So
Son's income + Parent's income/pension/ect = barely enough
Son's ZERO + Parent's income/pension/ect = still enough???

Well outside of the stuff MR.Fun place mentions the cost of everything isn't constant, since the son was able to become a office working the cost of Regular, Cram, and Collage are gone., themnot worrying about the Mortgage of the house that's gone. Plus most old people don't move so the cost of transit is gone alongside the fact that the dad doesn't really have any hobbies means that they only thing the have to really pay for are Utilities, Medicine and Food.

Plus I might be looking at this wrong but I think you might have mixed up the son not having enough to send his dad to a retirement home with the family having enough to survive at all.

Dex-chan lover
@Magboost
Explain then why Japan has a depression and suicide problem stemmed from People overworking themselves to death?
This entire story is a nadir.

How would he have enough money to keep his parents and himself happy when more than 50% of his income gets taxed?

This is why, having kids early is better than having kids late. Jk.

Fed-Kun's army
most Asians still stigmatize the usage of nursing houses by constantly relating it to not being grateful to your parents, I think that was what the father was concerned about. My last high school charity work was to a nursing house. They shared their stories and most of them are happier there and they're visited constantly by their children. Except for a few who don't have any child or have bad relationship with their family.

Had to take care of grandma back when she was first diagnosed with dementia.

This hits so damn close to home.

Dex-chan lover
Make sure to save for retirement folks, you don't want to end up like this. If you care about your kids make sure you have everything you need to take care of yourself, not be a burden to them when you are old.

Users who are viewing this thread