My ID Is Gangnam Beauty - Ch. 64 - Sooah (2)

Dex-chan lover
literally didnt even bother to read anything, just skip this bitch story pls

Dex-chan lover
For the people who don't want to read. It's pretty much how she shape her personality and wanting no one to abandon her.

i skipped these 2 chapters, but unfortunately the next chapter is still about her...

for people who dislike sooah, the last arc (basically the rest of the manhwa) is centered around her so yeah.. do with that what you will.

It's not like her story isn't interesting, cause it is. It also explains most of her behaviour, that otherwise was purely psychotic/evil/insane. The thing is, for me it's kinda a little bit too late. Too late down the story for me to change my opinion, too late for me to care enough or feel bad for her. And in no way excuses not even a tiny bit what she has done to Mi Rae. She pretended to be her best friend but each time she turned her back, she backstabbed her and then acted kind about it. That still is psycho behaviour. Nothing will change that. I really hope in the end, her and Mi Rae don't become friends. Just because you end up understanding someone, doesn't mean you should keep them in your life.

kyn

Lmao wtf, am I the only one who finds the reason offered for why Sooah was bullied to be absolutely absurd?

I do hope that Sooah does improve after this, but I don't know if she'll ever be able to fully redeem herself, considering how late into the story it already is. I'd just wait until we actually get to that point.

I also don't get how the reasons for them bullying her not make sense. They're bullying her because she doesn't know how to clean herself, so she's constantly dirty and smells a lot, too. The abandonment thing is another thing for them to make fun of her for, because they already started, so might as well keep on making fun of her for everything else in her life.

@kyn
It's not that absurd, tbh. Especially when one is a kid. One of the previous chapter's commentators put it best: children look for no reason to bully or pick on someone - and sometimes, they look for the most "absurd" thing (weight, physique - just the fact they are different than them). Heck, I was once picked on in middle school because of my name, and it bothered me a lot (my name was pretty common to start with, but why some random classmate thought it was worthy to bully me for? I'll never know), it's pretty silly, don't you think?

The thing with Sooah... I don't think the author really wants the reader to sympathize with her and put her in a better place, but understand why she is like that (even this late in the game) and put some parallels with Mirae. Kyungsuk's mother mentioned to her that it may look they are more similar than she thought. And, just this chapter kinda points it out, even though they put their experiences to the opposite poles just to accomplish a beauty standard (Sooah puts herself in a higher pedestal because of the praise and became "fake" for others; Mirae, even though she improved her looks, she still felt insecure about her own worth).

I... just feel sorry for Sooah (it's... pitiful, more than anything). I still think she is a b*tch, though, for all the bads she did to Mirae just for pretty shallow reasons. Her past does not condone her present actions, at all, but it helps to understand why her real personality is so... twisted.

Young minds r like wet clay .... if u dont have proper guidance when growing up .... u really cant make a proper decision.....
Our parents/ guardian unknowingly guides us to what's right n wrong (thank God for tht)
We take this for granted but it helps us to mould our future accordingly....
Picking on kids who r different n lower then the common kids around will always get picked at there is no reason or rhyme on it.... be it any reason.
Readers who dont sympathize on sooah .... sud knw there r ppl who get effected by such things just for the acceptance in this cruel society
I think she needs help ( a doctor) n some1 true who she can trust n will never betray her trust then maybe she might be a change person ....

So she got bullied because no one bothered to teach her how to shower or to clean herself?? That's a bit of a stretch even for a manga lol.

Fed-Kun's army
Dammit why does autho think we need multiple chapters of this trash?
IDK how he expects us to sympathize with someone as selfish as her, it's just not possible...

Dex-chan lover
@FrostyHi5 & @kyn: I don't think it's a good plot device and I don't like my feeling about what it's going to be used for. But I don't find the actual abuse, the bullying, or the reason for the bullying to be a stretch at all. Real people get abused like that, and real people get bullied for way stupider reasons. I myself have been bullied for way stupider reasons.

What I do find unrealistic is the notion that she'd start taking showers and the bullying would just go away. That's ridiculous. Once people start bullying a person, they don't stop unless someone new and more fun to bully comes along and the fashion shifts, or something dramatic happens to shut it down. Once it's begun, nobody cares why it started or whether that reason is still there; you're bullied because you're bullied, and you're assumed to be a proper target for bullying because people have been targeting you for bullying. In real life nobody would have noticed that she'd started washing or that she was maybe attractive, the whole thing had started feeding on itself long before and short of becoming a really vicious fighter and beating some people up bad, there was nothing she could have done to stop it. Seriously, if you're a major bullying target the options for ending it are getting randomly lucky, leaving, beating the shit out of the bullies (which is often just not feasible no matter how much you want to), or somehow provoking a truly massive, ongoing adult response on your side (which is in many settings not available). Changing yourself to become less the victim type is not relevant--that's good prevention, but it will not end something once it's under way. People's ideas about you are already formed and have little vulnerability to the reality of you. And they're having too much fun being bastards and maintaining social solidarity at your expense to be willing to change their minds.
(As a side note--the fact that you can't stop bullying does not mean I advocate "just ignoring" your bullies, as stupid parents often do. Bullies won't bully you less if you don't react, if anything they'll just keep pushing, and you yourself will feel like a loser. So fight back--you might as well, you'll feel better about yourself, and maybe you'll manage to hurt some of the bastards. You'll get more respect from anyone who isn't in on it, too. Except the kind of stupid authority figures who have no interest in being any use--they'll get on your case for fighting back maybe, but they can suck it.)

This would make more sense if she got transferred at the same time she learned how to stay clean; in her new debut, she might be treated better.

I agree with Purplelibraryguy that a sudden dramatic shift in Sooah's popularity seems unlikely, especially as no reason beyond better hygiene is given. But it's now obvious why she "befriended" Mirae--she wanted to make sure a girl she perceived as less attractive than herself was always by her side, making her look good in more than one sense of the word.

I: Don't give a flying fuck about Sooah, she's still absolute trash at the end of the day. Not even her pity story can help her out. Yes bullying is real and serious, but you'd at least think, that after she suffered through all of that, she'd sympathise with how someone else feels. But no, she treats people who've been in the same position as her like shit, she treats people who actually want a genuine relationship with her like shit, she doesn't even behave genuinely except for when she's alone being a total BRAT. I hope her Stalker wakes her TF up . Tbh I HOPE the author doesn't go the cliche route and have kyungsuk oh so nicely save her. No thanks. Manipulative b**ches like her need to know how to be humble and stop thinking so insidiously. I'm not gping to deny that she needs to go get a therapist, for sure.

To the people that "can't" understand Sooha, Probably you are not mature enough to understand others feelings, and never being abused in your life, so you can't empathise anyone that look "bad" in your narrow world, that means you are black and white person... and you need to grow up

@relic626 @LazyMaria
To whom who didn't understand:
Sooha being abused by entire family including her mother who ignore and abandon her.

She tought that if she will be pretty and "pure" ( clean in the shower is a symbol) she won't even need to get trought this nightmare again, so she stay lonely but protect present situation when she don't hurt by anybody.

@ Purplelibraryguy
the possibility that the kids shift their mind because she became pretty is very logic in the SK socity, when people brainwashed that if you are beautiful you are something special and need to be treathed like a queen

The big issue here is that she need to be "pretty and nice" all the time no matter how she feelings inside , and that is the idea behind all the webtoon,************if she is not pretty and pure she is trash.*************
This is how people value a woman or a girl in SK, and not only there

@Kakao i see you are Sooah's lawyer, then explain to me why does she hate Mirae so much from the first day, first meeting? why is she so fixated on Mirae, why does she want to hurt her and make her unhappy? her past doesn't justify her action towards Mirae, the end.

Users who are viewing this thread