my microsd card isnt showing , why?

Dex-chan lover
ive had this around 1TB SDXC chip for my laptop from about september or october ish, i use it to store my drawings, save audio and keep videos. yesterday, it stopped showing up on my laptop. i've tried multiple things, and to no avail. I've also tried "uninstalling" the drive from memory of my laptop [im pretty sure the stuff saved on the chip is still there tho] and i dont know how to get it back [i also swapped the adapter thing , and that didnt work]

am i fucked?
[sorry if i shouldnt post this here, but i need help hasjdnas, if you want to , feel free to contact me via discord [username and whatnot in my about]

Group Leader
Yeah, from my experience, microSD cards are easily damaged and have a short lifespan. For computer use, it's better to opt for an external HDD.
812p+EpxiBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, from my experience, microSD cards are easily damaged and have a short lifespan. For computer use, it's better to opt for an external HDD.
View attachment 3734
Ah I have one of those too- I think,
(Also around a tb) For my games.
Ig I'll swap to that, if others respond (if they don't work)

Dex-chan lover
Try it in another computer. If it still doesn't work, it's probably dead.

All forms of storage eventually fail if you use them long enough. I have dead HDDs, SSDs, and SD cards. The better brands have fewer failures, but there is always a chance. That's why frequent backups are always best practice.

Even if it is under warranty, a hardware failure is pretty much the end of the line for your data. Many data recovery services would only attempt a software data recovery and won't be getting your data back after a hardware failure. I'd expect the kind of precision work needed to recover data from a card needing a hardware repair to cost several hundred dollars.

Dex-chan lover
Try it in another computer. If it still doesn't work, it's probably dead.

All forms of storage eventually fail if you use them long enough. I have dead HDDs, SSDs, and SD cards. The better brands have fewer failures, but there is always a chance. That's why frequent backups are always best practice.

Even if it is under warranty, a hardware failure is pretty much the end of the line for your data. Many data recovery services would only attempt a software data recovery and won't be getting your data back after a hardware failure. I'd expect the kind of precision work needed to recover data from a card needing a hardware repair to cost several hundred dollars.
I don't have a spare laptop/computer. Will my phone work maybe? (But Ty nonetheless =D )

There are special software that you can find on the internet to retrieve « broken partition » (meaning broken or functional files) from your sd card. Google it and if you’re lucky you can retrieve your files.

Dex-chan lover
There are special software that you can find on the internet to retrieve « broken partition » (meaning broken or functional files) from your sd card. Google it and if you’re lucky you can retrieve your files.
Worth a try.
If the drive shows up in your computer's disk utility but not the file manager or it comes up as an unformatted drive, it could just be corrupt, and can possibly be recovered with software.

I use TestDisk and PhotoRec because I'm a cheapskate and the premium software isn't any better - just more pretty on the screen.

If TestDisk can't find and fix it, it has probably failed physically. Unfortunately this was the case for the last 2 SD cards I tried to save, but I did manage to save most of my photos on another one that went corrupt in the past.

I usually make an image of the raw data with Clonezilla first. TestDisk can also make a dump/image of the raw data. Then I run the data recovery on the image. This mitigates the risk of accidentally overwriting any data on the original or introducing additional wear to a potentially failing disk. If I am going to attempt any write operations on disk or the image, I make sure to keep an untouched backup of the image in-case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'm just swapping out my internal SSD with a higher capacity one. That way I can just download games and movies on the main drive without having to plug anything in.
Doing so does require owning an appropriate external dock and the technical skills to both swap out the hardware and correctly use appropriate software to clone an operating system drive.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Worth a try.
If the drive shows up in your computer's disk utility but not the file manager or it comes up as an unformatted drive, it could just be corrupt, and can possibly be recovered with software.

I use TestDisk and PhotoRec because I'm a cheapskate and the premium software isn't any better - just more pretty on the screen.

If TestDisk can't find and fix it, it has probably failed physically. Unfortunately this was the case for the last 2 SD cards I tried to save, but I did manage to save most of my photos on another one that went corrupt in the past.

I usually make an image of the raw data with Clonezilla first. TestDisk can also make a dump/image of the raw data. Then I run the data recovery on the image. This mitigates the risk of accidentally overwriting any data on the original or introducing additional wear to a potentially failing disk. If I am going to attempt any write operations on disk or the image, I make sure to keep an untouched backup of the image in-case something goes wrong.
hey there so it wasnt working and i wanted to uninstall it / delete it and i cant uhm, please tell me how to?
if you've given me like a virus im blaming u [sorry] atyghdbjanm

edit: nvm i just had to force stop it with task manager we all good i deleted it

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
hey there so it wasnt working and i wanted to uninstall it / delete it and i cant uhm
also im pretty sure i mentioned this but i did say in "uninstalled" the drive and cant re install it [its nnot clicking properly into my laptop so that MAY be the main problem]

Dex-chan lover
hey there so it wasnt working and i wanted to uninstall it / delete it and i cant uhm, please tell me how to?

edit: nvm i just had to force stop it with task manager we all good i deleted it
Those are command line tools. You can't just click and run. You need to open them from a terminal. You may need to read the documentation to learn how to use them properly.
There exists other software with a pretty graphical interface, but this is free and it gets the job done.
also im pretty sure i mentioned this but i did say in "uninstalled" the drive and cant re install it [its nnot clicking properly into my laptop so that MAY be the main problem]
Am I to understand that you physically removed it and it won't go back into the slot properly?
  • And you're not putting it in upside-down?
  • Does it keep ejecting?
    • You may need to push it in a bit deeper with your fingernail to get it all the way into the slot for it to stay.
Have you tried a USB card reader? If you don't have one, you probably should get one. It's an inexpensive way to find out if the card or the slot on the laptop is the issue and also a useful tool to have lying around to let you use your SD card in any computer like a flash drive.

Dex-chan lover
Those are command line tools. You can't just click and run. You need to open them from a terminal. You may need to read the documentation to learn how to use them properly.
There exists other software with a pretty graphical interface, but this is free and it gets the job done.

Am I to understand that you physically removed it and it won't go back into the slot properly?
  • And you're not putting it in upside-down?
  • Does it keep ejecting?
    • You may need to push it in a bit deeper with your fingernail to get it all the way into the slot for it to stay.
Have you tried a USB card reader? If you don't have one, you probably should get one. It's an inexpensive way to find out if the card or the slot on the laptop is the issue and also a useful tool to have lying around to let you use your SD card in any computer like a flash drive.
i dont feel like downloading any more apps because it makes me uncomfortble sorry sgydhjadhaj
response to card reader thing : my dad probably has some spare at work, so we can see if that is the case next time he goes :thumbsup: [if he dont forget 💀 ]

im not putting it in upside down and its just not clicking in at all, its not doin anythin [which i find weird] , its just sliding in and is too easy to take out [i dont know how to put this, i just hope you know what i mean].

in the end if it doesnt work i have most of my work posted online, but its nice to have unwatermarked images in case someone does something to the work. i have my other drive for games and i have around half[?] my space left so it'll be alright i think.

[also thank you for putting up with me ahjksdajsk]

Users who are viewing this thread