My Mobster Girlfriend

I enjoy this series way more than i should. Shout out to Lei -- i dunno you, but i appreciate you

Dex-chan lover
My man
has two beauties all over him who are his true friends, and he prefers the girl that barely talks to him and treats him like shit?
Of course he does

Dex-chan lover
@SoLei No matter what, I still see them as their names... My mind just cannot process them as honorifics... I'm so used to Japanese honorifics. Guess I'm just not used to them and eventually will understand them...

Group Leader
@morichiro
Yeah, probs. I think I get you. I have trouble remembering character names when I read Korean manhwa.
Just takes getting used to I guess! I don't know if this'll be helpful, but here's a list of some of the honorifics I've used so far in case I use one and don't add a note and you forgot what it meant:

Key:
☐ is where you put the name

Preface:
Often in Chinese, if someone is your elder, it's more polite to call them by a title than their name.
This is why Zhang Nan calls Li Si Si, who is his senior, "Xue Jie", while calling Wang Xi and Chen Ge, who are in the same school year as him "Wang Xi tong xue" and "Chen Ge tong xue". It's probably like calling someone "senpai".
Also, like how in many countries children refer to their parents "mum" and "dad" and not by their name, in China, younger siblings usually substitute their older sibling's name with "big sis" or "big bro" like that.

[ul]小 ☐ Xiao - Means small/young. Put before a name to show familiarity and affection. (Think of it as like -chan? Maybe? But just as a quick note, it isn't always used as a honorific since sometimes people have names/nicknames that have "Xiao" in them)[/ul]
[ul]☐大哥 Da Ge - Means eldest brother. Also a polite form of address for a man about one's own age. "Da Ge" can also mean gang leader/boss. [/ul]
[ul]☐同学 Tong Xue- Means student. Put after a name to indicate that they are a student. [/ul]
[ul]☐学姐 Xue Jie - Senior female student. [/ul]
[ul]☐哥哥 Ge Ge - What you call your older brother, or just a guy older than you (If you read manhwa, it's like Oppa I think)[/ul]

Tell me if I've missed anything out

My Girlfriend is a Villain, except she's not my girlfriend and won't be since is not romance and also is not a villain, just sounds cool.
This should be romance but okay.

@SoLei, thank you for all your hard work translating this. I know it must be hard being the sole translator and (maybe, and in an indirect way) having to deal with people's demands and complaints (such as the manga not having a lot of romance, the "clickbait-y" title, etc), but I hope you know your work is appreciated. Regarding the manhua, I'm liking it a lot. The drawings are great and as has been discussed already, I like how Zhangnan isn't a common MC. Looking forward to the next chapters!

Dex-chan lover
@SoLei thanks for that, it really helped. Even more for actually taking the time, really appreciate it!

Group Leader
@Solei I disagree when you wrote that there are just "titbits of romance" and "it's not the focus of the story" (in a note at the end of chapter 42). In my opinion, romance is a very important part of the story.
Lots of mainstream stories rely on characters always anxious about confessions & dates & 1st kisses, etc, as well as a lot of awkward situations (boys accidentally groping girls, etc) and other lewd stuff (panties shots, girls bathing in hot springs, etc).
In comparison, "My Girlfriend is a Villain" simply doesn't need to over-rely on such tricks to keep us reading. But the love feelings are there! They are just not expressed in the usual flashy way, but clearly suggested. I think it is the pinnacle of the author's skill: the necessary things are shown, it conveys just enough emotions, and we can understand and dream of and imagine the rest.
And all this feelings & relationships get naturally woven with the rest of the story =)
No need for the MC to see the girls naked every other chapters! Cheng Ge wiping out bad guys with a RPG, Blake performing mouth-to-mouth, and the catastrophic part-time job day at a very unlucky café are much worthier moments! =)
The romance stuff is quite unusual, but that's even funnier!

"My Girlfriend Is a villain" is really an excellent mix of serious plot, crazy characters & situations, epic fights... and love!

So thank you very much for translating this great series! =)

PS: I'm really looking forward to reading "Rebirth: I am a great peerless immortal urban magic sandbag king alchemist cultivation master in another world"! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread