My S-Rank Party Fired Me for Being a Cursificer: I Can Only Make “Cursed Items”, but They're Artifact Class! - Vol. 4 Ch. 14.1

Dex-chan lover
Maybe it's just me, but I believe the empire sending assassins to murder the kingdom's princess is a pretty solid reason to terminate marriage negotiations. It wasn't even a nameless assassin merely lurking in the dark, it was an actual, confirmed delegation from the empire. It has got nothing to do with the kingdom if it was connected to the empire's inheritance struggle. It was an assassination attempted under the flag of the empire, and thus it's the empire's responsibility, unless they can somehow explain and compensate for it. Saying "We don't know how our delegation got infiltrated by multiple assassins. Sorry." doesn't cut it in international politics, unless the empire is 10 times stronger than the kingdom, and thus the kingdom has no choice but to obey, no matter what the empire does or demands.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe it's just me, but I believe the empire sending assassins to murder the kingdom's princess is a pretty solid reason to terminate marriage negotiations. It wasn't even a nameless assassin merely lurking in the dark, it was an actual, confirmed delegation from the empire. It has got nothing to do with the kingdom if it was connected to the empire's inheritance struggle. It was an assassination attempted under the flag of the empire, and thus it's the empire's responsibility, unless they can somehow explain and compensate for it. Saying "We don't know how our delegation got infiltrated by multiple assassins. Sorry." doesn't cut it in international politics, unless the empire is 10 times stronger than the kingdom, and thus the kingdom has no choice but to obey, no matter what the empire does or demands.
Well, they could just claim that the entire delegation didn't include any of the people they sent, hence they 'weren't ' the ones behind it >_>.. Also please tell me the mc gains SOME SORT of self-awareness at somepoint cause its getting painful

Dex-chan lover
Definitely agreed here. This is just a plot hole because the author/mangaka didn't think it out very well.

Even if the Empire were to make nicey-nice and offer reparations and everything, the bottom line would boil down to, "If you ass-clowns think that we're gonna send our Princess into that pit of vipers, then you're fucking stoned. Until you fix your shit, the engagement is off."

Dex-chan lover
Definitely agreed here. This is just a plot hole because the author/mangaka didn't think it out very well.

Even if the Empire were to make nicey-nice and offer reparations and everything, the bottom line would boil down to, "If you ass-clowns think that we're gonna send our Princess into that pit of vipers, then you're fucking stoned. Until you fix your shit, the engagement is off."
Then you'd be playing right into the hands of the guy who sent the assassins, the prince who has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Dex-chan lover
Then you'd be playing right into the hands of the guy who sent the assassins, the prince who has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Refresh my memory: how exactly does this matter to the Princess's Kingdom?

Look, I get what your saying, but this is reality: The Princess's marriage isn't gonna amount to a goddamned thing if she gets assassinated before, during, or after her wedding ceremony - except as a loss for both her Kingdom and the Prince she's supposed to marry.

Really, that was the First Prince's biggest mistake here - he jumped the gun by sending assassins into her country to kill her when, really, he should have bided his time, waited until she was within his country's borders, and then, while under the protection of the Second Prince's forces, had her assassinated. Doing it this way has the added benefit for him of making his faction suffer a huge loss of face - they failed to protect the precious princess that their prince was supposed to marry. Do you think anyone else is gonna allow their daughter to marry him after that except as a sacrificial pawn in a game of their own?

The only good thing about this for the First Prince is that in a normal set of circumstances, this would have, as you said, been playing right into his hands. Because really, what choice does the Princess's Kingdom have at that point? The issues at hand are completely an internal matter to that Empire, and even if she was successfully wedded to the Second Prince, the Kingdom would still have no say over how they manage their affairs. The only thing they do have the power to do is to force the Empire's hand by either calling off or postponing the wedding.

See, that's the thing. For the "Good Guys", she is worth a lot more alive than dead. They can easily say that until the Second Prince gets his shit together, he can't marry their Princess because otherwise they might as well just be tossing her into the meat grinder at that point.

So even if her wedding is postponed or even called off altogether, it's not as big of a loss as it would be if the assassins actually succeeded. And realistically, her being assassinated - especially if it was while she was under the Second Prince's protection - would be an enormous loss of face for his faction. Because at that point, no one else is going to let their daughter get married off to either of the Princes... Not unless she was being used as a sacrificial pawn in another power play.

And before you bring up the idea of the First Prince invading their Kingdom once he's consolidated his power and become the Emperor...

.... That can be held at bay, for at least a decade. The succession situation isn't so dire that one of the two Princes is going to immediately assume the throne. It's just that the First Prince is really hard-up on eliminating the Second Prince before he can gain a stronger following. It will only be once the First Prince is on the throne and his power absolute that they'll need to worry. And even then, it will take some time for him to raise an army in order to prosecute an invasion against anyone. And even then? He'll need to invest time into setting the political scene to legitimize such an invasion. (Real World Example: when Russia annexed Crimea. That wasn't done in a day, that was years in the making.)

Dex-chan lover
Sharina being the zerker :kek:

nah really, she's quite the woman. Sadly for others, this is more or less a love triangle story between, Maura-Gale-Carla :kek:

Sharina's more of the professional best friend for Gale

Dex-chan lover
Refresh my memory: how exactly does this matter to the Princess's Kingdom?

Look, I get what your saying, but this is reality: The Princess's marriage isn't gonna amount to a goddamned thing if she gets assassinated before, during, or after her wedding ceremony - except as a loss for both her Kingdom and the Prince she's supposed to marry.
For 2nd paragraph, isn't the loss for both of them already enough for 1st Prince?

For the 1st paragraph, if the 1st Prince goes as far as trying to assassinate the princess, he might also be ambitious enough to invade.

You said it would've taken years, but "how long" doesn't really matter as much as "will he or will he not". If the kingdom is on the weaker side between the two and have no strong and reliable allies to help out, then they can only suffer in the conflict. At least with the marriage continuing, regardless of the princess' live, they can stand tall and appear as equal.

Contributor
If they knew full well it was the Empire that sent assassins, shouldn't that have been grounds for a diplomatic incident, let alone breaking off engagement negotiations and maybe even a casus belli? The faction who sent the assassins doesn't matter, from their POV the Empire committed hostilities and things like that are never politely brushed off and swept under the rug. Is the Kingdom so weak it cannot respond adversely to something like an attempted assassination of a member of the royal family? It beggars belief how they're just persuading the princess to turn a blind eye to it, especially if the King knows. Does he?

On a side note, it's kinda crazy that unfulfilled quests can have the difficulty ranking go up but not the reward. That'll only make sure it's left unfulfilled then. I suppose it's gotten to such a desperate point that the client herself is actively participating in the quest.

Users who are viewing this thread