NEW GAME! - Vol. 8 Ch. 82

Group Leader
What is the fucking point of having Momiji win like this?
At least if she had won with as interesting and creative of an idea as the robots, it would lead to Aoba, the main fucking character, learning something about how her art is stagnating and she needs to remember the creative side of her art that got her the lead for Peco instead of banking off the success and trying recreate it. But Momiji's winning designs are basically a damn knock off of Aoba's with different proportions, so what's the lesson here? That creativity is useless? It completely breaks the development that Momiji needs, it lacks any development for Aoba, and it undercuts the work and effort that Yun put in through this arc.

Dex-chan lover
I agree that Yun's was the best of the three. Perhaps we can get back to cute girls doing cute things for a while now that we've finished the Art Thunderdome stuff again.

Yun's design was the most interesting of all, I would actually buy a game with that kind of aesthetic, it kind of reminds me of Jet Set Radio and that game is good so yeah.

Yun > Aoba > Momiji
I don't like the design of Momiji but I think it goes for what Hajime likes.

Double-page supporter
Giving such a cheap victory to an artist who basically admitted that she copycatted, despite the statements that that would be her undoing in the end (AND pussying out on their votes for no reason - why bother sharing the table with Hajime if you're gonna step out when it counts?); despite the other two competitors being better in so many ways (especially Yun's), for the sole purpose of creating drama that means nothing and leads nowhere...

I've seen generic shounen garbage coming up with better plot decisions than this. That was the worst, cheapest attempt at a plot twist that I've had the displeasure to read in a long time. Might drop this depending on how the author attempts to fix his own mess, but I honestly feel like doing so right now. It was that bad.

Group Leader
WHAT. Out of all of them both of momo’s designs were weak. Aoba’s first one was rubbish sure but her revision was good. Although I route for aoba, yun clearly should’ve won that. These next chapters are going to be mildly annoying for a while. That’s sooooo goddamn annoying!

Yeah, no mater how many times I reread new game, this chapter (and how the story unfold from this point onward) never sits right with me, for many reasons that were dicussed here.

My main gripe is that they ended up leaving the decision entirely to Hajime : a totally new director with no experience and only a little when it comes to planning, which has shown repeatedly that she care mostly about what she like herself over what may be working out for a wider audience. For a company that was shown on many occasion how advert they are to taking risks... Leaving her to choose the chara designer feels really fluffing weird and out of left field. At least Christina should have shot down the suggestion of leaving it to Hajime an even more to Momoji winning, considering she barely joined, has no rep and they're going for a new IP in an uncharted direction for eagle jump (from rpg to some battle/sport game on handeld).

More annoying is that Yun really should have won that one. She came up with the overall design, the other two simply went along the direction she set up. Even her designs were great. I could understand favoring Aoba over Yun, because she has experience as chara designer, but Momiji ?

As others stated, this feels like Yun got robbed of her spotlight for the sake of cheap drama and it wasn't even well done.

Users who are viewing this thread