Nido Tensei shita Shounen wa S-Rank Boukensha Toshite Heion ni Sugosu: Zense ga Kenja de Eiyuu Datta Boku wa Raise dewa Jimi ni Ikiru - Ch. 7 - The D…

You know MC is beta af when he got reincarnated twice but still has no adaptability in common sense. There's no excuses for that since even babies can develop it over-time in a year better than this MC has in 2 lives.

I just realized this manga is a Chinese manhua (without the cultivation) in disguise

Ugh here's hoping the Jairo brat gets killed off already and the plot moves forward with literally anybody else 🤢

Yeeaaaaah, this is not for me. For a guy that experienced 2 life, and was a sage, it was too weird

Ah, yes another manga where Japanese blacksmith weapons are better.
In reality they had to use different methods because they had low ammout of iron ore and it was very poor quality.

Dex-chan lover
@Ers92

Sorry to burst your negativity bubble.
But the MC is not Japanese at all.
He is a reincarnated person from another fantasy world, not from earth.

The MC was a god-tier swordsman who reincarnated into a god-tier magician, who reincarnated into the MC we have now.
His previous world seems to have had stronger people, and better techniques for pretty much everything.

Or the MC is a retard who can´t tell the difference between normal people and masters.
The way he acts up until now can be blamed for his lack of common sense, thanks to it being different from his past lives.
But it could also just be that he is a retard who never knew any common sense in the first place.
only time will tell...

Also, the Japanese blacksmithing method you are thinking off was focused on improving the quality of the iron by removing impurities.
But it also was good for making the steel more evenly mixed, as the carbon content of steel is not always uniform depending on how it was made.

Depending on the quality of the iron it might not be necessary and in rare occasions backfire as it makes it worse.
That does not mean its a worse method then the more common practises today, as back in time MOST iron ingots would have been polluted a lot more then they are today.
And even if they somehow had high-quality iron ingots around, when making steel you would still need to mix the iron to make it into steel.
The mixing process when making steel could also result in more impurities and if not forged correctly a poor mix that was sometimes improved by the folding of the steel.

That said, we don't even know if the MC uses Japanese or a more European way of forging his weapon, as again he is not from earth.

Dex-chan lover
miss mage, that staff of yours is likely heavier then a real propper longsword, so her saying she dont need a heavy weapon made me laugh.
the real reason she dont need a bladed weapon like these is the fact that she is a mage, that said, it absolutely wont hurt for her to carry and learn how to use a dagger or something similar.
and as for the MC lack of common sense is hopefully down to the difference from modern day people, and by modern day i mean the current era he lives in, compared to people in the past, i.e, people from the past eras he lived in previously.

Dex-chan lover
@theldras
The staff is wooden. It would have to be some serious magic wood to beat a steel/iron sword in weight.

But she really should have a dagger or something, I agree. Last line of self-defense, and practical for other uses too!

Dex-chan lover
@Myumyuh

Well, the common sense of his last two worlds ( remember he is not a typical Japanese reincarnation, he was born in a fantasy world ) might have been a lot different from where he is now.
Its possible everybody was super strong, had better magic and crafting skills etc.
So his methods might have been more common there.
I still want to give him the benefit of doubt... but considering he was a sage, he really should start suspecting that things are different here pretty soon as its no longer just one or two things by this point.

@theldras
@cor3zone

Playing devils advocate here.
"Heavy weapons" is a classification of weapons and she could be talking the weapons in terms of what type of weapons they are.
That only makes sense if she already has other weapons tho, but the staff technically is a weapon so... ( or you know, poor translation is always a thing you can blame )

That said we know nothing about her staff, and while yes it is far bigger and should probably be heavier thanks to that...
( Btw steel is 6 to 12+ times as heavy as wood per cubic meter, and i don´t think its that much bigger then the sword )
We don´t know if it's made from some super-light type of wood or if it's hollow.
There is nothing that says her staff must be super dense wood unless she plans on fighting with it and even then the staff got to be pretty big for it to be a even close to a sword.
Unless there is magic bullshit going on that makes things lighter / heavier

In a lot of fantasy worlds, people justify mages only wearing cloth armour and no other weapons by saying that metals interfere with spellcasting( usually iron ).
But if there are no such rules, then yes every mage should have backup weapons for melee combat or when magic is impossible to use.
As for MC´s lack of common sense, he never was a Japanese person but the same argument still applies anyway.
His first life was as a hero in a fantasy world, and his second as a sage.
He was reincarnated twice, not three times.
He is not a death mage after all xD

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone
proper historical longswords only weigh around 1.1-1.8 kilo, her staff, depending on type of wood could absolutely be heavier then that, considering the fact that it has a fist sized lump at the top.

Dex-chan lover
@theldras
Not really, I've played with plenty of sticks with almost that exact shape, and they were feather-weight. Considering that enchantment does seem to exist (MC's sword), it's also possible that it's magically lighter. Then there's the fact that it isn't meant for bludgeoning, coupled with her light physical build, which all but ensures that it's constructed of the lightest possible materials. I concede it may be unbalanced with the fist-sized knot on top, but the shaft is thin enough to snap without effort.

Unless there's some evidence that points to staffs needing specific, heavy wood, I'd say it's way lighter than a sword. Seeing also as she is actually holding the staff and lives in their world, I'd take her judgement over yours in this case.

Edit: for spelling

@Goldenzeal
Thanks for offering actual facts on steel being heavier. I knew it, but was too lazy to research actuality. 😁

Dex-chan lover
If this blacksmith was so obsessed with MC's sword forging technique, and he was annoyingly to force MC to be his student, and now i wonder if MC teach that Mage the lightning technique with clear image for invocation, what kind of reaction should be her to MC...

Im starting to imaging various things, including this and that,.....

@dextersTomato
Screen_Shot_2020-04-28_at_12.21.48_PM.jpg

that guy is dunce...

why bother with gordo when the master he wants to learn from is there and on top his friend?

Dex-chan lover
@starburst98
Is he ever going to get a clue that he is the strongest?
He already knows he is very strong. Still, what he does in this life, is nothing compared to his previous lives, or even to the people he met in his previous lives. Because he's just living in a carefree manner.

@raos044
So are we just gonna gloss over the fact that he is happily ripping people off?
I'm not sure if you're talking about MC or the blacksmith.
The blacksmith is selling crude stuff for people who just want a sword made by a famous blacksmith without understanding what they need. Just what a child of a noble family needs to go play adventurer. It's probably priced correctly - cheaper than what a really good sword would cost, yet all that decoration is still expensive.
The MC is definitely selling his knowledge cheaper than it would cost if he auctioned it off. After all, what he's giving away is just the basics he learned from others, not his own discoveries as the great sage.

@A31D31N - common sense is for common men. Great men don't need that stuff.

@cor3zone
The staff is wooden. It would have to be some serious magic wood to beat a steel/iron sword in weight.
No magic involved. A typical staff is about twice as long as a one-handed sword, and many times thicker (since most of the sword is its thin blade). Game manuals give a weapon-grade quarterstaff weight of 4 lbs (which is about 2 kilograms).
A staff not intended to parry attacks can be lighter than that, but an adventuring wizard should have a staff that can be used to fight.

Edit: looking at the manga, this wizard doesn't have a quarterstaff. Or a staff at all. She has just a wand, which might be lighter than a sword.

Double-page supporter
@flannan I was talking about the blacksmith

I'm not sure if you're talking about MC or the blacksmith.
The blacksmith is selling crude stuff for people who just want a sword made by a famous blacksmith without understanding what they need.

They are buying from a famous blacksmith expecting quality that lives up to the name and they are paying a price that meets that expectation but they are getting a half assed product in exchange. The MC notes that the sword that guy is buying is expensive for the quality of sword he's getting on pages 8 and 9. He's ripping them off. Just because his customers are too stupid to know they are getting ripped off does not give him the right to rip them off.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan
Thanks for admitting fault with that edit. Seeing as the staff was never designed for melee, it doesn't need to be anything but a medium for magic. It should be, I agree. But it isn't.

Looking at the staff, it has about the same length as a long sword. Maybe a bit more. It's thin, tapering to a very fine point, with only the knot being of any considerable size. To be generous, for the sake of argument, let's say it's 2-3 times the volume. All but MC's sword look very bulky for swords. Given the already established difference in density, this thing is lighter than a sword. No question.

Let's take the sword of say 1,5 kg, volume as V. The staff is volume 3V. The density of steel is 6 times that of wood, to be generous. So sword: V = 1,5 kg. Staff: 3V / 6 = 0,75 kg. I'm sure I fucking butchered the math somewhere, but one gets the general idea. In any case, the staff would need to be at least 6 times, up to or surpassing 12 times, the volume of the sword. It's clearly not.

Edit: I just looked up some more modern comparisons. Steel longsword = 1,5 kg. Wooden baseball bat = 1 kg.

Users who are viewing this thread