Nihonkoku Shoukan - Vol. 9 Ch. 41 - Airstrike Begins

how much military supply does japan have? i feel like they've used a lot and do they even produce their own stuff or do they buy it from other nations like the US?
Like the US, they make everything themselves. What they didn't design, they license to manufacture, except the F-35 which they can't license.

Dex-chan lover
I hope eventually Japan bites off more than it can chew in this, and end up in an even fight against someone whose tech they don't understand fully.

Because so far it's been the Nation State equivalent of "if I got reincarnated in a medieval peasant society my Highschool education would make me a genius."

The writing, individual characters, and art are good, but I hope there's more to the plot in the end than just wish fulfillment for frustrated expansionists.
The highest technological advancement of that world was Imperial Japanese forces of World War II. So it is unlikely that they will face any powerful countries that use technology. If it's magic, there might be a possibility

Supporter
Time to give them a nice cup of liber-tea.
Help spread managed democracy!

Unrelated, I am not sure what to think about the carrier designs. They would be really top heavy with a dual flight deck on each side, and it would catch the wind and roll too easily. A dual hull design or tri-hull with outriggers would make more sense, being able to keep the mast in the center but add stability.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for another chapter... they trickle out slowly so I've forgotten, but are the logistics hand-waved or supported? I vaguely recall that the entire island of Japan came over to this world- along with its military- and that is supposed to handwave concerns about logistics like fuel, ammo, personnel, etc. But IRL Japan's fuel is 97% imported and 99.9% military hardware imported. Was this addressed already?
Supported. Time to re-read!

I am not sure what to think about the carrier designs. They would be really top heavy with a dual flight deck on each side, and it would catch the wind and roll too easily. A dual hull design or tri-hull with outriggers would make more sense, being able to keep the mast in the center but add stability.
They are more close-to-shore deployment-and-retrieval sites for defense along coastal Empire territory, rather than meant to go on big oceanbound trips, it feels like. They feel like they took their ships-of-the-line and just slapped some docks onto them for wyvern use, so the sailors and captains can be fairly interchangable with regular military boat crew.

Supporter
They are more close-to-shore deployment-and-retrieval sites for defense along coastal Empire territory, rather than meant to go on big oceanbound trips, it feels like. They feel like they took their ships-of-the-line and just slapped some docks onto them for wyvern use, so the sailors and captains can be fairly interchangable with regular military boat crew.

That would be in line with actual carrier development, they were mostly unfinished boats that had a deck slapped on. Quite a few of the first-generation carriers actually still had the tower in the middle, it took a while before they put everything off to the side and had a single deck that went the length of the boat. Check out the HMS Furious, it's kind of a kick.

They used to launch bi-planes off a barge being pulled behind fast ships that just went into the wind fast enough for the plane to reach 'lift off' speeds. Then to pick them up they would just do a really slow water landing and pick the plane up with a crane, since it was wood, and put it back on the barge. Fun times. :D

Japan doesn't have nukes tho? Also, tactical nukes are a joke.
this is the first time i have ever heard the phrase "tactical nukes are a joke". did you mean like, theres no such thing as a tactical nuke - only a strategic nuke? lol

Dex-chan lover
this is the first time i have ever heard the phrase "tactical nukes are a joke". did you mean like, theres no such thing as a tactical nuke - only a strategic nuke? lol
Tactical nukes have never been used. They're impractical.

Aggregator gang
I meant Japanese readers with a certain worldview irl with that comment.

Like how lonely people are especially the target for slave harems. People frustrated at Japan's role in current geo-politics would especially enjoy seeing Japanese missiles rammed up wyvern asses.

The rest of us can enjoy it too, but it just hits different for us.
I get why some people might like it, but at the same time, it's the same argument as self-inserts. You can enjoy a power fantasy even if you don't self-insert simply because you like the action, the system, or anything, really. I now know you weren't, but it did sound like you were reducing the Japanese reader base to expansionists.
In the first place, my argument was more about the expansionist side of the argument. The expansionist base in Japan is particularly low compared to other countries, hence why I said patriotism. It's unlikely for an expansionist reader base to maintain the manga afloat by itself.

Next chapter, when? I binged through all 8 volumes, totally deserves an anime adaptation. I'm a big Gate fan, btw! I wonder if there's more stories like those out there.

Dex-chan lover
"Fin-like feathers that look like cannonballs that fly with their own thoughts" huh, never thought about it before, but yeah no missiles are fucking magical beyond comprehension to an outside observer

Contributor
Screenshot 2024-08-13 173502.png

The mangaka straight up stopped pretending that this was being done by modern Japan and slapped the Imperial Japanese flag on the fleet.

Dex-chan lover
The mangaka straight up stopped pretending that this was being done by modern Japan and slapped the Imperial Japanese flag on the fleet.
You'd be surprised then, that's actually the current JMSDF flag.

The JMSDF hasn't changed their naval flag, the only division that changed theirs is the JGSDF where the imperial design which has the same design as the Naval one, but the sun is at the middle. The flag design predates WWII by several decades similar to the iron cross on Germany which is still used today.

Users who are viewing this thread