Nihonkoku Shoukan

I do have to say, this IS some of the most entertaining propaganda I've read in a while. It is, of course, lacking in pretty much every major area of 'what makes something well written' but it is fun just seeing Japan blow everyone up.

I do like the characters, such as they are. The two ambassadors from Mu are definitely my favorite, their reactions are so hilarious.

The biggest thing this series has going for it is the comedy of seeing people constantly underestimate Japan, and then the worldbuilding. But I feel like the worldbuilding is actually pretty lacking, the fact is pretty much every aspect of this "new world" is reflecting or parodying an extant country in our own world. That said, there are subtle differences in them, not to mention the underlying backstory of the ancient technological evil empire.

But essentially it just comes down to: This is very blatant propaganda and not much else. It's pretty much just one of those mangas you read through on a whim late at night and then never think about again. Is it a waste of time? Only if you have something better to do! Which I sure don't.

Dex-chan lover
welp, dissapointing, this manga is from the looks of it an big old pile of propaganda garbage, can’t make an Japan VS Fantasy World without making it Nationalistic!

This manga is great compare to the other military Mangas, we got out here. And also love the politics, and how japan navigates this new world and change the balance of power and geopolitical landscape. But one thing is bugging me about this manga, where are the Americans ? In japan alone there are atleast over 30 to 40 thousand American troops, these troops comprised of Airforce, Army, marines and navy. Plus there's airforce bases, navel bases and army base. And a some parts of the US 7 fleet with carrier that would be dock when this transformation would happen. It would be great if the author covers that, would the U.S forces integrate into the Japanese military or would the U.S forces become I problem for Japan since there cut off from the U.S.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is pure propaganda, is so in your face straight up propaganda that is sickening... pretty fun read, 10/10 would recommend... Just a few chapters though, any more than that and you will have to look at what Japan did in the war (what war?, any will do) just to realign with reality, not sayin that just them were bad, just that they were not that nice, just as the rest of us

This manga is more like a quick military reading, on the competence of when there's no fucking Red Tape from politicians blocking the way, and when the politicians do what they did in both World Wars "Let loose the dogs of war". But these dogs of war also have hearts, and when that Parpaldia princess decided it was a "good" idea to have those civilians murdered because of the Politicians having their hands tied... she all but doomed Parpaldia to a good ol fashioned "here's how 1st world nations militaries REALLY work." There are no allies, currently in Parpaldia, and they aren't pursuing any form of Peace beyond "They must be a 3rd world nation, they are beneath us." We are reading about a Japan that is Modern Age, kicking down Fantasy Britain during Queen Elizabeth I's age, but with wyverns and mini turtle-dragons.
A lot of people thinking "Japan's military and politicians aren't THIS competent!" have never met Japanese people. All they think of is THEIR military, any Euro nation's military, and America's military. "Our people aren't this competent! Surely Japan is worse!"
They don't understand that during World War 2, Japan would have dragged the War on if not for the nuking of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki... seeing two major cities become cinders and 99% of both cities' populations become shades on walls or worse.
Otherwise, had Japan sent Home many of their Ace pilots after each sortie, to train the next group, they would have kept being 1 for 1 against U.S. Pilots in the Pacific theatre, and their navies WERE holding back American naval forces.
Please read up on your World History, folks!

This manga is great compare to the other military Mangas, we got out here. And also love the politics, and how japan navigates this new world and change the balance of power and geopolitical landscape. But one thing is bugging me about this manga, where are the Americans ? In japan alone there are atleast over 30 to 40 thousand American troops, these troops comprised of Airforce, Army, marines and navy. Plus there's airforce bases, navel bases and army base. And a some parts of the US 7 fleet with carrier that would be dock when this transformation would happen. It would be great if the author covers that, would the U.S forces integrate into the Japanese military or would the U.S forces become I problem for Japan since there cut off from the U.S.A.
According to the WN/LN, they joined in with the JSDF once it became obvious that there wasn't a way to go back home.

I want to see what happens next, to see how Japan wins here. Someone messed up and is digging their hole deeper from their bad intentions, and is ending up paying for it.

But yeah, if you enjoy retribution (which I enjoy), and modern military in a fantasy/historical setting, read on.

If you actually found me here for my 5th crappy review, understand this one is gonna be less detailed. This isn't a detailed manga anyways. It feels almost like some government attempt to hire someone who would make a manga for stoking patriotism.

This manga is pretty simple, but I enjoy what it does. I'm typing this crappy review because I'm mildly annoyed there are some bad mangas and manhwas out there that have 8.2+ scores, but this is— as of this typing— at a 7.72 stars. But then again, some are uncomfortable with the 'gore' or 'sexual violence' tags in a manga so simple; not to mention, the classic 'jiggle-boing' sexualization of the fantasy world females here. It's stupid, but it's a classic manga tactic to get you to look at it a little longer. Now, onto the plot.

The entire country of Japan gets isekai'd, and from there it follows a 'suddenly-isekai' plot. It may lead some to look at it as another "Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri" (often referred to simply as "GATE"), but instead focuses on the country of Japan as a whole, instead of following a single soldier or squad. No characters with a multi-arc story, as of chapter 42, but there are some reoccurring characters. They're just not developed in any protagonist-like growth.

A simple story, if you just feel like seeing a modern nation of our world put a bunch of late-medieval to early-WWI modern fantasy nations into the dirt or economic boom (depending on their friend/foe status to Japan). I would turn your brain off a fair but, but not too much that the large parts of dialogue are not read. There is a lot of dialogue, and sometimes it helps to give context to how the fantasy world operates, like how a nation surrenders. It is kind of disappointing that there has yet to be any magic that can do more than scratch the paint on Japan's military, and yet have the destructive power to blow up castle walls or vaporize bones.

Speaking of disappointing, it also has the stupid '... but in a bathhouse' parts, for men and women, but at least they did the bare minimum to make there be a reason for it to happen for the story. Obviously, it could have been done in any other are, but suggestiveness sells. They also do like to comically put people naked right before they're blown to oblivion, but I can get a chuckle from it making fun of 'food-pxrn" mangas for doing that. At least there hasn't been some chapter that is like 'we defeated all the baddies of this arc, so let's go celebrate on a beach'.

For me, this just scratches my itch I wanted to get with "GATE" and "Zipang", but couldn't because they focused too much on specific people and not a big picture of a modern nation doing big moves in a world that underestimates Japan or doesn't understand Japan.

(After note: "Zipang" is still neato for isekai, but it's a historical isekai. "GATE" is weird for me, especially with the author really liking lolis, but does still have its moments. I think that "GATE" and these other stories have an unusual advantage. The 'military isekai' genre doesn't have as strong of a pull in the same way a true isekai has. Because of that, there aren't many with this military-isekai take to make one picky. It'll do.)

Yeah this is overly simplistic. The politics are childish (countries are clearly "good" or "evil" with no shades of grey in between). I think calling it propaganda is a bit off though. It's basically a Mary Sue, except the Mary Sue protagonist is an entire country. So it comes across as propaganda when that probably isn't the intent.

But clearly defined "good" and "evil" characters are a trope of nearly all fiction. e.g. Just about every isekai with a hero and demon lord. Most stories are like that because most of the time, you don't want complex, involved, and introspective storytelling. Real life is already complex. You read or watch fiction because you're tired of that in RL and just want to escape for a while. You just want to veg as you watch unambiguously good guys kick unambiguously evil guys' asses. And I think it does a great job at that.

But one thing is bugging me about this manga, where are the Americans ? In japan alone there are atleast over 30 to 40 thousand American troops, these troops comprised of Airforce, Army, marines and navy. Plus there's airforce bases, navel bases and army base. And a some parts of the US 7 fleet with carrier that would be dock when this transformation would happen. It would be great if the author covers that, would the U.S forces integrate into the Japanese military or would the U.S forces become I problem for Japan since there cut off from the U.S.
Aside from nuclear carriers and submarines, other US Navy ships rely on petroleum-based fuel (diesel or kerosene/jet fuel). So if cut off from modern fuel processing, they'd only have an endurance of a few months. There used to be some nuclear cruisers, but they were retired in the 1990s with their function transferred to guided missile destroyers and frigates powered by gas turbines.

The aircraft aboard the carriers are also reliant on jet fuel. Once it runs out, a nuclear carrier is just a fancy cruise ship. So aside from submarines (which only need food and rearming to continue operating), any U.S. ships transferred along with Japan wouldn't be able to function independently to oppose Japan. They'd pretty much have to integrate with Japan to remain operational past a few months. (Well, I suppose a commander of a ballistic missile submarine could threaten the world.)

@Sternberg
The Japanese look pretty much unfazed by the fact they were teleported to another planet so there's little excitement or sense of wonder when they interact with the fantasy world.
I actually think that's pretty accurate. Most Americans never leave the country. They see or read about other places on TV or online and think "neat". But they never feel the itch to visit (except maybe a vacation if they can afford it) because they can find everything they need in the U.S. If Japan were transported to another world where they were the sole "modern" country, I think the same thing would happen there. While it's neat and romantic to think about living in a medieval fantasy world, the reality is quite harsh (poor sanitation, poor/no medical care, lower standard of living, lower safety, high crime, constant wars). As I like to say, "a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

Users who are viewing this thread