No Home - Ch. 229 - Juwan Park and Hara Kang (4)

Power Uploader
I'm trying to understand what the point of this arc was... to establish for good that Hara and Juwan are just friends? I wasn't even thinking he had a crush on her until this arc. If anything, her reaction when Minju broke that they'd been a couple made me think she might have a Platonic crush on him.

Fed-Kun's army
Queer Platonic Relationship....????? OwO?????? I would disintegrate from happiness if this was the case ajkghfkdhgjfklhgjk

Don't mind me but I REALLY hc Juwan as aro/ace, like, him having friend crushes and all that... (I am just projecting, yall)

Thank you for the amazing translation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dex-chan lover
I'm trying to understand what the point of this arc was... to establish for good that Hara and Juwan are just friends? I wasn't even thinking he had a crush on her until this arc. If anything, her reaction when Minju broke that they'd been a couple made me think she might have a Platonic crush on him.
Yes, because sometimes people need reminding. You should remember that the target audience of this series is Korean, so it is conscious of that culture above all others. I would conjecture that Korean society has an underlying expectation that men and women will be paired together nicely with a bow. This is a belief that still plagues other Western societies—although perhaps to not such an extent—so I appreciate it in both contexts. In any case, I'm personally appreciative of any exploration of any character's history and their relationships with each other.

Last edited:
Contributor
So we're not going to see her again basically? Dammit. This is the last season so we should be saying goodbye to characters, and as far as drama goes, Hara has been relatively light so it's easier to tie loose ends, but still! That's why I liked her so much! Who else is going to be our rock!

Power Uploader
Yes, because sometimes people need reminding. You should remember that the target audience of this series is Korean, so it is conscious of that culture above all others. I would conjecture that Korean society has an underlying expectation that men and women will be paired together nicely with a bow. This is a belief that still plagues other Western societies—although perhaps to not such an extent, so I appreciate it in both contexts. In any case, I'm personally appreciative of any exploration of any character's history and their relationships with each other.

I kinda get your point, but I'd say we have plenty of m-w friendships without romance in this series - not least Marie Kim and Juwan Park, the first such to be introduced. So I still don't see the purpose. But yeah, seeing them interact is nice.

Dex-chan lover
FEMINIST HARA KANG WE LOVE YOU!!!
Sad that Juwan isn't gay, but happy that this (kinda) solidified they are just friends and nothing more. I really hope y'all in the comments are wrong because if I don't see more Hara I might explode

Dex-chan lover
The point is most likely to "sell" chapters. To increase/sustain viewership while the author continues writing.

I legitimately don't think there's much more to it than that. It's a side story without much impact on the current events. It's a flashback, afterall.

Queer Platonic Relationship....????? OwO?????? I would disintegrate from happiness if this was the case ajkghfkdhgjfklhgjk

Don't mind me but I REALLY hc Juwan as aro/ace, like, him having friend crushes and all that... (I am just projecting, yall)

Thank you for the amazing translation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean... You're free to have your head canon. But it's pretty definitively proven wrong. He has pretty explicit romantic attractions to various people, with at least Minju being one. He most likely had a crush on the girl from the hobby club, as Hara said, but we can maybe believe him when he says it's not like that. But we still have strong reason to disbelieve him given Hara's statements.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like having platonic relationships between males and females in stories in spite of others trying to push them into a romantic relationship. But 1) that doesn't mean Juwan is aromantic or asexual and 2) I actually didn't like this one specifically because Hara had said Juwan did have a crush on her. This is just me griping, and sure, I get that she was just screwing around, but it wasn't a good moment for her character.

Anyways, I digress. Juwan, pretty much only less so than Eunyung, is the least aro/ace character here. He... Maybe ties with Minju for least aro/ace. Maybe.

Dex-chan lover
The point is most likely to "sell" chapters. To increase/sustain viewership while the author continues writing.

I legitimately don't think there's much more to it than that. It's a side story without much impact on the current events. It's a flashback, afterall.

I mean... You're free to have your head canon. But it's pretty definitively proven wrong. He has pretty explicit romantic attractions to various people, with at least Minju being one. He most likely had a crush on the girl from the hobby club, as Hara said, but we can maybe believe him when he says it's not like that. But we still have strong reason to disbelieve him given Hara's statements.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like having platonic relationships between males and females in stories in spite of others trying to push them into a romantic relationship. But 1) that doesn't mean Juwan is aromantic or asexual and 2) I actually didn't like this one specifically because Hara had said Juwan did have a crush on her. This is just me griping, and sure, I get that she was just screwing around, but it wasn't a good moment for her character.

Anyways, I digress. Juwan, pretty much only less so than Eunyung, is the least aro/ace character here. He... Maybe ties with Minju for least aro/ace. Maybe.
Eunyung was two-timing and is known to have used people for borrowing money or receiving gifts, it’s not exactly definitive that he was romantically attracted to his “girlfriends”, so not really the best comparison. I have no agenda in this discussion though and I’m kinda going off the top of my head in terms of what I remember so correct me if I’m wrong.

I wouldn't advise holding something she did when she was much younger against her, children are naturally childish; they are predictably thoughtless and naive in their actions.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
FEMINIST HARA KANG WE LOVE YOU!!!
Sad that Juwan isn't gay, but happy that this (kinda) solidified they are just friends and nothing more. I really hope y'all in the comments are wrong because if I don't see more Hara I might explode
No disrespect, but it’s kinda funny how in a side-story about not coming to conclusions based on the cover, you managed to do exactly that. he could always turn out to be bisexual still, which would be a first for me to see, but I know the author’s other work touched heavily on lgbt topics so they’re quite well versed with the subject. personally I would enjoy seeing that, though I doubt they’ll introduce any romance in the present since it isn’t that kind of series.

Dex-chan lover
a side-story about not coming to conclusions based on the cover, you managed to do exactly that.
In a previous chapter I commented how I thought Juwan was gay because of reaction to the name of a boy, much like how his mother did when Hara was brought up. That was me jumping to conclusions. Now that it has been confirmed that he was reacting that way not because of the bou but because of a girl, i rescinded my statement, unlike Juwan's mother when she was told he didnt have a crush on Hara.
he could always turn out to be bisexual still
Notice how I said he isnt gay. I did not say he was straight, nor did I say he couldnt be bisexual. You're doing the exact same thing now, "jumping to conclusions" based on what I've written.

Dex-chan lover
In a previous chapter I commented how I thought Juwan was gay because of reaction to the name of a boy, much like how his mother did when Hara was brought up. That was me jumping to conclusions. Now that it has been confirmed that he was reacting that way not because of the bou but because of a girl, i rescinded my statement, unlike Juwan's mother when she was told he didnt have a crush on Hara.

Notice how I said he isnt gay. I did not say he was straight, nor did I say he couldnt be bisexual. You're doing the exact same thing now, "jumping to conclusions" based on what I've written.
I'm not really interested in discussing semantics, so let's agree to disagree. I should reiterate that I didn't mean any disrespect, so please don't take it the wrong way :wtf:

Users who are viewing this thread