Occult-chan wa Katarenai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Youko Takahashi Wants to Help

Double-page supporter
whoa, so wait does that mean in the main story the genes or whatever from demi families were actually just genes from people that have died in some way before? so does that mean that the vampire girl in the main died in the womb but was brought back as a vampire instead of being stillborn? freaky

Dex-chan lover
Didn't think it would have such a wholesome yet bittersweet ending.

@penmore It is interesting to think about - they did say there is a differing amount of extra dimensional stuff with the girls in the main series & also how much they can affect other's perceptions.

Like obviously Youko can see people in the other dimension/s.
Zashiko is in an other dimension but can physically interact with this one.
Kyoko the dullihan's neck is in an other dimension - so she's half/half.
Kaoru the exchange student from Okinawa can kinda see the other dimension/s but not properly - her power is primarily seeing people's emotions in their eyes changing colour and with auras around them, but if she looks as dead eyes, like fish eyes from a whole fish on sale at a fish mongers, she sees freaky shit which is theoretically another dimension in some form.
Sakie the succubus teacher and Yuki the yuki-onna (god damn her parents for that naming sense) can alter people's perceptions or reality to a degree, but whether that has anything to do with the other dimension is unknown.
Hikari the vampire seems to be the closest to human as she has no perception/reality altering or other dimension interaction at all, at least as far as we know.

So only about half of them are definitely connected to other dimension/s, so it may or may not be related to their demi mutations.

From the events of this chapter, it's pretty much confirmed that at least one other dimension is related to the afterlife in some way - who says there is only one? Though thus far it seems like there is only one, but perhaps they're interacting with multiple simultaneously? Is Kyoko's neck in the afterlife dimension, or a different one?

I'm not sure if this has been shown in the scans for the main series so spoiler tags, but it is out in the official English volumes.

Anyway, normally Youko can't see Kyoko's neck, so that makes me think more than one dimension is out there and Youko's power varies in strength depending on what dimension something is in

Zashiko she can see easily, dimension A
Kyoko's neck she can't unless weird shit happens^, dimension B
(^see end of Vol 7/beginning of Vol 8 - I can post cliff note spoilers if someone wants)

Hypothetically I think they could all have been given their demi gene mutations due to near death experiences their ancestors had and passed on (or some other factor), rather than necessarily themselves directly having an event like that. And they'd need a certain amount of those mutations in the right pattern or there's be demis everywhere, but they're rare so whatever triggers it has to be rare too. Or maybe that's only true for the "dimensional demis", or maybe they have more of the mutations?

TL;DR who knows, not enough info to do anything but wildly speculate, but that is fun in its own way.

I missed he chapter where all the demi girls got together and made a dimensional something and now no one is hosting it.

Does this happen after that?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking up this projest.

So, a Zashiki Warashi called "Zashiko"... Shouldn't said person be a "she" (as I believe they address Zashiko in the main series)?

Double-page supporter
i feel like it might make more sense for the friend not to have become a demi upon death, but rather was turned into / was awaken as a "girl in the gap" demi (like how kyoko's head only fell off at a certain age) and everyone assumed she had died bc she disappeared .... either way, really cool spinoff!! more Occult-y but still rooted in realistic day to day life, which for me was the biggest charm of the og series :,-)

Users who are viewing this thread