Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Ch. 28 - Mokuri-san, Interviewed

Group Leader
Spider girl has a point but she didn’t have to be so dickish about it IMO.
So we haven't seen it yet, but given that she used to very active on social media and then completely shut down, I bet there's a very traumatic fan incident in there. Morishita-sensei is pretty good about nobody being actually a bad guy (Senga!) so I trust that somewhere down the road (chapter 30?) we'll find out what happened to her to make her so standoffish.

Group Leader
Hey all, on page 17 I was VERY PROUD of being able to actually make out most of the kanji on the book spines (with the help of waifu 4x highest noise reduction).

So since I got DMed about this... for any TL who wants to translate apparently unreadable text because it's just too f#$ing low res and blurry, I have a cheat. Which is fine, it's not MTL, you still have to be able to recognize the Fine kanji:
  • Install waifu2x + gui (from https://github.com/nagadomi/nunif ) and run install.bat - warning, it will download and eat up 8 GB disk space with all the models!
  • Run waifu2x-gui.bat (it takes a little time for the window to come up)
  • Model -> Artwork/Scans
  • Noise Reduction -> Highest
  • TTA checkbox on, FP16 (fast) checkbox off.
  • Upscaling -> 2x (can try 4x, sometimes that's too much, goes crazy).
  • All the video stuff doesn't matter.
  • Put your page through this
Suddenly you have much more readable kanji! The noise reduction does a great job of un-dithering the downsample to clearer lines and I'm suddenly 'Oh yeah! I know that kanji!'

Dex-chan lover
I deeply apologize to you, they just refer to her as 'Insect Girl' every time, or more literally 'Creepy Crawly Girl'. But for next chapter, I am just referring to her as 'Spider Girl', eff it.
You could use Arthropoda, Arthropods, etc. It's a phylum they share that is one step below Kingdom Animalia, and one above their respective and different classes. It's also shared with anything else with jointed legs, segmented bodies, and exoskeletons like crustaceans as well so it's a pretty wide category. But it's about as close as you can get from a scientific point of view.

Relatedly, you can use the term "Bug", which is purely a colloquial term that doesn't appear in taxonomy, but does in most interpretations include both Spiders and Insects within it.

So either ArthoGal, or Bug Girl (which does sound kinda offensive NGL) or something similar might work. Bug is probably closest though, because if the nearest translation implies "creepy crawlyness", then Bug definitely conveys more of that connotation.

Critter also might work, though it's basically used for any small being including mammals, but it lacks the more offensive implication that Bug might.

Dex-chan lover
Spider-girl's character design, with her hair and pedipalps, is pretty clever
They really are adorable, they aren't super obvious either, I like how they kinda took me a second to notice and figure out what they were, but once I did I thought it was a terrific design.

Group Leader
Spiders aren't insects, they're arachnids. (said pretentiously)
Yeah, this was explained in the last chapter's comments, but the manga explicitly says 'Insect Person' (虫人). An alternative ancient reading for 'Insect' (虫) is just 'creepy crawlies' and can include anything that crawls on the ground like snails, but the modern reading for 虫 is 'insect'.

BUT this also annoys me so much that starting now (actually with the translation for the new chapter I did earlier this week) I will just say 'Spider Girl' wherever it applies to Mokuri if I can do that without some other translation atrocity. Normally I worry A LOT about the translation being accurate, but since the literal translation is inaccurate in this case...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Michi's screwy eyes are my second third top ten favorite image from this chapter :lul:
(Tsumiki as papergirl :glee:...sorry spider girl!)

I'm reminded of Lauren Mayberry's favored makeup designs whenever I see Spider-girl's eyes, that with their beauty mark-like nature. Good stuff. The rest of her design seems kinda mundane by comparison, although I LOVE how she was using her website as a kind of painter's hammock.

Yay for character development for Michi! She did feel a bit shallow in her recent appearances :win:

Dex-chan lover
No one's going to point that the page 14 is referencing to Shiro's quote from Fate stay night.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh, if you were a actual genji in this universe if you had a classmate like that, it’d be kinda off putting. They only admire you for what you are and not who you are. Spider girl has a point.
It's not like she has a lot to go on on who she is at that point anyway. An artist who happened to have used a unique feature of her species as part of her art. Quite frankly, Mokuri is the more off putting one given that she apparently gets pissed off at the slightest approach of the topic that she's distinct.
Sugimi may be a bit excessive, but wanting to understand these blatant and extreme differences is perfectly reasonable. Even in the real world you've got people wondering how someone's race, gender, sexuality, etc. might end up influencing their work. And yet here you've got someone who naturally produces a material used in art, that they have personally made use of in the past, and being curious about it is somehow wrong?

Dex-chan lover
I don't know anything Fate other than 'Are you my master?' What am I missing here? I wanna know!
God I really tried to upload the image here but I still don't know how to do this link thingy, so here the actual quote from fate stay night 2006 by shirou emiya:

"people die when they are killed."

It's not a mistranslation according to some sources, it's just translation was too literal about it that comes out sounding very stupidly. You can search it the scene using the quote and you can see for yourself how kinda identical the varying is

Dex-chan lover
God I really tried to upload the image here but I still don't know how to do this link thingy, so here the actual quote from fate stay night 2006 by shirou emiya:

"people die when they are killed."

It's not a mistranslation according to some sources, it's just translation was too literal about it that comes out sounding very stupidly. You can search it the scene using the quote and you can see for yourself how kinda identical the varying is
The quote is also missing a lot of context. The full quote is basically: "People die when they are killed. And that's how it should be."

The reason why he's saying this is because up until now he's had a super powerful artifact inside of him that regenerates his body from pretty much all fatal wounds, and he's deciding that he should take it out of him and return it to its rightful owner, and so he's acknowledging the next time he does actually get killed by something, it'll stick.

Users who are viewing this thread