Oishinbo - Vol. 37 Ch. 337 - Clash of Aboriginal Cuisine!! (Part 2)

Active member
Joined
Jun 22, 2026
Messages
38
Interesting. I've only ever met Aboriginal in Alice Spring so I don't know anything about their seafood, to think I would learn it from Japanese manga
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 24, 2024
Messages
535
Interesting. I've only ever met Aboriginal in Alice Spring so I don't know anything about their seafood, to think I would learn it from Japanese manga

I dunno what it is yet, but based on what my gf told me, I’d lay odds that it’s either a stingray or some kind of mud bug.
 
Fed-Kun's army
Joined
Apr 15, 2026
Messages
39
I don't know, something about the way Hanasaki draws the Aboriginal Australians...it gives me blackface vibes. Maybe it's just me being overly critical, but the ultra-realistic faces, the lack of talking, it makes them look primitive, and not in a positive way. Again, could just be in my head, but I felt like it was worth pointing out. Worst case scenario, I get corrected and informed about things that I'm currently unaware of. 😅
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
903
I don't know, something about the way Hanasaki draws the Aboriginal Australians...it gives me blackface vibes. Maybe it's just me being overly critical, but the ultra-realistic faces, the lack of talking, it makes them look primitive, and not in a positive way. Again, could just be in my head, but I felt like it was worth pointing out. Worst case scenario, I get corrected and informed about things that I'm currently unaware of. 😅
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he might just wanted to be super authentic by using photo reference, but ended up just making the art look stiff and unnatural 😔😔😔

Because his art tends to go into heavy realism when it's fairly obvious there was reference used, and this looks to be kinda in line with that trend. Plus we have seen in past chapters characters from Africa who seem more expressive and don't look like that.
 
Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Joined
Apr 15, 2026
Messages
39
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he might just wanted to be super authentic by using photo reference, but ended up just making the art look stiff and unnatural 😔😔😔

Because his art tends to go into heavy realism when it's fairly obvious there was reference used, and this looks to be kinda in line with that trend. Plus we have seen in past chapters characters from Africa who seem more expressive and don't look like that.
Yeah, I'll accept that explanation. Thanks!
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 24, 2024
Messages
535
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he might just wanted to be super authentic by using photo reference, but ended up just making the art look stiff and unnatural 😔😔😔

Because his art tends to go into heavy realism when it's fairly obvious there was reference used, and this looks to be kinda in line with that trend. Plus we have seen in past chapters characters from Africa who seem more expressive and don't look like that.

Yeah, I’m betting that Hanasaki used a photo of real aboriginal people as a reference because his drawings of real people tend to look much different than the regular characters.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top