“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 17 - Summer Festival

Dex-chan lover
It's not like she's a stranger. While she's hella sus to us and his sister, those concerns haven't been brought up to him, so he's innocently handing the baby over to another family member.
I'd have trouble if he did that with a pack of gum. The baby is hers to give and take, not his. Even without the concerns about the girl, this is out of line. Also, he has concerns about the girl too! So add another layer to the issue at hand.
With all these elements, the theory of cheating is not ruled out and is even highly likely. However, Chika shows a lot of concern and fear, which leads me to think that she may be in a toxic relationship with her husband, perhaps experiencing domestic violence, that she left her family home, is hiding there waiting to find a solution, and during the festival it's precisely her husband who calls her.
She's only ever been concerned looking at her phone. In fact, she gets more and more scared the more she looks at it, even in private. The guy that was messaging her about the husband? Yeah, it wasn't just the two messages we saw. If you look, you'll notice the phone keeps buzzing, and she keeps ignoring it, and is clearly having a bad time, despite her "lover" messaging her, there being no one around to ask who it is, and the only guy to know about this (as far as we know) believing every word she says.

So either she's cheating, and the author really overplayed his hand trying to misdirect us, or the phone thing is something entirely different. Honestly, if I had to read into the scene, it looks more like she's waiting for the message spam to end before she can go back. If I had to read even further into things, I'd say she's not lying about the part-time job thing, and this is her manager. Since he's her boss, she can't block him, and since he's her boss, he's abusing that fact to make passes at her.

I don't see any other reason she'd just keep moping in the bathroom, and ignoring said "lover's" repeated messages. And I don't see any other reason she wouldn't block someone she's so reluctant to interact with. Like you said:

If it were her lover, for example, I think she would have been more excited to receive his calls or messages, you know what I mean.

Has she ever been?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sis definitely got a call from the guy she’s cheating with and is probably meeting with him there. Then Touko will catch her in the act… just the kind of leverage she wants.
And the baby is the result of her cheating perhaps? Damn this is gonna be a trainwreck

Dex-chan lover
Nah, no way in hell she is going to hurt the baby. She likes him, doesn't she? She is just imagining how cute her (future) baby will be :worry:

She's only ever been concerned looking at her phone. In fact, she gets more and more scared the more she looks at it, even in private. The guy that was messaging her about the husband? Yeah, it wasn't just the two messages we saw. If you look, you'll notice the phone keeps buzzing, and she keeps ignoring it, and is clearly having a bad time, despite her "lover" messaging her, there being no one around to ask who it is, and the only guy to know about this (as far as we know) believing every word she says.

So either she's cheating, and the author really overplayed his hand trying to misdirect us, or the phone thing is something entirely different.Honestly, if I had to read into the scene, it looks more like she's waiting for to message spam to end before she can go back. If I had to read even further into things, I'd say she's not lying about the part-time job thing, and this is her manager. Since he's her boss, she can't block him, and since he's her boss, he's abusing that fact to make passes at her.

I don't see any other reason she'd just keep moping in the bathroom, and ignoring said "lover's" repeated messages. And I don't see any other reason she wouldn't block someone she's so reluctant to interact with. Like you said:
What you're saying is very interesting and I hadn't thought about the harassing boss she can't block. However, regarding her part-time job and thus your theory about the boss falls apart because in the previous chapter, the message she receives is about an issue with her husband. And the '...' in her responses make me doubt because it seems more like an excuse than anything else. However, she could indeed be subjected to blackmail.

We don't really know who sent her messages when she was in the bathroom, whether it was a man or a woman. Presumably for me, it was one of her friends if we follow what I was saying earlier because the person asked her if it's still the same with her husband. We can also add the fact that she slept poorly the night before.

To be honest, once again I don't deny the theory of Chika cheating, but for someone cheating on her husband, she seems remarkably unhappy to go see her lover. Generally, cheating isn't supposed to be a disaster for the one who cheats on their spouse.. and there, judging from her reactions every time her phone rings, she doesn't seem happy.

And regarding blocking the harasser, I would say it's more of a plot convenience to create drama lol

Dex-chan lover
However, regarding her part-time job and thus your theory about the boss falls apart because in the previous chapter, the message she receives is about an issue with her husband. And the '...' in her responses make me doubt because it seems more like an excuse than anything else.
What about the "..."? If she's getting a flurry of unwanted messages, I don't see why adding that in suddenly changes things. Also, I read the raws just now. The guy's doing more than just asking if "things are the same with her husband". He's outright asking if they're having sex. Without context, it's not clear what the full message is, but he's definitely inquiring about sex with her husband.

Add to this the fact that the brother outright says she starts worrying about other people when she herself is in trouble (As in, that's her coping mechanism), and the cheating theory falls apart. She was literally about to tell her brother about the issue until the girl came barging in.

Also, he uses "僕”, which implies he's a relatively young man. Maybe even younger than her.

So for:

We don't really know who sent her messages when she was in the bathroom, whether it was a man or a woman
We definitely do, the gender is just lost in translation.

The only possibility left is that she cheated, and she attracted a class 3 stalker.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Can you post your PFP? Been trying to find a good sized gif of that scene for ages.
sure

bocchi_cute.gif

What about the "..."? If she's getting a flurry of unwanted messages, I don't see why adding that in suddenly changes things. Also, I read the raws just now. The guy's doing more than just asking if "things are the same with her husband". He's outright asking if they're having sex. Without context, it's not clear what the full message is, but he's definitely inquiring about sex with her husband.

Add to this the fact that the brother outright says she starts worrying about other people when she herself is in trouble (As in, that's her coping mechanism), and the cheating theory falls apart. She was literally about to tell her brother about the issue until the girl came barging in.

Also, he uses "僕”, which implies he's a relatively young man. Maybe even younger than her.

So for:

The only possibility left is that she cheated, and she attracted a class 3 stalker.

Do you have a screenshot of the messages where Chika's interlocutor is more explicit please?
Edit: Forget it, I just checked the raw data and I used ChatGPT to get the translation

Last edited:

So for:

The only possibility left is that she cheated, and she attracted a class 3 stalker."I didn't know all of that, so the raws contain more details!!! It's nice of you to tell me, thank you!

So for:

I didn't know all of that, so the raws contain more details!!! It's nice of you to tell me, thank you!

Supporter

So for:

This makes a lot of sense. It’s not hard to imagine that she had a brief affair, broke it off, and now the guy is desperate to get it going again… maybe to the extent of threatening to expose her infidelity to her husband?

Also, if he is a stalker it would reinforce the possibility that he followed her to the festival and called her to confront her in person… a convenient audible exposition of their relationship for Touko to overhear

Dex-chan lover
This manga always feel like walking on Lego barefoot.
Here, at least sing along with japanese spiderman.

Not enough? Here,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread