Omega Heroine Wants Her Alpha Villainess - Ch. 42 - Celebration

Aggregator gang
Well you could just compare the fan translations with the official ones and see if they changed other things. There's 42 chapters open for comparison, no need to speculate and worry. (you can read a bunch of them for free on their website to check, they just have waiting times.)

Thanks for all the work so far Rae! I really appreciate it, I've enjoyed this series a LOT more than I expected, cos I usually stay away from omegaverse.

Dex-chan lover
That's fair. The issue tends to be that "hard to pronounce" or "unfamiliar" names can turn away a general audience, so I can understand the decisions they have to make. The type of people on this site are different from the average person. I appreciate both translations (the names are weird for me too) but I understand your point.
well that's part of the world and culture, having modern western names in historical chinese setting is way weirder, because a culture is foreign to us doesn't mean we have to change it

Dex-chan lover
well that's part of the world and culture, having modern western names in historical chinese setting is way weirder, because a culture is foreign to us doesn't mean we have to change it

That's fair. The issue tends to be that "hard to pronounce" or "unfamiliar" names can turn away a general audience, so I can understand the decisions they have to make. The type of people on this site are different from the average person. I appreciate both translations (the names are weird for me too) but I understand your point.
Changing names is always weird and stupid, it assumes the reader is too stupid to get used to it, and a lot of the times the names are not even hard to pronounce.

Also, general audience is a bullshit excuse, Tapas is full asian works without changing names, people  know what to expect, which makes changing names in a few series even more stupid.

Why change name in an asian works when people know the work happens in an asian country? If you're gonna westernized the names because people are too stupid you might as well westernized everything, because having western name with asian surnames + everything else still asian culture is just plain moronic.

Dex-chan lover
I would say it's even more than that, in manhua you often will have reference to the meaning of a character's name, how do you handle that if you localize it? you basically have to imagine and create an entire new sentence or dialogue from the ground up because you think drawings are for kids

Dex-chan lover
I would say it's even more than that, in manhua you often will have reference to the meaning of a character's name, how do you handle that if you localize it? you basically have to imagine and create an entire new sentence or dialogue from the ground up because you think drawings are for kids
Yeah, sooner or later a lot of series make direct or indirect references to the character names meaning, hell, a lot of series pretty clearly go for thematic names too.

It reminds me of Phoenix Wright series, they completely westernized the games, later they had to twist themselves into a pretzel to justify all the japanese stuff that appears in latter games.

Parody of that
https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/culture-schlock

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, sooner or later a lot of series make direct or indirect references to the character names meaning, hell, a lot of series pretty clearly go for thematic names too.

It reminds me of Phoenix Wright series, they completely westernized the games, later they had to twist themselves into a pretzel to justify all the japanese stuff that appears in latter games.

Parody of that
https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/culture-schlock
yeah unfortunally it happens too often, there's a reason why people mocke nintendo europe/na so much for there localizations

Dex-chan lover
yeah unfortunally it happens too often, there's a reason why people mocke nintendo europe/na so much for there localizations
Unfortunately people in power are stupid and don't understand this kind of change is unnecessary.

Also, I had a look at Tapas, I wonder if a lot of people couldn't accept the changes or just didn't like the series, because chapters have a pretty clear fall in views, by chapter 29 it barely hits around 900 views and the count is still going down as more chapters come out.
It started with 8k at first chapter, average of 4k until chapters 5 and kept falling, that sure doesn't look good lol

Dex-chan lover
Unfortunately people in power are stupid and don't understand this kind of change is unnecessary.

Also, I had a look at Tapas, I wonder if a lot of people couldn't accept the changes or just didn't like the series, because chapters have a pretty clear fall in views, by chapter 29 it barely hits around 900 views and the count is still going down as more chapters come out.
It started with 8k at first chapter, average of 4k until chapters 5 and kept falling, that sure doesn't look good lol
This is the most paranoid shit ever, most series see significant drop off, causal readers lose interest over time, it’s not that deep, even suggesting it’s because of something as simple as name changes is absurd

For what it's worth, Mojito's official translation also used westernized names, but the translation quality was actually better than both available fan translations.

You’re talking to brick walls man, they’ve already decided they hate it lol

As salty as it makes you dorks, I think it’s totally understandable to change names in series. I read a lot of manga, and manhwa, and names can either get very confusing or just lost in my head between all the series I read and the release gaps.

I’ve read every chapter of this series at it released here and gun to my head I couldn’t tell you the two leads first names

Dex-chan lover
This is the most paranoid shit ever, most series see significant drop off, causal readers lose interest over time, it’s not that deep, even suggesting it’s because of something as simple as name changes is absurd
Yeah, it's not that deep, but good job reading way too deep into my comments.
You’re talking to brick walls man, they’ve already decided they hate it lol
Yeah, because most people don't like unnecessary changes.
As salty as it makes you dorks, I think it’s totally understandable to change names in series. I read a lot of manga, and manhwa, and names can either get very confusing or just lost in my head between all the series I read and the release gaps.

I’ve read every chapter of this series at it released here and gun to my head I couldn’t tell you the two leads first names
Sounds like a you problem + skill issue, changing names is moronic, plain and simple, it's not without reason that 99% of all translations never do that, you don't mind it because you're already incapable of keeping track of names.

People want translations, and changing names is not the same as translating, you don't mind it? Good for you, but don't act as if that's a good thing.

Aggregator gang
You wanted suggestions so I went through the GL manhua on my list and found the ones that are no longer being TLed. I've not actually gotten around to reading all these, yet, though. So idk how good they are:

Female General and Eldest Princess - novel is completely translated and very popular. Only 7 chapters of the manhua are TLed. Don't know where the raws reached or if it's been cancelled or what (I'd be surprised if it was, cos it's popular in China, too)
Romance of the Stars - 64 chapters were translated before bilibili english shut down. up to ch99 is on mangago.me but last update was half a year ago. raws are at 128 (ongoing series)
June and Alice
the two epilogue chapters aren't TLed. Most of this series is behind a paywall.
You Are My Destiny by Multicultural - 57 of the 60 chapters are translated. last updated 3 years ago
Blackbird of Destiny (a.k.a. Bai He) - 13 of the 102 chapters are translated, the group dropped it 5 years ago cos had too much text for the TLer

As I've said, some of these I've not actually read (partly cos I saw the translation was incomplete) so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't interest you.

Dex-chan lover
but don't act as if that's a good thing.
Maybe take your own advice? Acting like its some malicous act or outright censorship like people are doing here is embarassing.

Hell I know an independent korean creator who gave his own characters different names in every language he translated for this specific reason. Sit here and personally mock me all you want, but I'm stating objective facts

It's not hard to simply be a mature and resonable adult and say "this is a dumb change, but I kinda get it" instead of endlessly posting "what other nefarious changes did they make they can't be trusted wreeeee"

Doesn't matter either way, the person working on this series already made it clear they arent going to waste their talents translating a series with an offical translation

Dex-chan lover
Maybe take your own advice? Acting like its some malicous act or outright censorship like people are doing here is embarassing.
Maybe you should take your own advice too, I never said it's malicious or censorship, just that it's stupid, making assumptions about what I meant like you're doing is also embarrassing.
Hell I know an independent korean creator who gave his own characters different names in every language he translated for this specific reason. Sit here and personally mock me all you want, but I'm stating objective facts
Just because one independent creator did that doesn't make it less stupid, changing names because somehow the readers are too stupid to deal with them is moronic, that also is a objective fact.
It's not hard to simply be a mature and resonable adult and say "this is a dumb change, but I kinda get it" instead of endlessly posting "what other nefarious changes did they make they can't be trusted wreeeee"
It's also not hard to ignore the people complaining about it, you don't get to tell others what they can or can't complain about.
Doesn't matter either way, the person working on this series already made it clear they arent going to waste their talents translating a series with an offical translation
Yes, doesn't matter, won't stop people from complaining or being disappointed.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You wanted suggestions so I went through the GL manhua on my list and found the ones that are no longer being TLed. I've not actually gotten around to reading all these, yet, though. So idk how good they are:

Female General and Eldest Princess - novel is completely translated and very popular. Only 7 chapters of the manhua are TLed. Don't know where the raws reached or if it's been cancelled or what (I'd be surprised if it was, cos it's popular in China, too)
Romance of the Stars - 64 chapters were translated before bilibili english shut down. up to ch99 is on mangago.me but last update was half a year ago. raws are at 128 (ongoing series)
June and Alice the two epilogue chapters aren't TLed. Most of this series is behind a paywall.
You Are My Destiny by Multicultural - 57 of the 60 chapters are translated. last updated 3 years ago
Blackbird of Destiny (a.k.a. Bai He) - 13 of the 102 chapters are translated, the group dropped it 5 years ago cos had too much text for the TLer

As I've said, some of these I've not actually read (partly cos I saw the translation was incomplete) so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't interest you.
Romance of the Stars is good. I feel like it's beginning to wrap up now, based on what's currently happening in the recent chapters. But I guess who knows. I'd selfishly love a reason to reread that with a continued translation.

Fed-Kun's army

June and Alice the two epilogue chapters aren't TLed. Most of this series is behind a paywall.

Oh thanks! I've started reading the novel for "female general and princess" once I reread it, I'll start translating it. That is if it is interesting enough for me to finish (I'm very lazy)

Dex-chan lover
For what it's worth, Mojito's official translation also used westernized names, but the translation quality was actually better than both available fan translations. There is one specific chapter where the leads are arguing, and both fan translations felt awkward (in different ways), like the characters were arguing on different topics. The official translation was notably more coherent and showed some nuances that seemed to be lost in the fan translations.

So translation quality isn't necessarily linked to that choice. However, I also dislike the westernized names quite strongly.

I'll get over it eventually, though. At least buying it supports the author and signals to the company (Tapas in this case) that fans want more GL manhwa.
Mojito's name changes killed me ngl, I got whiplash when I read the name "Melissa" lmao

Tapas in general is a straight villain of a platform when it comes to localization, in my opinion

Anyway it's a shame it ends here, if only because the chapters after this get really, really gay lol.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Mojito's name changes killed me ngl, I got whiplash when I read the name "Melissa" lmao
Yeah... the higher translation quality in a few spots was my only consolation. I really didn't enjoy the ending of that series either. It felt like it ran out of steam.
Tapas in general is a straight villain of a platform when it comes to localization, in my opinion
I don't know enough about the professional translation group industry and how it works to know who's actually responsible for those choices.

The most popular GL on Tapas right now is a manhua that's using original Chinese names and even original character nicknames (The Villainess and Miss Demon Lord).

What makes the two series different? Dunno.

Also, Mojito's official English translation first appeared on Tapas but whatever exclusivity they had did not last long since it popped up on two other apps like 12 months later iirc. So Tapas likely doesn't own the translation in that case. I'm guessing that means the translator for the project was responsible for the choice, but I'm not sure.
Anyway it's a shame it ends here, if only because the chapters after this get really, really gay lol.
Yeah, it does. Though I think we're about to enter an arc that's quite sad as well, if memory serves me from when I read the novel's MTL.

Also, I wonder if the manhua is going to go up to the end of the novel or stop when
the conflict in the ABO world is resolved. There's a ton of content after that still when they're in the real world, so maybe they'd have it set up as a "second season" or something?

Edit: Figured I'd chime in again after reading it all in case anyone who -can- get over the westernized names eventually was curious about the translation's quality.

The official English translation on Tapas is otherwise good. It does a better job than even the earlier scanlators of keeping Chinese puns alive in the translated text, where it can.

For example, in Chapter 1, the fan translation says "that perfect heroine" where the official translation says " 'flower on the cliff' heroine".

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The most popular GL on Tapas right now is a manhua that's using original Chinese names and even original character nicknames (The Villainess and Miss Demon Lord).

What makes the two series different? Dunno.
Nothing, I'm pretty sure Tapas has multiple translators, it's basically same issue of for example Kodansha, a lot of their translations are perfectly fine, and then you get stuff like Onimai that got twisted by the "translator", who changed some things to make it seem like the character was trans.

Also, Mojito's official English translation first appeared on Tapas but whatever exclusivity they had did not last long since it popped up on two other apps like 12 months later iirc. So Tapas likely doesn't own the translation in that case. I'm guessing that means the translator for the project was responsible for the choice, but I'm not sure.
You actually made me look, Tapas is literally the only one using western names, the others use the same translation by INKR, I guess the sites are related, so Tapas case has nothing to do with quality or pathetic excuses to appeal more people, it's just laziness and pure incompetence.

I'm pretty sure translator is responsible for the choices, since other works on Tapas have the original asian names, so it's quite literally just pure incompetence and greedy, as long as they can sell the chapters they don't care and will say the translation is good enough.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe you should take your own advice too, I never said it's malicious or censorship, just that it's stupid, making assumptions about what I meant like you're doing is also embarrassing.
Can you read? I said some people are, not you specifically. somemone literally brought up censorship, and two replies after you someone called the whole site villianious.

you also just started saying its laziness and incompetence, which makes literally no sense, like how is it lazy? If anything its less lazy to have to sit down and come up with new english names as opposed to just using the already existing names

Dex-chan lover
Can you read? I said some people are, not you specifically. somemone literally brought up censorship, and two replies after you someone called the whole site villianious.
Okay, I admit I completely forgot those two, I give you that :thonk:

you also just started saying its laziness and incompetence, which makes literally no sense, like how is it lazy? If anything its less lazy to have to sit down and come up with new english names as opposed to just using the already existing names
Incompetence and laziness of whoever is in control and approve the translations, since they'll accept any crap as long as they can sell it, also, let's not be dramatic here, coming up with a random western name is not hard, you can do that in less than 5 minutes, so don't act like that's hard work, especially because the names don't even fit the characters or their surnames.

Actually, fact that they didn't even go all the way and change the surnames too is proof that it's laziness, they just put whatever crappy western name they think is good enough and that's it.

Also, if you're going to keep coming to defend the name changes then you can stop, your opinion has been read, noted, and promptly ignored, most people want proper translations instead of garbage unnecessary changes, you don't care, we already know that, so you don't need to come back, because you will never convince anyone who disagrees with the change, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread