One Punch Man (Webcomic/Original) - Ch. 120

Contributor
WAIT WHAT THE FUCK?
SWEET MASK WAS A MONSTER!?

...in hindsight, it fits. Huh.

@codetaku
FIller is just going along for the ride. As long as the art is good, I don't mind a bit of filler every now and then.

Dex-chan lover
Not going to lie, I am not surprised Sweet Mask is a monster after all, what with the face changes during fights and all the beatings he takes while barely reacting to them.

Also, the way he tells his story is the typical way all monsters explain their backstory...

Actually, are we sure Saitama isn't a monster? The story of how he got his powers is also similar to how monsters usually develop, but I guess something happened and he ended up as he is now? Maybe in the past he was Blast, but something happened and he monsterized into Saitama after some event, or some weird thing like that.

Dex-chan lover
@licebmi they stuck to his clothing after the blood hardened, also they never moved Garou's wings were just for show, he never gained the power to fly.

Dex-chan lover
@uwubruh
from what I understand, ONE just anwsers Muratas questions about characters and gets a quick run down of stuff, kinda like what Toriyama does with Toyotaro, this chapter in itself shows how poignant ONEs writing is, compared to stuff like the martial arts tourney filler, the comparison is jarring.

Heck, even the confrontation with the Ninjas clashes with the Battle Flashy had with the 2 other ninjas in the Monster Asoc, there was never any mention of the 300 Ninja Master by the 2 monster ninja, nor how they were wiped out by blast, not even a hint or foreshadowing.

Dex-chan lover
Out of nowhere Sweet Mask becomes an interesting character...
Nice.

@boag
ONE is drawing entire story boards for Murata. And ONE is looking over and approving every change that Murata makes.

i have a lot of affection for sweet mask now. i always thought him being something other than human was intriguing but the fact that he is losing his humanity to become a symbol is very interesting. great chap.

I was having a hard time not being like Saitama and skipping past his dialogue. lol

NIB

Dex-chan lover
I still can't understand why Sweet Mask was interested in Saitama, the explanation was flimsy.

Dex-chan lover
@NIB He witnessed Saitama's overwhelming strength against Garou and believes that Saitama has the power to back up the position as the symbol of peace. Strength was all that really mattered to Amai Mask in this decision.

Saitama likely transformed, and we know he is gradually losing his human emotions. For some reason he doesn't have hostility/killing intent fighting to take over though.

Dex-chan lover
We know lots of heroes from B class up have some power, so what if all humans with powers are monsters?

Dex-chan lover
@NIB
TL;DR Sweet mask has a vision of a perfect hero, Saitama has the power and the ruthlessness to fufill that vision while lacking the charisma.
That is why Sweet Mask is interested in Saitama.

I don't agree or like the theories of Saitama being a monster.
The most inspiring thing about this manga is the fact that a totally normal man that was born with no advantages through genetics or some kind of special supernatural 'fate' pushed his way to a place of absolute power through sheer determination and willpower alone.
In fact, it genuinely inspires me on a day to day basis, even though it's totally fiction.
As far as I can tell, it's a pretty much unheard of idea in anime/manga.
The best thing about Saitama is that it seems he's morally unshakeable as much as his body is unbreakable.
I love that the desires and motivation of the S class is finally being explored through interaction with Saitama. I think it's really adding depth to the story.
Zombieman wants to have his power, Flashy wants to teach him and Sweet mask wants to change him.

Users who are viewing this thread