Online Game Nakama to Sashi Off shitara Shokuba no Onijoushi ga Kita - Vol. 1 Ch. 18

@NerdyMangaEater uwa~ I hope that pings you! Most of the time, Japanese people tend to omit the subject in a sentence or other details like that when the topic of conversation has been established, and that's why it's easy for third parties to misunderstand or assume misconceptions. It's natural to omit the subject because otherwise sentences tend to become stilted or really long and awkward... like if I were talking about myself, I wouldn't always say things like "My name is... I am __ years old, My job is...", but rather, I might just say (I hate to use romaji here, but I'll use it anyway) "Kiki desu! # sai desu!" as an example. (My name's Kiki. I'm # years old.) Adding the "watashi ha (I am)" in front of every sentence just drags on in conversation~ However, if someone happened to come along and overhear me talking about someone's age/job/hobbies etc, they might assume I'm talking about myself, when I could be talking about just about anyone. Like with an age, what if I happened to be talking about my niece instead? That conversation might fall along the lines of [My niece's/My] hobbies are studying, baking, etc., and [her/my] favorite color is blue. Anyone who wasn't there for the beginning of the conversation might just assume that I'm talking about myself. If that's unclear, I'm open to dms, but yes, it's something that I know romance manga definitely takes advantage of and is extremely hilarious to read when you're not frustrated over drama caused by misunderstandings. <3

@NerdyMangaEater Oh, oh, and beyond that, there's also the fact that there are many homophones and similar sounding words~ Everything is really dependent on the context of the conversation, and that's one of the reasons that if you use Google Translate to translate something written only in hiragana (one of the basic alphabets), opposed to kanji (which defines the meanings of words better because you're able to see what the root characters are/their meanings), you might get a translation that's entirely different from what you wanted to convey. Of course, that's less likely in speaking because of tones and what not, but there's still that chance of misunderstanding~

@NerdyMangaEater ah yeah. They do talk directly but alot of conversation can be more in a roundabout way so you can get confused. Like I've found alot don't really like to say no so it ends up being long sentence with chotto tacked on.

Yeah!! 60Bluco nailed it; Japanese culture also tends to be more polite and won't say some things outright in conversation because it's perceived as rude, and so things can really get misunderstood, especially if people start using euphemisms of any sort.

Yes I live for this ahhahaha
The mental gymnastics he had to do in 0.1 secs to try and figure out what was going on

Dex-chan lover
That meme at the end.

Yes.

Dammit, y u so dense dude.

But also, I'm biased to Shirase so...mixed feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings

I was already losing it at the comedic timing of the whole situation, and the pikachu face made it even better. Thanks for the update!

Lol...poor Kumada-kun, but I'm proud of him for taking his shot despite the odds. Thanks for translating!! Looking forward to hopefully seeing Hashimoto-san and Shirase-san interact next chapter!

That surprised Pikachu really conveyed everything.
FUUUUUUUCK WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE MISCOMMUNICATIONS?!?! I LOVE THIS 😂

🤣🤣🤣
And the misunderstanding continues! I thought it was finally going die! But no!
🤣🤣🤣

Thanks so much for the update!😊

Dex-chan lover
ahahahaha the pikachu pretty much summed it up
stupid ass manga

Double-page supporter
I REALLY CANT'T ANYMORE LMAO MY DUDE IT WAS A CONFESSION damn hashimoto in a sandwich between kumada and shirase wouldnt be bad tho ahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread