Onna no Ko ga Iru Basho wa - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The Day I Kicked The Soccer Ball

Dex-chan lover
Not a ton of works focusing on those regions... well, barring Japan anyway lol. Should be a thoughtful read.

Dex-chan lover
Immediately recognized the author! Her style improved a lot here. Thank you for the translation <3

Lame. I had this series bookmarked for years after seeing the cover, excited to see how they'll portray girls from other cultures only to focus and adhere to negative stereotypes (the two wives having a stare down) Its fine obviously, to question the bad aspects of a culture, but I wonder if they'll put other countries under this much scrutiny? (Like Japan treats women perfectly fine) I also find it ironic that Saudia Arabia is portrayed as the oppressive here compared to ~America~. Of course she longs to be in America, imaging she'll be treated better when we do know how America treats Muslims or muslim perceived ethnicities, especially in current times (even more ironic she does so with her hijab flying off, a religious symbol women have targeted and killed over for. I guess discrimination only goes one way). Maybe this series is about sexism in various cultures and isn't a complete write off, but I doubt it. If you guys want a better, more positive look into Islamic cultures I recommend Otoyomegatari (they have sister brides in it too, that have an actually gasp good relationship!)

Honestly have to agree with a previous comment. I had high hopes for this one after hearing it received nominations for an award, thinking it would celebrate women’s lives from other cultures. I respect the story might be trying to tackle women’s struggles in these societies instead, but it hardly touches the complexity of the issues raised—its black-and-white approach most clearly evident in setting Saudi Arabia against America, the so-called beacon of progress (an increasingly dangerous juxtaposition to be made today). I suppose, given all recent events, I’m not as willing to suspend disbelief on this topic as I once would have been.

I’ll stick around to see how these stories go though. Thanks very much to Decadence for the quality scans!

Dex-chan lover
Rule 1: Transphobia breaks our rules.
Lame. I had this series bookmarked for years after seeing the cover, excited to see how they'll portray girls from other cultures only to focus and adhere to negative stereotypes (the two wives having a stare down) Its fine obviously, to question the bad aspects of a culture, but I wonder if they'll put other countries under this much scrutiny? (Like Japan treats women perfectly fine) I also find it ironic that Saudia Arabia is portrayed as the oppressive here compared to ~America~. Of course she longs to be in America, imaging she'll be treated better when we do know how America treats Muslims or muslim perceived ethnicities, especially in current times (even more ironic she does so with her hijab flying off, a religious symbol women have targeted and killed over for. I guess discrimination only goes one way). Maybe this series is about sexism in various cultures and isn't a complete write off, but I doubt it. If you guys want a better, more positive look into Islamic cultures I recommend Otoyomegatari (they have sister brides in it too, that have an actually gasp good relationship!)
In America, misogynistic men (transwoman) would just invalidate her existence and experience by claiming that they're the same as her, ignoring her biological reality in the name of social justice.

Dex-chan lover
Rule 1: Transphobia breaks our rules.
Weird. According to the west, she should just start identifying as a man and all this issue should go away. Remember people, there's only two genders and identifying as a woman doesn't make you one. Let's all respect woman by not denying their biological reality and their sex based rights.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly have to agree with a previous comment. I had high hopes for this one after hearing it received nominations for an award, thinking it would celebrate women’s lives from other cultures. I respect the story might be trying to tackle women’s struggles in these societies instead, but it hardly touches the complexity of the issues raised—its black-and-white approach most clearly evident in setting Saudi Arabia against America, the so-called beacon of progress (an increasingly dangerous juxtaposition to be made today). I suppose, given all recent events, I’m not as willing to suspend disbelief on this topic as I once would have been.

I’ll stick around to see how these stories go though. Thanks very much to Decadence for the quality scans!
I think it does a fine job expressing the reality that different people respond to this society they're in, in different ways. The protagonist's friend doesn't question the way marriages are arranged, and is just very happy for her sister that her husband likes her while wishing to have a similar experience-- she takes comfort in the prospect of having that juncture of her life laid out for her before she gets to the point where it matters.

Of course Amira would be beside herself about being the first of two wives, but she's also grateful because she wouldn't have easily been able to marry on account of being infertile-- and being married means that she can do what she wants in that society. The protagonist's second wife is likely similarly conflicted, but is nonetheless grateful because she-- a divorcee-- similarly would have struggled to find a husband.

These people aren't depicted as delusional-- one takes the culture they inhabit for granted and finds hope and despair in that perspective, two find peace with a more dicey aspect of it, and one questions it all (without condemnation, let alone with authorial backing) when given the opportunity to. I think that's fairly balanced, even if it comes off as mechanical since this all being a chapter long inhibits it from really stewing.

I also don't get the sense that the two cultures are being pitted against each other, because barely anything about America is described for the sake of comparison. For example, much of this vignette is about marriage specifically (even as it's generally about how women operate in Saudi Arabian culture), but at no point is courtship and marriage in broader American culture described for the sake of any comparison.

Dex-chan lover
Weird. According to the west, she should just start identifying as a man and all this issue should go away. Remember people, there's only two genders and identifying as a woman doesn't make you one. Let's all respect woman by not denying their biological reality and their sex based rights.
Weird. As a biological woman, I don't see any respect for women in your comments. Let's not deny that you're a transphobic misogynist. You should be banned

Dex-chan lover
Weird. As a biological woman, I don't see any respect for women in your comments. Let's not deny that you're a transphobic misogynist. You should be banned
So as a biological woman, you doesn't believe that woman are discriminated based on their biological difference compared to man? You doesn't think man that identify as woman devalues and even disprove this struggle? You genuinely think there's no biological difference between man and woman? Yeah no way you're a "real biological woman" lol

Why bother, you people never cared about the truth. Just block me and pretend you're right dude. Same way all those man pretended to be woman and ignore or straight up degrade people that says otherwise

Dex-chan lover
So as a biological woman, you doesn't believe that woman are discriminated based on their biological difference compared to man? You doesn't think man that identify as woman devalues and even disprove this struggle? You genuinely think there's no biological difference between man and woman? Yeah no way you're a "real biological woman" lol

Why bother, you people never cared about the truth. Just block me and pretend you're right dude. Same way all those man pretended to be woman and ignore or straight up degrade people that says otherwise
Being a woman is not inherently wrong. Being part of a struggle is not inherently good.

Women suffer under discrimination and prejudice, but that is not central to being a woman. A woman who does not undergo those challenges is no less a woman than any other. Imagine a world where gender discrimination is fully gone --- under your definition, no women would exist, since the struggle is required to 'qualify'.

Live and let live. Someone else's gender does not invalidate your own.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Page 32-33 got me for a second. The moment where you realize something just doesn't make sense.

Also about the whole America thing, she's a kid with no idea what that means. All she knows is that the one scary thing facing her down will not happen in America (most likely).

All the issues with America are foreign to her for now. She's just wondering about society where marriage is not a pre-req to societal worth.

Dex-chan lover
Someone else's gender does not invalidate your own.
Well that's the problem lol 😂. These delusional man are literally invalidating woman existence by claiming their experience or straight up denying it. Hell, they even took the opportunity to take special spot given to woman. Remember Lia Thomas?

Dex-chan lover
Women suffer under discrimination and prejudice, but that is central to being a woman. A woman who does not undergo those challenges is no less a woman than any other. Imagine a world where gender discrimination is fully gone --- under your definition, no women would exist, since the struggle is required to 'qualify'
No. What's central to being a woman is being a woman. Not the discrimination. In the simplest way possible, you need to be a woman to be a woman. You cannot be one simply by identifying as one. And being a woman comes with specific biological components that aren't present in men no matter what those delusional one say. And these biological components leads to discrimination since the stone ages. The day gender discrimination is gone, woman and man would still exist because the difference would still exist. It's just that we as a society understood that it's not an excuse to put one above the other. And more importantly, specific spaces for respective gender exist for this very reason even if no such discrimination exist. Got it?

Dex-chan lover
No. What's central to being a woman is being a woman. Not the discrimination.
Fully agreed, I made a typo. Your original comment made it sound like struggle was central to being a woman and that considering someone who didn't struggle a women was invalidating the experience of every other woman. I strongly disagre with that.

And being a woman comes with specific biological components that aren't present in men no matter what those delusional one say. And these biological components leads to discrimination since the stone ages.
There are women born without vaginas or labias. Does that make them any less of a women?

Also discrimination is not guaranteed by having female body parts. There are several matriarchical societies I can mention, as well as societies that treat men and women as equals.

My point is really simple. Someone else identifying as a women does not invalidate the struggles faced by other women. Womanhood is not inherently defined by struggle. Neither does having a certain set of organs, because there are many women with altered 23rd chromosomes.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Being a woman is not inherently wrong. Being part of a struggle is not inherently good.

Women suffer under discrimination and prejudice, but that is not central to being a woman. A woman who does not undergo those challenges is no less a woman than any other. Imagine a world where gender discrimination is fully gone --- under your definition, no women would exist, since the struggle is required to 'qualify'.

Live and let live. Someone else's gender does not invalidate your own.
Oh forgot, you people never cared about the truth lol 😂. Just block me and pretend you're right kiddo.

Dex-chan lover
Fully agreed, I made a typo. Your original comment made it sound like struggle was central to being a woman and that considering someone who didn't struggle a women was invalidating the experience of every other woman. I strongly disagre with that.
Buddy, you think the struggle comes from thin air? It comes from the biological difference. That I stated in another comment. That you reacted with a dumb reaction.
There are women born without vaginas or labias. Does that make them any less of a women?
No. They're still woman. A conjoined twin is still a human despite their body eccentricity. A baby born with no legs and arm is still a human as well. This gotcha ain't working the way you think it is dumbo
Also discrimination is not an inherent part of having female body parts. There are several matriarchical societies I can mention, as well as societies that treat men and women as equals.
Yes it is. You're welcome to present evidence to prove your point if you think it's not. And please list those society lol.
My point int is really simple. Someone else identifying as a women does not invalidate the struggles faced by other women. Womanhood is not inherently defined by struggle.
Yes it is. The struggle comes from the biological differences between man and woman. Someone claiming that those biological components doesn't matter is literally disproving the struggle. Again, you're welcome to present your point with evidence to support it but I guess you people think that no evidence is needed whatsoever to prove your words. Rocks for brain :pepela:

Users who are viewing this thread