Ore no Kurasu ni Wakagaetta Moto Yome ga Iru - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Well, then you can answer his point to me, because its the same as @jcuum and @Kurshir made
Do you have any actual understanding of Japanese work culture and society, to be so readily saying (basically) "why didnt he just quit? is he an idiot? its so simple"
Here's what he should have done: grow a pair of balls and quit his job.
Why he should have done it: so it doesn't ruin his life.
How he should have done it: ghost his employers, or even hire one of those japanese companies that will quit on your behalf.

I mean, really? Sucking up to "culture and society" and letting a company exploit them is the "right" thing to do? Whoever thinks that is fucked-up in the head.

Your turn, dear sir who apparently has a deep understanding of Japanese society and culture. Please tell me what he should have done, as a respectable member of society, to save his marriage and mental health while being constantly exploited by a black company, in a culturally acceptable way.

By the way, "black companies" aren't a Japan-exclusive thing. They can be found them pretty much anywhere where the law is lax and worker rights are weak. The "culture and society (and family)" is exactly how they prey on the people with weak minds, and learning that companies don't care about their workers, and therefore you shouldn't care about the company, is a massive part of professional growth. MC screwed up hard that part, and did the worst thing possible: took it out on his wife. That's beyond lame and makes MC a huge loser in my eyes.

Dex-chan lover
After this chapter, it's definitely the dude's fault for ruining their marriage.
"Sorry, honey, but the black company is more important than you."

Now I'm feeling bad for Yuzuka, who is falling again for this no-good bastard.
That's a very one dimensional way of looking at it. Most people don't want to put working on top of family, but a lot of the time they have no choice. Especially if you're the sole provider for your family. People can feel trapped working in black companies because they don’t want to risk making their family homeless if they quit and can't find another job.

Dex-chan lover
That's a very one dimensional way of looking at it. Most people don't want to put working on top of family, but a lot of the time they have no choice. Especially if you're the sole provider for your family. People can feel trapped working in black companies because they don’t want to risk making their family homeless if they quit and can't find another job.
That would make sense if they had children, or had to take care of a sick relative, or something equally weighty - yet, so far, that doesn't seem to be the case, they were just communicating poorly.

At worst they could have moved back with their parents or worked part-time jobs while they re-arranged their professional lives. Not great, but definitely better than ruining a marriage (and dying).

Dex-chan lover
That would make sense if they had children, or had to take care of a sick relative, or something equally weighty - yet, so far, that doesn't seem to be the case, they were just communicating poorly.

At worst they could have moved back with their parents or worked part-time jobs while they re-arranged their professional lives. Not great, but definitely better than ruining a marriage (and dying).
Very true. The lack of communication basically caused the downfall of their marriage.

Honestly, the poor writing wasn’t doing the MC any favors into exploring why he stayed in the black company as long as he did.

Dex-chan lover
Did u still remember how to finish all ur high school test even though u already 40? Damn, u must be a legend
The thing is, he has at least some prior knowledge, he has all the time in the world to brush it up, he cares about studying, and he cares about not being one-upped by Yuzuka

Dex-chan lover
Here's what he should have done: grow a pair of balls and quit his job.
Why he should have done it: so it doesn't ruin his life.
How he should have done it: ghost his employers, or even hire one of those japanese companies that will quit on your behalf.

I mean, really? Sucking up to "culture and society" and letting a company exploit them is the "right" thing to do? Whoever thinks that is fucked-up in the head.

Your turn, dear sir who apparently has a deep understanding of Japanese society and culture. Please tell me what he should have done, as a respectable member of society, to save his marriage and mental health while being constantly exploited by a black company, in a culturally acceptable way.

By the way, "black companies" aren't a Japan-exclusive thing. They can be found them pretty much anywhere where the law is lax and worker rights are weak. The "culture and society (and family)" is exactly how they prey on the people with weak minds, and learning that companies don't care about their workers, and therefore you shouldn't care about the company, is a massive part of professional growth. MC screwed up hard that part, and did the worst thing possible: took it out on his wife. That's beyond lame and makes MC a huge loser in my eyes.
You see, Im not saying you are wrong in what he should have done, im saying you are wrong in assuming its that easy to do in their enviroment.
In black company, you cant just quit, they will always get you fired. And in japan, if you are fired, finding new job is hell, and everyone is assuming, that you deserved it, and you are trash. Add in psychological manipulation to further keep people from "running away" and you get perfect little drones, that will leave only either when their boss needs it, or in a casket.
Though since you wrote last paragraph about black companies, you should understand that. Yet you see whats happening as simply "his fault" which i see as wrong.

Dex-chan lover
You see, Im not saying you are wrong in what he should have done, im saying you are wrong in assuming its that easy to do in their enviroment.
In black company, you cant just quit, they will always get you fired. And in japan, if you are fired, finding new job is hell, and everyone is assuming, that you deserved it, and you are trash. Add in psychological manipulation to further keep people from "running away" and you get perfect little drones, that will leave only either when their boss needs it, or in a casket.
Though since you wrote last paragraph about black companies, you should understand that. Yet you see whats happening as simply "his fault" which i see as wrong.
Wow
I was about to say something similar but you put it the most elequantly. I will just add this:
It looks to me (from my reading of manga which actually might not be accurate portrayal of japanese society) that japanese work culture places great emphasis on tireless effort, perseverance and selflessness. Yeah, the black companies are exploiting that aspect, but even in relatively normal company you are still expected to not leave the work until you finish your job/task. So, quitting your job is most likely perceived as weakness and stigma to be carried your whole life.

Dex-chan lover
Well said. Cultural Relativism is the key word here. Saying "just quit" might be easy enough in like, LA or whatever but not in Japan.

Dude said there are companies that quit for you- gee I wonder why something like that even exists in the first place. Either way, they'll still get shit on in society no matter how they do it.

Putting all the blame on the male lead is just stupid, that's like blaming poor people for taking shady loans. They basically had no choice. The husband is as much of a victim here as the wife.

Double-page supporter
I foresee some lazy writing ahead. He's supposed to have learned a valuable lesson today about communicating. He's already late to a meeting, and with the lessons he's learned the previous day he should remember to text his ex wife and let her know that her senpai has asked for help with something and he won't be able to make it. But to create tension and conflict the writer is going to have him forget, leaving her waiting on him all night at the meeting place and causing old relationship issues to resurface.

Dex-chan lover
I never said it was easy. But what other options does he have? In the end, the only one he can rely to get him out this situation is himself. He chose to work in that company, he chose to stay there, it's only logical that he must solve this problem himself. Expecting someone else to take responsibility or fix this whole situation is just absurd. It's a tough pill to swallow, but one that must be taken nonetheless if anything is to improve.

People need to learn to take action and not to be exploited. If they wait, their situation will only get worse.
If the whole issue is a systemic one, they should take some more serious actions: join/create a Worker's Union. Use glassdoor (or a Japanese equivalent). Start reporting, calling out and suing black companies. Stop electing right-wing politicians.

All the places I've worked were just normal, but at least in my country, getting fired isn't the end of you career (unless you made a major screw up, like the whole Crowdstrike situation). Getting cancelled on twitter for being a bigot is probably more harmful. lol

That said, I do question if "black companies" are really such a common problem in Japan, or if mangas and anime just play it up for the drama, and we westerns take it at face value. Maybe all the fear, uncertainty and doubt is just in his head, and if he just mustered up the courage to quit, nothing bad would really happen.

Dex-chan lover
I never said it was easy. But what other options does he have? In the end, the only one he can rely to get him out this situation is himself. He chose to work in that company, he chose to stay there, it's only logical that he must solve this problem himself. Expecting someone else to take responsibility or fix this whole situation is just absurd. It's a tough pill to swallow, but one that must be taken nonetheless if anything is to improve.

That said, I do question if "black companies" are really such a common problem in Japan, or if mangas and anime just play it up for the drama, and we westerns take it at face value. Maybe all the fear, uncertainty and doubt is just in his head, and if he just mustered up the courage to quit, nothing bad would really happen.
1) That is true and I will end it at that. Maybe him realising this will be one of the points of improvement in the story (though I dont really count on it).
Though, they both are absolutely terrible at communication(i mean, i can enjoy a tsundere, but fuckin hell man), so I see his work/home life balance more as a pretext, not the reason.
2) I will only point out, that black companies are used in a fuckton of jap media, before and now. While the scale would probably seem exaggerated if we look at all of that, the fact that it is still used - and thus is fairly relatable to a lot of readers, we can presume - says that the problem is at least sizable and still relevant.

Aggregator gang
𝓔𝔁 𝓦𝓲𝓯𝓮
VS
Possibly "New" Wife

Who will he choose?
Follow this manga to know the truth​
His Ex Wife obviously

Contributor
I dont think I've ever seen someone so confident that they're wrong before.
If the author has an inkling of intelligence, they’ll make the MCs fall in love with each other again the old fashioned way. But alas, my heart has been hardened by one too many bad writing decisions and I fear we may see another love triangle on the horizon. I want to be wrong so bad

Users who are viewing this thread