Orenchi ni Kita Onna Kishi to Inakagurashi Surukotoninatta Ken - Vol. 3 Ch. 23 - Homo Sapiens

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan not always, sometimes magic is a reality warping radiation. In Tsuki ga Michibiku, and a few other sci fy things I've read, magic makes the laws of physics malleable, magic dead zones are very rigid, like Earth. I mean I think it's also on a horseshoe kind of principle, where it eventually goes back around to being predictable, and easy to study, but for the most part, the more magic there is, the easier it is to defy basic laws.

Dex-chan lover
I asked my great grandfather and he said we never use human feces, even dating back to a hundred years ago for farming.

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep They did actually limit her entertainment. And even beyond that, they had the staff minimize conversation with her. Things only changed slightly because one of the staff, the middle aged woman, spoke up in that panel where she was like "About Chris' condition", to what seemed to be her supervisor. The things they did to here were very inhumane. And if I remember right the narration it self did speak of repeated test. But even if they weren't repeated they still did way too many, there was no way they could process all the samples and data they were getting that quickly. You saw how many marks were on her arm. They entirely disregarded how she felt and went full panic mode. I talked about this in discussion on another chapter, but essentially they stopped being 'rational' and instead were full tilt panic reaction and over did pretty much everything. Especially if you consider that she was from another world and they didn't know she was human. (If you don't know the differences between her body and a humans then every sample you get is useless because you don't know how it's effects would change in a human. So every test before they knew she was human could only test "Does she have something we don't know about?")

Dex-chan lover
can we go back to wholesome farming now please

How I imagine one half of the doctors and scientists and government agencies were
like-homosapiens.jpg

and the other half be like BUT

166co0.jpg

Group Leader
"a little mentally exhausted, and may need counseling."

Gee, ya think!?

They should be counted as more than lucky, that her magic body-strengthened punch didn't land in their faces and destroyed the wall instead, after being locked up for weeks with zero mental stimuli to keep her occupied. All the multiple needles drawing blood several times a day certainly didn't help either, resulting in her arm looking worse than a heroin addict. Fuck every one of these characters besides Chris.

Dex-chan lover
@xhecko I imagine she is a specialized nurse who only works in that isolation unit. She is probably dead inside from seeing people end up in Chris's condition and worse.

It does make sense make sense that linked worlds would share similarities. who knows, maybe there is lots of cross contamination, but not so many humans move between worlds because it requires a larger build up of energy, the rift hast to be big enough or some shit like that. Maybe a lot of humans from the other world come over but most end up in the ocean, getting eaten by animals or picked up by governments or orgs.

@WillLi We were never shown her doing anything for entertainment so limiting something that we didn't even see in the first place doesn't make sense. The staff having minimal conversation isn't true, they do talk to her, but it reaches the point where Chris doesn't respond enthusiastically because of fatigue. Repeated tests aren't inhumane, you basically do that for drug trials (those aren't inhumane as well). Them not knowing how to process the data is up to the author's interpretation since there is no real world precedence here, as well as the number of tests done on her. The marks on her arm is clearly author unawareness, you don't stick the needle to that many places( why the hell should it reach to the forearm?) though taking multiple blood samples is illogical in the situation. Her being from another world doesn't make it inhumane just because they treated her the same as an individual from this world.

The words exhausting would be appropriate here ( and it makes sense, especially since Chris hasn't experienced the situation ever) but this inhumane nonsense isn't.

I really want the wholesome farm life to reboot again but I have a strong feeling that there's going to be more government interference.

Seeing how the newspapers have mysterious happenings coincidentally when key points of a chapter point it out and such.
🙃

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep:"[...] Chris doesn't respond enthusiastically because of fatigue[...]"
Mental fatigue.

Her whole stay was mentally taxing. Those around her have been people she didn't know and who have been hiding behind masks. There has been this psychological barrier between them all the time (Subject to experiments - isolation crew). They took samples of her and she had to yield. She had to stay in that room and they came and left the room like they wanted. There has been a clean sub-conscious border been drawn between them. She was cut off from normal human interaction for weeks, leaving her to her memories about her kingdom and that feeling, she shouldn't stay in bed, but fight as a knight that invasion her nation has to face right now.
Also repeated tests aren't inhumane, but mentally taxing, too. Especially if they contain stuff you don't like, like giving urine samples or being pierced be a needle. (As far as I know, there is a technique to pierce the patient with a special needle once and leave it there for easy access later, so that you don't destroy those veins.)
Such a stay would be taxing for everyone and they couldn't have known, how it would fell for her. But they should have anticipated, because of her human form, that she might not react well to it. They have been so careful about the physical stuff, but couldn't spare a single psychologist/counselor to monitor her mental health? Even though they had good reason to theorize, that magic is invoked mentally, and they also have been looking for a possible magical illness?
I'm glad, that nurse called her superior on this, but I'm also mad at her, that it took that long. Maybe her job was on the line for doing so, but in this case it has been a shitty chain of commands.
As soon as she asked for the stat of her friend, the next thing you'd expect from the nurses is to think 'Maybe she want talk to her friends?' and inform mentioned superior about it. You'd expect them to care for her mental state, but they didn't. This situation was so far off a benevolent meant isolation and that mistake so obvious, that you have to draw the conclusion they might have done it on purpose. (Why? To remove her from sight for good? To test her behavior on slowly rising stress levels?)
I don't care if they provided "entertainment by other means" (a TV for example). She didn't make use of those, so they should have noticed that and try to counter that development. They didn't even really try to, or they would have allocated a person trained in psychological treatment from the start.

Verdict: -> Inhuman treatment (Either by device or incompetence)

We as the readers can judge this scenario on two levels:
Either we embrace it on a immersive level and in this case those fools of the government are either stupid or evil,
or we analyze it on the basis, that an author has written this and had to fit in drama. In that case that could have went better, as many readers have been pissed off about this. XD I for my part liked that excursion into semi-realism and would have enjoyed it more, if the author would have being a bit more realistic on the matter of mental care and a bit less focused on squeezing in that drama. That kind of "I missed you so much!" setting would have come in fruition anyways.

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep you should go back and reread when she first got there. Chris tried to talk to them. They wouldn't talk aback with her really. And they never really tried to hold conversation with her, pretty sure not even after she went in depression. They should also know by the government lady's report she knows nothing of technology. So they should've gotten things non technological that she could do to entertain herself. THe reason we don't see her use entertainment prior to this is because she occupied herself for most of the day and had someone to talk to. So she wasn't sitting around all day. It's pretty much as @Qelix says, they didn't do a thing for her mental state until she was already way down. And disrespecting the humanity of someone, either by accident or intent, is "Treating them inhumanely". Any good hospital will have on site mental care for anyone they plan to have for extended quarantine.

And I think most people here would've enjoyed this if it was presented better. But they showed up like they were gonna kidnap the poor girl right from the start. And they've been total jerks about procedure without an ounce of empathy until it was too late for the reader's opinion of them. (Almost like the only reason it changed was because of reader complaints) so it just looks like forced drama instead of an attempt at realism.

oooOOO yeah nah the gov ain't letting her go lol not when she got magic

Contributor
I see the author pulled back from the brink of realistic disaster by deciding to have his story's government finally release her.
I doubt that's the last we'll see of them though.

Also, the first thing the MC cared to say when he entered her room was a remark about the goddamn room, not her - supposedly a fellow homo sapiens and a friend...
He was like this last chapter, and now this. Sad to see how little this guy cares about Chris.

@WillLi The only instance that they didn't talk back is when she was eating (and depending on the culture, it is rude to talk when someone is eating). They talk to her politely, but not deep enough as that is what is commonly done in hospitals. We did get snippets of her trying to know Kanji's situation, but other than that, we have no info, so no conclusion could be made there.

It's pretty much as @Qelix says, they didn't do a thing for her mental state until she was already way down. And disrespecting the humanity of someone, either by accident or intent, is "Treating them inhumanely". Any good hospital will have on site mental care for anyone they plan to have for extended quarantine.

I think you are misunderstanding what being inhumane is. Apathy in most cases is not being inhumane. Treating someone as not befitting the same respect as you as an individual is inhumane. Inhumane is being cruel or sadistic. The tests done to her could've been done to anyone who has caught a severely infectious disease and it wouldn't be inhumane. As for the on site mental care, you're severely overestimating hospitals. Mental care isn't a first priority in most medical hospitals, the fact that she is an other worlder also doesn't help in the situation.

Picture this, replace her with say, a smallpox patient in a scenario where the vaccine wasn't created. Would the treatment be the same. Yes. Did they stomp some human dignity in the process? No. Things being mentally taxing is natural when you're in the hospital for long and just because you think the treatment isn't the most optimal does not suddenly make it inhumane.

That is the issue here. The reaction to her case is fine, calling it inhumane is stupid.

And I think most people here would've enjoyed this if it was presented better. But they showed up like they were gonna kidnap the poor girl right from the start. And they've been total jerks about procedure without an ounce of empathy until it was too late for the reader's opinion of them. (Almost like the only reason it changed was because of reader complaints) so it just looks like forced drama instead of an attempt at realism.
I don't find any issue with this statement, but do not care about it. Them being shady is from the vantage point of fmc, which we share. Anyone from a well country with a well maintained public trust wouldn't be as doubtful as her, as we know that human rights are preserved in those cases. Kanji, most probably thought that they weren't doing harm, but knows that it would be tedious. They've been total jerks? Perhaps. But I think this is as realistic as it could be (ignoring artistic license) of what happens to someone isolated from contracting a new highly infective virus, apart from the magic thing.

I'll put this as a response to @Qelix as well

Users who are viewing this thread