Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 66

Dex-chan lover
@412001 because kou is a cis female and unless that's how it's originally written, it's technically a rewrite and not a translation.

Please it's She/Her i don't see any reason why you would use They/Them. It's not Twitter

Aggregator gang
i thought there would be a lot of kyaas after what just transpired but of course the comments are a complete dumpster fire.

Dex-chan lover
Quite an annoying customer. But then again, if she has merely forgotten the title, she might recognise the manga if she's shown everything going on sale that day. You can tell she doesn't really care, however, since she so readily wants to shift her own mistake (not remembering) onto the staff to solve.

Aww, first job...and working with the public! And Nao isn’t actually 100% happy to see his baby chick taking her first steps into the world...does that mean progress at last for this adorable pair?

Dex-chan lover
Just use she or her for Kou. Its really confusing otherwise. Its been confirm she is a girl, right? Why change it?

Dex-chan lover
@VesperPie "-kun" is being used because that's what Kou prefers. Japanese in general doesn't use pronouns unless when it's used to address someone intimately. (Japanese lack "s/he" pronouns but it can get confusing. mainly used to refer by nickname or by the context of the situation.) like the use of "mister" or "lass", it has prefix/suffix behavior but in the context of this situation, it's Kou's nickname.

Dex-chan lover
Awwww I love these two!! Thanks for translating!

And side note, y’all really making a stink about a translation you are getting for free. Do it yourself or support the official release if there’s something you’re unsatisfied with. TLs have absolutely no obligation to you or your opinions on the pronouns of a fictional character

Fed-Kun's army
@IrregularPerson Still I don't see why they don't use "she" while translating. And the "-kun" when they put her nickname. You just said in Japanese they don't have the "s/he" pronouns but in the translation of every manga existing in English it's used meaning the translators decides what pronouns to use depending on what they know of the characters they're talking about. And here she is definitely a girl and it doesn't seems to me like she considers herself as non-binary so there is no reason not to use the "she".
Basically what I mean is that if we follow your reasoning, the pronoun "they" should be used for every character in every manga since the "s/he" is never used in Japanese?

Also I could be wrong but don't they use "he" for Nao even though he is sometime called Nao-chan? Why not using the "they" for him too?

Dex-chan lover
Referring to an individual person with "they" .... it's like some press conference.

Dex-chan lover
@Mivas ...I've had to read the chapter about three times. the time they do choose to use a pronoun to specify Kou, the TL choose to use "they" and at other times they just used "Kou-kun" in context of the sentence (the latter more closely translated to Japanese sentence structure). Nao-chan is also refer to as "he" briefly in this chapter
and TL's choose to use s/he pronouns because if "they" was used for every sentence there is lack of context regardless of language. most other languages lack a proper translation for "I" so context of using ones name or nickname. but every language has feminine and masculine prefixes/suffixes to add. (it adds context to a sentence when you aren't specifying someone but also aren't naming an entire demographic) fan translated TL's are aware of the language they are translating the raw to (sincerely thankful because MTL is excruciatingly painful)
there isn't a need to specifically "know someones (gender)" unless you are intimate or want to actually know them. its the same as saying "my friend" which is gender neutral. intimacy as in you are some how connected to them, and want to know them for example is a business card or a social media profile
"Kou-kun" is probably refer to as "they" in preference that, Nao is now aware that their actually a girl. but also the fact that Nao who introduced Kou, his initial impression/relationship with them is that Kou was a guy.

Double-page supporter
they has been used as a singular third-person pronoun since before fucking twitter.

edit: also pronouns =/= gender, kou can be a cis WOMAN (stop saying female) and still use they/them. who cares.
(and not every language has gendered pronouns lol)

Anyway! aaaa so cute 🥺🥺💖💖💖💖 "it seems i'm not an angel after all" 🥺🥺

Interesting change of pronouns... Also, Nao is denser than his brother... Little bit surprising tbh.

Double-page supporter
Not talking about gender stuff, as it is usually a twitter style landmine (lot of bubbles in the kiddy pool and stuff), but as a non english native it always feel weird to me when I read "they" used for only one person...

Awwwwww, good for Kou! Nao figure it out please. At least he seems like even if he feels jealous he will still support her growth.

This manga always makes me happy.

Fed-Kun's army
@IrregularPerson Like you said, TL's use the pronoun "s/he" because without it there is a lack of context and it make the whole thing less comfortable to read so I don't really understand why they don't use it here since it would make it easier to read.

And when I was speaking of Nao I meant that they could use the same logic and use "they" for him since his nickname is Nao-chan but they don't for some reason. There logic should at least be consistent imo.

Anyway, they translated the chapter an I'm grateful to them for that but I just feel like it would make it more comfortable to read to use "she" since it would allow me not to think about who therme are talking about every time I see the pronoun "they"

Users who are viewing this thread