Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 69

Don't worry, if you guys keep complaining about it I'm sure the TL group will change their minds. Your chances are even better if you do it after the group explicitly asked you to stop.

Dex-chan lover
We need a lot more singular they! Even Shakespeare used they in singular. I think your translation this chapter is appropriate and fits Japanese pronouns and the context well without compromising either. After all, Japanese pronouns usually don't distinguish between gender. Even somewhat-gendered pronouns in Japanese can be stylistic and vary across personalities and eras (boku, watashi, especially the latter in formal use).

It's great having a centuries-old gender neutral pronoun, especially for me as a they/them enby. So it is a bit heartwarming to see you popularize a (very old) usage. I'm clear that Kou-kun identifies as a woman but pronouns are something else entirely.

@Linel to be fair, it’s a very odd translation choice, and them asking us to stop doesn’t make it any less annoying to read.
If I have to translate the chapter’s English myself, I may as well just wait for the Tankoubon and read the Japanese version.
(Edit: Capitalisation)

Aggregator gang
Its so fucking strange reading "they" when they are talking about Kou --' HE ALREADY KNOWS SHE IS A GIRL for fuckers sake...

Dex-chan lover
huh, I'm pretty sure it was "she/her" the first time I read this chapter earlier, and now it's back to "they/them"? I wonder why the change.

very uncomfortable reading someone misgendered a female identified as female... with they/them...

Imagine the misogyny in thinking that because a woman has short hair and dresses in ambiguous clothing that they clearly must not identify as she/her. What, so a woman MUST wear traditional female clothing in order to earn feminine pronouns? You didn't assign "they" to Narumi so why do it to Kou, just because she looks androgynous? What a fucking insult to women everywhere. Starless Night Scans is full of disgusting misogynists. LET WOMEN PRESENT HOW THEY WANT WITHOUT TAKING THEIR FEMININE PRONOUNS AWAY!

I think it's interesting that some people are disregarding the comments asking for she/her pronouns for Kou as rude or negative. Would people still feel the same about the incorrect pronouns being used if it was the opposite?
Maybe if this was still earlier on in the serious where Kou's gender was a mystery then this would be fine, but it's been quite clear for some time now. I fail to understand why there's this reluctance to use she/her given all the information we have. Will you still be adamant on using they/them if Nao and Kou start dating? I'm just curious as to reasoning behind this insistence of they/them.

thanks for translating! while i also find it uncomfortable to read they/them being used for kou, i'll just replace it in my head :]

just saying tho we're grateful for your efforts, but y'all translators need to see and consider our points too. yes kou is a female (sex) that has a tomboyish style and androgynous design (gender expression), but as we've all been reading from the chapters, kou IDENTIFIES as a woman (gender identity) which is what's important here. kou identifies within a gender binary so why use they/them when there's a set of pronouns that fits kou's gender identity as a woman? :\

btw if anyone comes for my OPINIONS please be civilized thank you

also nao and kou are literally my fave couple omgjdfhfhj seeing nao wanting to confess and make the first move when we've been seeing him as someone who catches up late to stuff?? y'all i just can't waittt

They/them is very weird to read. Like she's a girl. I don't get the choice behind it.

Also I wanted to add, there is something utterly despicable and malicious about Starless Night Scans assigning the wrong pronouns to Kou, when in the manga she has literally been mistaken for the wrong gender while she identifies as a woman. Like I said, reeks of both misogyny AND transphobia.

It's irking me they keep using "them" for Kou when she clearly is and identifies as female. Just because there is female who happens to look like a boy and are toyboyish doesn't automatically make her a "them"....
Ya I know sometimes the wording in japanese is ambiguous but still....

They/them doesn't make sense once the gender is known.
These words have a purpose, stop pushing dumb shit with them and just use them like they're meant to.

jo1

why are you continuing to misgender her when she's not nonbinary and it's been stated that she identifies as a woman 😐

@jo1
If you want to complain go get the raws and translate this yourself. I don't completely agree with the they/them pronoun but the translators decided already. Sorry that i sound rude

Dex-chan lover
Do the actual raws use gender-neutral phrases like sono hito or ano hito(あの人) when referring to Kou-kun?

Users who are viewing this thread