Otaku ni Yasashii Gal wa Inai!? - Vol. 13 Ch. 101 - Otaku & Gyaru & Permission to Stay Over

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
6,207
I think the problem is you’re mad because the story shows women wanting to be around a guy who’s not an asshole which means that you’re pretty much fucked, right?

Enjoy your raging envy, I guess.
Stop projecting your school bully mate. No one asked for him to be an asshole, I just asked for him to have any good personality traits and to not be the most boring person possible. The two girls are also very nice but have lots of other traits going for them too while the dude is worthless beyond being genetically "nice" which every normal person is, even every other dude in this manga is nice too. His only personality trait is his nickname, I.e. "Otaku" as if that's worth anything, even for self inserts he's such a garbage character.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
467
dontlikething.png
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Mar 25, 2018
Messages
372
Seems like I hit too close to home for someone, sorry to burst your bubble but no gyaru is ever going to love you 😢
maybe i am just old but the self-insert fantasy of the genre has been dying for a while and the new reiwa romcoms are more shipping couples and relationships now instead of the "guy getting into romantic situations" ala to-love-ru.

the only "popular" one of this type left is arguably rental girlfriend and that is also part ragebait.

point being that the implausibility of their relationship is a kinda not important to the fantasy, how they behave as a couple (or throuple) and as individuals in a relationship (or this case a throupleship). So how they express their love and their willingness to be vulnerable to each other and to grow are the important parts.

so otaku-kun lack of self confindence is not as important as his openess around them and willingness to feel new things. the same for amene and ichiji, they want to share things with him and explore new things with him, even if he is a bit oblivious to it.

its almost like the audience is the friend group watching a couple form so what they want is for the couple to be good match for each other and for that to succeed rather then it being "omg they confessed"
 
Double-page supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
373
I don't think it's so unrealistic they fell for him, when people become so close it tends to be pretty normal.
Other things are unrealistic: for example, the fact Ijichi, with her personality and contact network, never got interested in anyone else before, and the contrived set of circumstances that allow the 3 of them to get so close in the first place...
Every single one is not so weird per se, but all of them together of course are extremely unlikely in real life.
And let's not kid ourselves, one of the main reasons they feel so comfortable with him is he's the only guy who doesn't see them that way; the most unrealistic element of them all, for an etero boy in the middle of puberty.
I think we like fiction because we crave realistic stories with unrealistic circumstances, and this for me is a neat example that fits the bill.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Aug 8, 2018
Messages
2,606
This feels like a milestone chapter showing how much crazy pull Seo has with both girls families and his own parents. There's no way under normal circumstances that both sets of parents (mother and father) would let their daughter stay overnight at a high school boy's house when his parents aren't home.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Aug 8, 2018
Messages
2,606
Yeah I'm gonna keep reading this but God he's so boring. Hot girls wanna stay overnight with him and he's like "I'm putting my foot down! Go home or I might rape you!"
God I read these comment sections and often I find people enjoying a story together and discussing. Other times I question why humanity continues to exist. Why do you have to be so gross about it? The MC didn't even bring up being self conscious about them staying over as girls until after they got permission and it settled in. He told them to go home because they are MINORS and shouldn't stay somewhere overnight by themselves. They convinced Seo by pointing out that he'd be by himself if they left. When they called their parents the primary concern - the only concern brought up - was that if there were an emergency in the night the kids would be in danger without an adult nearby to help them. Trust that Seo wouldn't become a criminal overnight wasn't just implied, it was never questioned by the MC, girls, parents, or the story itself.

I understand comments about the lack of progress or pacing of the story. That's real criticism. What I'll never get is people who read these rom-coms with high schoolers and get ***** when the literal teenagers aren't constantly doing it. Or make everything weirdly sexual. This is thankfully one of the few rom-coms in a high school setting that isn't being overtly sexual with its high school girl main cast. Take it down a notch. The concern was if someone gets injured, a robber breaks into the house, or an earthquake happens overnight. Not if the MC would suddenly go from being someone that isn't even thinking about romance to having sex without consent.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
6,207
God I read these comment sections and often I find people enjoying a story together and discussing. Other times I question why humanity continues to exist. Why do you have to be so gross about it? The MC didn't even bring up being self conscious about them staying over as girls until after they got permission and it settled in. He told them to go home because they are MINORS and shouldn't stay somewhere overnight by themselves. They convinced Seo by pointing out that he'd be by himself if they left. When they called their parents the primary concern - the only concern brought up - was that if there were an emergency in the night the kids would be in danger without an adult nearby to help them. Trust that Seo wouldn't become a criminal overnight wasn't just implied, it was never questioned by the MC, girls, parents, or the story itself.

I understand comments about the lack of progress or pacing of the story. That's real criticism. What I'll never get is people who read these rom-coms with high schoolers and get ***** when the literal teenagers aren't constantly doing it. Or make everything weirdly sexual. This is thankfully one of the few rom-coms in a high school setting that isn't being overtly sexual with its high school girl main cast. Take it down a notch. The concern was if someone gets injured, a robber breaks into the house, or an earthquake happens overnight. Not if the MC would suddenly go from being someone that isn't even thinking about romance to having sex without consent.
Because in Real life teenagers do get sexual, it's not a bad thing for them to be interested in having sex and being completely asexual isn't a positive trait, it's just fake unless you're actually asexual which none of these protagonists ever are.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
298
Kinda late to say this, 101 chapters in, but the Otaku is really unbearable huh? There's no one in the world who could ever fall in love with this worthless dude but I'm supposed to believe that two of the hottest girls are in love with this dude who's short, ugly, dumb, boring and has no charm.
Coming from a loser who will never leave their parents basement that's kinda hilarious... Stay in your lane
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Aug 8, 2024
Messages
76
Kinda late to say this, 101 chapters in, but the Otaku is really unbearable huh? There's no one in the world who could ever fall in love with this worthless dude but I'm supposed to believe that two of the hottest girls are in love with this dude who's short, ugly, dumb, boring and has no charm.
Uh... you do remember that he was attractive enough to be in a magazine photo in that one chapter? Mind you, there was a bit of nepotism on him being hired, but he's atleast average.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Messages
2
I gotta be honest. i haven't found a romcom manga that made me kick my feet this much since kaguya. i CANNOT wait for more to come. I also see no way these nerds not end up in a throuple. Amana and Ichiji are so conscious of each others feelings and are truly rooting for one another, but it feels different than other romances? idk
 
Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2023
Messages
26
Hey, I appreciate the translations of course, but I just have to ask. Is there any way we can get more consistent updates rather than a few chapters every few months? I'm sure there's a reason or reasons for your current release schedule and I don't follow any discords or other updates so I figured I'd just ask.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
593
The two girls are also very nice but have lots of other traits going for them too
Not really, they are just as one note personality and unrealistic as him. This really ain't a realism manga, it's all fluff, that's the point. As far as I'm concerned this is a Sayu waiting room.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
May 19, 2024
Messages
273
Seems like I hit too close to home for someone, sorry to burst your bubble but no gyaru is ever going to love you 😢
NO!! Why are you breaking all our hearts?
First they came for the goth girls,
Then they came for the petite ones,
They even take the loli culture and ruined it,
And now you are saying Gyarus' aren't real?
 
Active member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
23
Because in Real life teenagers do get sexual, it's not a bad thing for them to be interested in having sex and being completely asexual isn't a positive trait, it's just fake unless you're actually asexual which none of these protagonists ever are.
I kinda clock this whenever someone uses "herbivore" as a pejorative as though a predator-prey dynamic is somehow preferable, but you're really starting to tell on yourself a bit.

There's a big difference between timidity, rules-conformity, and a modicum of impulse control leading to passivity versus "fake" asexuality. Takuya quite obviously falls into the former rather than the latter.

Yeah, it's common for some teenagers to get sexual. It's also common for them to not, even while horny. Both intercourse and abstinence are neither intrinsically positive nor negative; it all comes down to the reasons motivating the behavior and the impact on the person behaving this way.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
6,207
I kinda clock this whenever someone uses "herbivore" as a pejorative as though a predator-prey dynamic is somehow preferable, but you're really starting to tell on yourself a bit.

There's a big difference between timidity, rules-conformity, and a modicum of impulse control leading to passivity versus "fake" asexuality. Takuya quite obviously falls into the former rather than the latter.

Yeah, it's common for some teenagers to get sexual. It's also common for them to not, even while horny. Both intercourse and abstinence are neither intrinsically positive nor negative; it all comes down to the reasons motivating the behavior and the impact on the person behaving this way.
Otaku has no personality beyond being a boring Otaku, maybe you see yourself in him but the readers want more.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
6,207
Not really, they are just as one note personality and unrealistic as him. This really ain't a realism manga, it's all fluff, that's the point. As far as I'm concerned this is a Sayu waiting room.
Neither of them are particularly well written, but even they have something going for them, if they're one note then the Otaku has negative notes.
 
Active member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
23
Otaku has no personality beyond being a boring Otaku, maybe you see yourself in him but the readers want more.
"I decided to read a story about an otaku matchup with gyarus, and the otaku is acting like an otaku! :angery:"

It's like you and one other person actually complaining about that here, so I guess that could technically count as "readers," but not really "the readers." And it's not about "seeing myself" in anyone. The point is that there's nothing actually unrealistic about the behavior. The lack of self confidence is unhealthy, but it's both recognized and treated as a problem.

You not personally liking or preferring a character doesn't make them a flawed character.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top