Otaku ni Yasashii Gal wa Inai!? - Vol. 2 Ch. 12 - Otaku & Gyaru & BBQ

Dex-chan lover
It's so interesting because we're all conditioned to throw the word harem around with manga and anime but it would actually be crazy easy for this story to sidestep the meme-y nature of that (in the way that isekais or comedies come up with workarounds and rules for it) and instead just take an earnest crack at a three person polygamous relationship. It already feels so natural. I would really love to see that.

ETA: Just that we have Seo, our sweet boy Seo, even acknowledge "yeah I have gone on dates with both of them and we all purposely used the word date." Like it really feels like they are feeling it out in a pretty organic way.
Like @Chronigan noted as well, "harem" as a descriptor notes multiple love interests for a single male character (technically the same term is accurate for "reverse harem", but a different term is used to differentiate). The world of erotic writing HAS conditioned us all to look at is as something sordid, even if the majority of non-R18 "harem" romance manga (that don't have an open ending mind you) do not end in a harem (or polygamous, if you prefer) relationship. Though since the origins of the term involve concubines, the sexual connotation is inescapable, though that's not often the case. But, its an easier tag than "multiple female/male love interests", even if that would be more accurate in most cases.

Certainly I agree, this story is in a good place for it to occur here, and I would welcome it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Loved this chapter, so fun and cute. It’s always sad when one girl or boy has to lose in love triangles. These happy moments will only lead to further heartbreak

Dex-chan lover
I just want to thank the translator. You've been doing an awesome job, although I have spotted a few spelling mistakes here and there. I also really appreciate the end of chapter notes. They really show the effort you are putting into this as well as you're understanding of the Japanese language and it's subtleties.

Aggregator gang
Man, why is it always Amane who has all these super cute progress man... not like i hate it, i'm ok with it actually... but can we get ijichi to, say, like holds hands with the guy at least

Dex-chan lover
I'll be honest. I hate big bro. I get the overprotective older brother trope and why it exists but its so annoying to see him get in the way and also that Uchiji doesn't say anything about it. Let your little sister live, dude. You're like 30.

Dex-chan lover
Having thought about this more since this chapter came out, a thought occurred to me:

I've never read it, but I do remember reading about how Archie comics did like a big grand finale storyline where they essentially did a series that was like a bunch of double-issues where each segmented/half portion told the story of a different timeline: One where he marries Betty, and one where he marries Veronica. And The final chapter is a unified one where he dies and they very carefully frame everything so that nothing that happens gives away who his wife is within the story so that it can equally apply to both of them

It seems very likely that the author won't do a romantic harem/polygamous relationship ending here and the real ending is probably going to be him declaring that he can't choose between them and them saying that they'll just all keep hanging out together until he can with a "the adventure continues" sort of close.

But what if instead we got a double-length final chapter where 1 half of the chapter is him choosing Amane and the other is him choosing Ichiji and they just make it clear in each path that the un-chosen party doesn't get bitter and depressed because they're all still friends and can still hang out. Then we get a version where each girl "wins" and it doesn't have to be too depressing because if you get sad about one of them being left out then there's always the other story. Just maybe without copying the Archie Dies at the End part.

Dex-chan lover
I hate to say this, but this trio feels much better and much more natural than the oregairu trio, but i feel like this story will enter pain like oregairu 😢

Double-page supporter
I'm uncomfortable with the difference in closeness between Kotoko and Seo vs Amane and Seo. Someone might get the delusion that OUR Kotoko is gonna lose in the end. Of course, she wouldn't but as things stand I'm a bit concerned... for Seo. I'd hate to have to kill him, after all.

Dex-chan lover
I would feel terrible if either of them had their heartbroken, so therefor I propose a solution which would appease everyone. The big brother shall become the next best girl, it must happen to ensure world peace!

Those fangs on Kotoko when she’s embarrassed are adorable, my god.

Users who are viewing this thread