Otome Danshi ni Koisuru Otome - Vol. 5 Ch. 532 - I Can't Breathe

Dex-chan lover
@Shizomist
I was referencing Vol 2 extras(I failed at that) for panel 3. In the conversation, the faculty member of the school doesn't deny they can force him to conform but they try to "appeal" to him first to do it on his own. Japanese schools have dress codes they can enforce onto students. And I believe this also involves hair color as well.

About the hair color thing. For a single hair color society, having a different hair color can be a form of expressing oneself or being part of who they are (this can be true for people with mixed backgrounds). If that society denies this, it is like society is denying the person themselves as well until they conform.

About the latter half, I already understood these points clearly before you tried to explain them. My only point during my first comment was just to point out who spoke what and nothing more.

@hayatekanzaki
In the conversation, the faculty member of the school doesn't deny they can force him to conform but they try to "appeal" to him first to do it on his own. Japanese schools have dress codes they can enforce onto students.
As i said it's weird to call it "to force onto someone". As long as they agreed to the rules they should follow them,which makes stupid calling it "forcing onto" whenever you've already accepted that, if you violate the rule that makes you wrong in of itself, if that is the situation yuuki was in, then i don't get how was that "okay" to try and make him look the one offended.
Here's my point that it was not in the rules(otherwise it wouldn't make sense for that situation) and yet they tell him to change, which is retarded.
Well, anyway, i feel lost in this tangent, so i cut it here.

Double-page supporter
@.Midoriha & @.naeon everyone has problems is a fact, but the manga's context is Japan, and i'm obviously referring to inconsiderate and belittling comments that are basically "well DUH don't listen to them, yuuki!" or "is his problem THAT much of a problem?". never mentioned anyone else specifically? shrug (yes yuuki is fictional but let me use my free speech i guess)

conformity is death or alive in most Asian countries. yuuki and non-conforming Asian people had to endure these since childhood. i didn't want to write a whole thesis in the comments section, geez.

With all the discussion about non-conforming in Asia, let me just put my two cents in: I'm currently a 22-year-old attending a university in Asia, and schools are well within their right to refuse you entrance if you aren't following their dress code. Hair falls within that dress code. Even if it's not directly stated, what the teachers say goes. I have alopecia areata, and although it's improved in recent years, my hair still falls out in clumps from the slightest provocation (running my hands through my hair, shit like that). Due to this, I prefer to shave my head bald to keep messes to a minimum.

I was unable to attend my first week of school until I was able to procure a note from a dermatologist stating that I had a valid reason to go bald, even when the rulebook didn't say anything about going bald - according to the teachers it breaks the rule that disallows "outrageous and bizarre hairstyles". Non-black hair is also a no-no without a copy of your birth certificate stating your hair is such-and-such a color, and they still try to get you to dye it black - and even force you if you aren't active in school events and such (keep in mind these are "optional" non-academic events that you have to pay for even when you don't attend them, they take attendance, and it can still affect your grades depending on your teacher).

One of my classmates was ambushed outside the school gates after his night-time PE class because he's unable to speak the local dialect well, and reverts to English (he was a transfer student from England) when he couldn't properly articulate his thoughts otherwise. He suffered a cracked skull and his parents tried to sue the school but according to them it technically didn't happen on school grounds. They went back to England as soon as he was healthy again. Later one of the teachers openly admitted to encouraging some students of his to scare the kid, and nobody protested about it and even cheered when he started encouraging us to chant "our country, our school, our rules" - in English, ironically enough.

I would post a link to an article, but I don't want to doxx myself since I'm literally the only bald student in this school.

Double-page supporter
the struggles of a mixed race person.
@thrrnvwls
As harsh as that beating would have been I can understand why they did it. Imagine someone coming to your place where such traditions are established and rather than improving they revert back to their mother tongue thinking everybody can speak his mother tongue in the foreign country; along with the fact he went to that school out of his own free will. People shouldn't be mad at it. What a gay teacher though, should've made a friend instead of an enemy.

@ribbitribbitsaga

I should clarify that this is the Philippines and understanding English is a requirement for students to enter college. Well, the college I was in anyway. If you got less than 35 out of 40 on the English section of the entrance exam, that was it for you.

My classmate that got attacked wasn't even using any "advanced" vocabulary.

Double-page supporter
@thrrnvwls
Now with that added context, that whole beating seems lame. The only way I can explain the hostility is that he was getting up in all kinds of sugar walls. I thought Duterte ordered everybody to kill drug dealers or something.

Users who are viewing this thread