Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Items of the Saint

Dex-chan lover
3O80pTC.jpg

Tsun-Luxon
"B-B-Baka Leon-goshujinsama. There's already someone that's always been by your side that loves you and you don't even see them..."

The problem with Leon is that he basically this series version of Kazuma, but Kazuma works because Konosuba is a pure comedy and he surrounded with a group of idiots. Leon on the other hand ia with a duke daughter, a commoner (future saint), and sarcastic A.I. his personality doesn't work with this type of story because it plays it very straight shounen and romance/harem story and there some politcs involved, however this story saving graces is his interaction with the otome game villainess and protagonist. His "Im nothing but a Mob" mentality gets really annoying pretty fast because if he accepted that he is a Mob, he wouldn't get Luxion and would have accepted his fate of getting married with his step mother friend, because other boys in academy hate it too, but they accepted because they have no other choice. His knowledge of the Otome game and his decision to get Luxion
and Marie trying pretending to be the "protagonist " is what causes all this world alteration and he just trying to stick with Otome game script is what bites him in the ass, because the alteration have already been done, things can't go to the original story because of these alterations. Leon needs to understand in the future volume of the LN is that he already the HERO of the story rather than the otome games protagonists, he basically an reluctant protagonist with a sarcastic attitude, dense of his action and his relationship with who he interacts with and low self esteem issues because of his experience of his previous life.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like a minor mistranslation/consistency issue, Leon talks about the 3 items they need and says that they need to get 2 of them on their own (the bracelet + necklace), since the staff would be given to Livia once she's recognized. But then it says "she'll need the other three key items before her power manifests itself", shouldn't it be "other two"? The staff itself is the third so there should only be two other items for her to have.

THE ONLY REASON LIVIA "NEEDS" TO BECOME A SAINT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T USED LUXON TO STEAL THE DAMN FLUTES FROM THE PRINCIPALITY!

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Contributor
So, if I'm reading this right,
Leon maintain his "I'm just a mob" mentality for a very long time after this?

Fed-Kun's army
@justforthelulz - Yes and no.
It's heavily implied that the "I am just a mob" bit is more a statement of "I don't want to get heavily involved so I'll just keep trying to poke and massage things in the right direction from a safe distance so everything will resolve how it do in the game." It's a mix of willful idiot-balling and hopeful fatalism rather than actual self depreciation.
Which is not to say it's a bad story, and some of the criticism in these comments are unfounded. like,
Leon never goes pacifist as Faryshita suggests. He doesn't wantonly murder but he does end up killing. Also partly he just lets people live so he can gloat. Like, he directly cuts a couple faceless mooks in half with Arroganz's axe at one point, but when someone personally offends him he doesn't kill them. He meticulously destroys them, cutting off their support and making them an enemy of their own country and clan before breaking their face in personally. Also Olivia is fine, and is the major contributor to ending the war in the first arc.

Tamult's comment is good and I agree with it.

@zetamanga I agree completely. Thanks for the lengthy post.

For the most part, japanese authors write like how they want to be normal, but also op, but not too op. All three are mutually exclusive, but they dont think that way.

Thus u got adventurer protagonist who worships adventurer guild dick, he has bonus powers that are generally OP from military analysis viewpoints but not the author's. But then they'll still try to insist they are average everyday people, and also insist on taking the weakest quest on the requests board.

I guess blame it on their conformist society and too much games.
The author's brain IQ probably cant think much further ahead than playing a generic jrpg videogame, and that it'd be nice to have some bonuses (cheats) at the start of the game, but outright cheating or skipping quests is somehow incomprehensible.

Also gotta have that japanese-y humility pacfism or whatever to not alienate ur audience, so the MC's gotta act excessively weak, and never commit genocide even if it the world is 99% assholes.

Fed-Kun's army
I mean, I feel you but those are complaints that should be levied at a story where:
A - There's and adventurer's guild or quests. This is a
post apocalyptic world
, and 'adventurer' is used only in the classic sense of someone who goes on adventures, explores ruins and so on.
B - The MC doesn't curb-stomp the crown prince of his own country out of his inheritance,
kill a number of people in a war, and frame a person for treason so hard everyone cheers as Leon breaks their teeth in before their family disappears them to the 'maximum fun chamber'.

I said it in a spoiler below, but Leon doesn't think he's a mob or act like he thinks he's a mob. That's a tongue-in-cheek excuse he throws out when trying to avoid responsibility or involvement. That it backfires enormously is part of the humor of he series. Like when he gets promoted instead of demoted for beating up the prince because
literally the entire point of the marriage/nobility system in this kingdom is to keep assets like him and his on a leash.
. Is it overplayed to the point where it makes the MC look dumb? Kinda. But if you don't mind that and pay enough attention to realize Leon's not actually an idiot it's a decent story.

Dex-chan lover
Marie starting to miss her old family.. if only she wasn't such a biatch of a sister, she might've had a good life with a wise brother.

@bingel919

Essays?

All I see are walls upon walls of text.

Double-page supporter
@Wincha
It's also Leon's Fault later is Explain that Leon Spoiled Marie to much in their previous life, Aslo Marie Side Story in LN Shows that she is a total Brocon over leon

@ZeroEx94
Marie thinks she's so smart, wanting the otome harem but in truth is just after worthless bums with pretty faces.

Later on, she ends up having to feed them while they take turns making her pregnant, she even has to depend on Leon to feed her household. Sigh... this is one messed up story

Users who are viewing this thread