Ougon no Keikenchi - Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
Didn't the Bofuri devs only try to nerf Maple once, then realize her antics were good PR for the game. Since she was cute and wholesome?
They did have the headache of having to reconsider the synergy between skills to avoid someone managed to create another Maple level build.

I feel like the intruduction of seas or the time spent with him is underwhelming in this. He has cool design and stuff

Dex-chan lover
I feel like the intruduction of seas or the time spent with him is underwhelming in this. He has cool design and stuff
Having read the WN, it looks like they changed the sequence of events to first establish Rare's dungeon, before going into Deas' back story. I doubt they will completely skip his part because it will become important later on. Especially during this forest exploration

Aggregator gang
Having read the WN, it looks like they changed the sequence of events to first establish Rare's dungeon, before going into Deas' back story. I doubt they will completely skip his part because it will become important later on.
I keep reading about things being different from the WN. I intended to read the novel from chapter 1 when the wait eventually gets unbearable, but should I consider doing it sooner rather than later?

Dex-chan lover
Bofuri devs: "Maple is getting too strong, we have to nerf her!"
OnK devs: "Rare is getting crazy OP, but it's boosting engagement, let's just see where this takes us?"
Minecraft does the same thing. Half of that game at this point comes from modded content and players using things differently from designs.

Dex-chan lover
I keep reading about things being different from the WN. I intended to read the novel from chapter 1 when the wait eventually gets unbearable, but should I consider doing it sooner rather than later?
IMO either is fine. For the most part the plot is still the same, they either simplified some exposition or shifted when certain event happened.

There is 1 more character that they haven't introduced yet, but she won't become important to the plot until the second event, so it is understandable they skip her part for now.

Aggregator gang
IMO either is fine. For the most part the plot is still the same, they either simplified some exposition or shifted when certain event happened.

There is 1 more character that they haven't introduced yet, but she won't become important to the plot until the second event, so it is understandable they skip her part for now.
I see. I just tend to see too much messing around with the order of events to be a show of poor understanding of fiction writing.
People can see arcs and think they should be self-contained, which is one of the biggest mistakes to be made, especially for exposition. I forgot the exact wording of it, but someone once wrote something whose TLDR is along these lines: if all you ever write about is important to the immediate story, or the story at all, then no single description will escape the reader's attention, and no true surprise will be had, the plot will just be straightforward and predictable, even if you try to twist it. Curiousness is essential to fiction.
Authors tend to not make such mistakes simply by virtue of being experienced, but adaptative writing is another story. It's easy to see someone else's story and think you can make it better. But you never actually understand it as well as the original author. Beyond luck, a major element that plays into the success of these original stories is the creative decisions taken by the original author, no one whose job is adaptative writing actually has that talent. They can be more skilled, from an objective standpoint, and they can even have heaps of knowledge, but in the end, it all comes down to a perfect balance.
So yeah, when I hear events were switched around, characters were not introduced, exposition was simplified, I just see red flags from an overconfident writer. It's of course a completely different matter when the original author truly has a hand in the modifications, like One does with Murata for One Punch Man.

Dex-chan lover
I see. I just tend to see too much messing around with the order of events to be a show of poor understanding of fiction writing.
People can see arcs and think they should be self-contained, which is one of the biggest mistakes to be made, especially for exposition. I forgot the exact wording of it, but someone once wrote something whose TLDR is along these lines: if all you ever write about is important to the immediate story, or the story at all, then no single description will escape the reader's attention, and no true surprise will be had, the plot will just be straightforward and predictable, even if you try to twist it. Curiousness is essential to fiction.
Authors tend to not make such mistakes simply by virtue of being experienced, but adaptative writing is another story. It's easy to see someone else's story and think you can make it better. But you never actually understand it as well as the original author. Beyond luck, a major element that plays into the success of these original stories is the creative decisions taken by the original author, no one whose job is adaptative writing actually has that talent. They can be more skilled, from an objective standpoint, and they can even have heaps of knowledge, but in the end, it all comes down to a perfect balance.
So yeah, when I hear events were switched around, characters were not introduced, exposition was simplified, I just see red flags from an overconfident writer. It's of course a completely different matter when the original author truly has a hand in the modifications, like One does with Murata for One Punch Man.
That is understandable, and I have seen many such cases. A comment in one of the previous chapters mentioned some change in the order of events are also made in the LN (which I didn't read) and the manga is following the LN.

Personally I do feel the manga has less world building elements than the WN, as the author do love to elaborate on the world or game mechanics. It could be the difference in media format, so the manga had to reduce it, but I do enjoy that aspect of the WN.

Users who are viewing this thread