Ougon no Keikenchi - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
I've read the translated WN to where it is current.

It's certainly a fascinating read. Mechanics are a bit cut-throat, as you can imagine these catgirls would have been killed for "Experience" if not for the happy accident.

I actually think it shows how sociopathic the in-universe players are. Create strong-AI which passes Turing Test -- only to brutally kill them "because it's just a game, bro".

That's the main thing that bugged me about reading it.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for your amazing work as always N Scans!

This has been such a great find, can't wait to see more of this manga and I'm really hoping that it's not just going to be an advertisement for the LN or something..

Dex-chan lover
Great concept of game manga. But like the previous comment stated, it can turn into merciless tragedy tag, unless of course there's a resurrection or respawn, just don't make their resurrection like Baldur's gate who was aware of their own resurrection.

Dex-chan lover
Please dont make that guy a future love interest… We dont need romance in this series

Dex-chan lover
unless of course there's a resurrection or respawn

The in-game NPCs don't respawn. Once they're gone, they're gone.
Lore is permanent, changes are forever. The game master-AI even tracks "changelogs" automatically.

Footnote: "CL" is my own abbreviation of it, using real-world computer terms. Not from story.
I'm being intentionally vague. There's some plot that follows this, so I won't spoil further.

I wouldn't call it [Tragedy], so much as "Her Majesty's Swarm"-like.
The author (thankfully?) does offscreen the worst of it, if it's potentially triggering.
But it doesn't mean it never happened, or didn't exist. That's my rub.
There's a lot of potentially fridge-logic nightmare-fuel, although the novel completely skips it.

One part of the WN intro (talking about it since Manga skips) is players can play as monsters.
And they can even play as goblins, spawning in the outlands. And players respawn where they spawned/set their base.
Even as "human female" race -- weirdos can choose to spawn in outlands. And potentially get... "entrapped" by in-game monsters.
WN has a worldbuilding line about how "thin-book developments could happen to players; but Studio would say 'its impossible'.".

Obviously, this is a PG-13 Christian novel/manga, so that doesn't happen.
But the fact it's a part of the mechanics (and completely glossed over) is a bit chilling to me.
But then again, I read stories like this for the mechanics/slow burn of worldbuilding. (And the catgirls.)

"The only difference between players and NPCs is seeing the system messages."

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Nah bro, as far as the WN goes he gets folded like an omelet everytime he meets Rare
Oh boy I just caught up with the WN, Wayne just can't catch a break. Even when he didn't meet Rare, he either still gets rekt or suffers the consequences of Rare's action. My favourite is he keep losing his spawn points no matter where he respawned.

Group Leader
Ah yes the Japanese sentimentality of the friend code. Tech so advanced that AI NPCs make you fear Skynet but let's still use friend codes that were outdated when the Switch came out.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

Typos & edit suggestions:
  • p20 add me in your friend's list -> add me to your friends list
  • p21 how do you add someone in your friend's list? -> how do you add someone to your friends list?
  • p24 Why she's using formal speech? -> Why is she using formal speech?
  • p24 I can get all the experience points they earned for myself! -> I can get all the experience points they earn for myself! [I'm unsure about this suggestion. Does Subordinate transfer a character's existing XP, or just their newly earned XP? I assumed it was just the latter.]
  • p26 and save up experience point. -> and save up experience points.
  • p29 She was working alone too... -> She was working alone, too...
  • p29 Two men are better than one. -> Two people are better than one. [From context, it seems like the bartender is suggesting that Wayne team up with the beastfolk girl.]
  • 31 Or should I say, is not something an NPC would do? -> Or should I say, it's not something an NPC would do?

Users who are viewing this thread