Our Son Is Probably Gay - Vol. 2 Ch. 35 - Reason

Contributor
Considering he got into math cause he liked his teacher, following his crushes around might suit him better than finding what he's specifically passionate about. Which is apparently anything, as long as he likes someone. He's gonna become a polymath if this keeps happening

Dex-chan lover
umh feels like bad advice, chossing randomly to follow a crush is a bad idea

Dex-chan lover
I was thinking it was bad advice until she said about her son finding something he might like from the classes. That does happen a lot. We get into something from an influence like anime or someone until we find out that we weren't into it or not.

Dex-chan lover
I know this is really sweet and all, but I can't help but to think...

not_gay.jpg

ugh yeah this is awful advice this time. It's convenient that Hiroki happens to be awful at sciences now but you should never make a decision based on someone else. If that person stops associating with you you're fucked. You're actually fucked. Sometimes it works out by sheer coincidence and you find something else to rely on along the way but for an unknowing high school student? Hah. Good fucking luck

dad was actually right this time... 😳 choosing your future based on "sticking with your best friend makes every day fun" is soooo not the way to go

Dex-chan lover
To be fair to Hiroki and his mom, I think asking a high school student to make a decision that supposedly affects the rest of their lives is unreasonable in the first place. If you had asked me back in high school to choose between STEM and humanities, I'd have probably picked humanities, even though I'm in STEM now. Deciding factors for me were things like what teachers I preferred, what courses my school offered, etc. None of those things would matter in the long term once I went to college, so they'd be bad reasons to decide too. I guess in Japan, their education system is oriented so that this decision does matter and you're expected to be able to decide for yourself what is best for you by then, but high school me certainly couldn't do that.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, yeah, picking a career path based on what your friend or crush is doing is bad, but really, expecting hormonal teenagers to know what they'll find fulfilling as a career and where their talents lie is a fool's game anyway. What else is he supposed to go on? His non-existent life experience? Classes that teach to tests instead of the practical realities of working life? He's not going to have a good answer no matter how much he "seriously thinks" about it, because he doesn't have the tools to begin with.

He did say he thought about it and actually wants to go into the humanities. But yeah if neither really piqued his interest it'd be fine to consider "my friend is there too" as a reason (as long as it's not the only one). I also agree with Zephyr and spurgleburgle here

Double-page supporter
I'm sorry to say that Hiroki needs serious counseling, and maybe some therapy to learn to control his feelings. He seems like he's kind of codependent.

he said science got hard in high school, so he doesn't want to pursue it. some comments are overreacting a bit. getting to hang with his crush is just a bonus.

@tailor31415

I agree that some people are overacting. Wanting to be with your friend (crush) is perfectly normal behavior for someone his age. Plus the mom clearly said that his science score was low. His dad just didn’t know that because he works away from home all the time.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, no you never make this decision dependent on where your friend/partner is going.

Double-page supporter
His face in the last panel looks a bit introspective. Is he finally sussing out that his mum knows?

Contributor
Picking your future path primarily based on where your friends go is bad. Taking it into consideration as one of many factors is good. Gotta take your happiness into consideration as well, after all.

Dex-chan lover
It's not that bad. It's not like he's really talented or interested in anything in particular. Going for a different track will likely just put him in the same place of uncertainty with his current mindset.

His mom's advice would only be so terrible if he did indeed choose Daigo's track in favor of one he was far more suited for.

Users who are viewing this thread