Oversimplified SCP - Ch. 120 - SCP-4000

Dex-chan lover
@lovolo It's basically an enchanted fairy forest. Names have power in stories about fae, which is why it never gives anything a proper name. mister_nobody sums it up very well in his comment.

Check out the Exploring Series video about this SCP, as well as the SCP declassified file. It will provide more details. And read the original article as well.

I don't think the author of the comic fully understood this scp. Pity, this one is of my favorites.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter is pretty disappointing compared to the actually incredible SCP article

Double-page supporter
@Poisondilu To be fair, it's quite the complex SCP that requires knowing The Factory, This unnamed anomaly, and possibly the declassification of said SCP to fully understand its properties.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Scrwd This is what I got. belief/identity powered entities got wrecked by humies and now, the nameless survivors that are contained by not being identified, are trying to escape by switiching identities with those who make the error of powering them by naming them
Is this right or did I miss the mark?

Dex-chan lover
and here i thought it's just alice in wonderland shenanigans

edit: just back from reading the wiki
dang, man, really like the subtlety the writers used there
on the breach part, the named subject part describing the native entity instead of, you know, the human subject that goes through the experiment is a clever clue
while agent Desk Desk dying in his harveys manfield escaped me the first time through, the student complaining about excess flesh in her head doesn't though
like, of course she'd feel weird with all those flesh if she spends god knows how long with a bare, unfleshed, skeletal rams head

Double-page supporter
@reu close. Said entities are not locked away/contained, but chose to live in the forest to escape from humans. In exchange to hide there, they all loose their name. The moment they get a name from a human, or when a human accept a name they give, they will switch place with said name to escape the forest and infiltrate the human world again.
Remember that the noun can be anything that is used to identify said entity. For example, one guy got wrecked because he said "mercy mercy, mercy!" because he repeated that more than once, and the doctor doing the interview got switched because he accepted the name: "fellow researcher"

Dex-chan lover
To be fair it is fucking impossible to distill this particular SCP. Any attempt to abridge it takes away a critical detail. It's just that dense.

"A spiral staircase" "A rhinocerous beetle"

So the way to that forest is also the way to heaven?

Dex-chan lover
I love this SCP

To quote my main man Sir Terry Pratchett:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

To all the people talking about how this chapter doesn't "fully grasp" this SCP... this series is literally called Oversimplified SCP. It's not supposed to be a fully comprehensive overview of an SCP it's just the general idea crammed into a short and sweet illustrated chapter. Doesn't always work, this chapter being an example, but I still commend the author for attempting to make a chapter for this apparently complicated SCP. If anything I think it will make more people interested in the actual article, I know I'm gonna read it.

Users who are viewing this thread