Parallel Paradise - Vol. 11 Ch. 103 - The Man Is My Sword

Group Leader
@mhaL7 the issue is that you're rushing things out. Had you taken the time to put in a bit more effort like what you did for the typesetting for this chapter, it would turn out at least twice better. It's not that difficult to learn how to clean and redraw, especially when you have Photoshop. Even with just Photopea, you can still manage. Others and I have already given you advice on the use of raws, and I'm glad you took them for this chapter, but you still have a long way to go. As long as you are willing to learn, you should be well on your way to improving, but you must accept that criticisms will continue to come your way. Try joining the Scanlator School Discord, there are many there looking for work translating, cleaning, redrawing, etc. that you can recruit for free. It's also a good place to ask questions and learn about all the different areas of scanlating.

Dex-chan lover
@mhaL7 I did a quick and dirty translation of Toumei Ningen Kyoutei, so I know that feel. Mangadex is the essence of digital democritization... anyone can contribute and people can either use it or not. If they don't want to read it nothing is stopping them from not clicking. Just do what you're going to do, the rest is just noise.

Dex-chan lover
@mhaL7 hey nice job using better quality source, keep it up. Maybe consider using another font. Try CC Wildwords font, it's very common among scanlators, clean and easy to read, compared to the current one you're using.

Dex-chan lover
I just want to add my 2 cents. Said cents being pretty much copy pasted over the years because someone always snipes someone, and my thoughts are always the same.

I really understand both sides. I've been on both sides in the past, as a former scanlator. One is a new group or solo translator who sniped a series because they were slow/delayed/whatever. The other is a group who's worked on the series for a very long time, and feels they got something stolen from them.

We're all happy when a new chapter comes out, regardless who puts in the work. And yes, it's a grey area non-licensed work anyway, so nobody has the right to dictate who should or should not work on a series. It's a free internet. I don't think I need to cover this much, everyone knows this side of the story.

But speaking about Hyakuro's side, I think some things need to be highlighted. You can't blame them for being at least slightly angry. They're not just working hard to get the current chapters, out they worked hard to get them out in the past. It's hard enough doing it once or twice, to a quality level few people actually appreciate. It's even harder to keep doing it, for dozens or a hundred chapters. And there's a lot of other things they could be spending their time on if someone else is already working on a series.

What is sniped isn't really the 'right' to scanlate a series, it's unlicensed. It's the motivation. And it's especially demoralizing if the work isn't as good as yours, particularly if it's by a large margin. That forces you to make the unpleasant choice between giving up the series and accepting a lower quality version, done by someone of unknown motivation (because he could drop it too, and frankly, most first time scanlators drop series really fast), and working on it anyway where people don't really need it, since the truth is the vast majority of people won't even be able to tell or not care if the quality of the scan or translation is good or not.

That just could have been solved if snipers bothered to communicate with the original group. Even if to just say "I'm doing this until you get back on track" or "I'm taking this up whether you continue or not". It doesn't really matter, what's important is that a dialogue is established. When that happens, people won't be working out of unknown factors. If the group is stuck up and refuses to talk, or declares that they "own" it, then fine I can understand. Do what you want.

But otherwise, honestly, I don't get why it's so hard to reach out. It doesn't cost much to be nice, and it's not surprising to see people react badly if they get taken by surprise.

I'm not really saying anyone is wrong, since nobody owns the series. But there are things that maybe we can do to make a better community anyway.

Group Leader
Thanks for your input but this a grey area & I was unaware one had to ask for permission whenever Scanlations are illegal.

I was unaware of sniping which some people have said it’s a stupid thing because if they owned it they should have licensed it.

Regarding on Hyakuro side I did reach out to them but this was after I had already uploaded one chapter . They basically told me I should work on another series. Many have told me I should work on a dropped series . But here’s the thing I’m not translating from the original source but from a Spanish Translation.

Many people don’t care if someone else picks up another groups slack due to x,y and z reasons. I’m not a group and am working solo at the moment. I know some people are grateful but there’s also many which are upset/angry/ irritated that my translation isn’t as good as HT .

@DLRevan

Dex-chan lover
@mhaL7 As I said sniping isn't about who owns it. I think it's common courtesy to ask someone if they can come into their space, even if you have no idea what the "local" standards are. In no country in the world would I simply sit down next to someone on a 2-seat bench without asking first if the spot's taken. Yet there's no law requiring me to do so, and it's "stupid" in that same sense, if someone was uncomfortable with the idea, well, too bad they don't own it. Yet it's still not very nice. You're still basically asking them to make an uncomfortable choice...leave or stay, both being unpalatable to some degree for their own reasons.

I am only expressing what I feel are the incumbent group's point of view, usually, in these cases. What you or other scanlators do is ultimately no business of mine and no skin off my back. In fact I was just speaking in general, in response to the conflicting opinions in the comments. If I were to address you directly, I would simply add that people are human, so take a moment to understand how they feel. That doesn't mean stop working on it...you are really free to do whatever you want. However, don't get uppity or defensive and think groups respond this way because they are arrogant and/or greedy. It's precisely because it's free work, even technically illegal, on both sides, that factors affecting motivation matter so much.

I understand what you're thinking because I've been where you are, sniping a series and questioning why is it even called such a thing, "sniping", nobody involved owns it. I questioned why people even have the gall to attack me for not being as good as the original group, they're all leeching anyway. If I felt and knew what I do now, I still would have done the series....but I would have tried to build more bridges or be more understanding.

As for positive vs negative criticism. I valued the 'negative' criticism more in the end over the years. Ultimately, people who had harsh words were more passionate and more on the money with their criticism. Remember you don't own the series and in fact don't even own your own scanlation anyway. People are free to criticise how they want, rather than only accepting "postive ones", you might as well suck it up, and benefit from it.

@mhaL7

Since you have failed to respond to my message I will take it here. When you talked to HT you said according to one HT member "told me that he won’t stop and would do what he likes and “goodbye”". You said that to them. Not me. Now you are saying that they told you to work on another series which I believe you on that. But you and HT need to talk more bro before this issue turns into something you cannot reverse. Now I want you to help HT because I'm sure that they might need it which is why I want you to negotiate with them and probably work with them. Perhaps you could help them. I get the frustrations but you gotta learn things bro. They can help you and you can help them. It's a win-win situation. So I reiterate my offer.

Dex-chan lover
She kinda slightly deserved page 16 ... just a smidge. Only because she was such an ass-hat to the guy who just saved the lives of the entire city and saved HER (life in particular) last night.

Now we say Professional D but once he touches her it will be hella personal D. That pride will fly out of the window ... with all the juices.

Users who are viewing this thread