People changing content rating or adding false content tags?

Dex-chan lover
Is it possible to do anything about people changing to the wrong content rating deliberately or adding false content tags? This just happened to Peep in the popular new titles list. It’s shameful that people abuse these settings for their own interest. I think people abusing their editing powers like this should have their rights revoked.

Edit: good that it was changed back, but really you should do something about those that abuse their powers like that.

Last edited:
Solution
I looked at PEEP and there's a depiction of rape in the first chapter followed by the MC getting pissed on, so the current erotica and sexual violence tags seem justified.

EDIT: The fourth chapter also contains a nonconsensual handjob, which further justifies the tagging.
Contributor
To address this "Democracy" phrase that keeps getting thrown around...
Mangadex is not a "Democracy". Never was and most likely never will be. Pretty much all sites on the Internet are not a "democracy". If we wanted to assign a type of government I would say Mangadex is an "autocratic meritocracy". Those at the highest levels are few and have the most power and you can move "up" by contributing in meaningful ways and being trustworthy to follow site rules and guidelines.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:
Yes. Peep has been out since one month ago, but you don't know that, right?
There is way more content and users than there are moderators. It is simply impossible for mods to be on top of everything all the time, which is why almost everyone has access to "report" buttons scattered all around the site to be able to alert moderators of things that might be a potential issue. So, its totally reasonable to expect things to not go noticed until it is directly brought to their attention.

Dex-chan lover
To address this "Democracy" phrase that keeps getting thrown around...
Mangadex is not a "Democracy". Never was and most likely never will be. Pretty much all sites on the Internet are not a "democracy". If we wanted to assign a type of government I would say Mangadex is an "autocratic meritocracy". Those at the highest levels are few and have the most power and you can move "up" by contributing in meaningful ways and being trustworthy to follow site rules and guidelines.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:

There is way more content and users than there are moderators. It is simply impossible for mods to be on top of everything all the time, which is why almost everyone has access to "report" buttons scattered all around the site to be able to alert moderators of things that might be a potential issue. So, its totally reasonable to expect things to not go noticed until it is directly brought to their attention.
Might as well call this place MangaX, because this is a muskocracy at this rate.

Power Uploader
I understand you've already committed a lot on this imaginary tag issue about a rape and golden shower based mango, that Brave "Karen" Dude8 will never be your friend and that with your title edit permissions removed, consequences will never be the same. But if you can, just for a moment, close your eyes, suppress the scannism deep inside of you around which everything in your life revolves and drop the whole thing, you will realize that it's not worth being so shitter shattered over and that nobody actually gives a fuck. Not even you. 🫃

Since we're here, why is Filter-goshi no Kanojo listed as erotica? Reading through it, I've struggled to see anything that counts as erotica. Suggestive, sure, but the erotica tag confuses me there.

Dex-chan lover
Since we're here, why is Filter-goshi no Kanojo listed as erotica? Reading through it, I've struggled to see anything that counts as erotica. Suggestive, sure, but the erotica tag confuses me there.
There's a lot of people that put on higher content rating on stuff they don't like. This in turn makes it less visible on aggregators that scrape manga, and a lot of them usually need logins like comick. So it's likely that it's some moralizing prick out to hurt stuff he doesn't like.
You'll notice that a lot, and I mean a lot of manga have a higher content rating that they should on mangadex.

Power Uploader
There's a lot of people that put on higher content rating on stuff they don't like. This in turn makes it less visible on aggregators that scrape manga, and a lot of them usually need logins like comick. So it's likely that it's some moralizing prick out to hurt stuff he doesn't like.
You'll notice that a lot, and I mean a lot of manga have a higher content rating that they should on mangadex.
db7.jpg

Contributor
Is your argument that the only reason why people were putting the Erotica and Sexual Violence tags on Peep was because they disliked the content?

Contributor
Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, "maybe it's wrong and the mods just don't know about it?". As previously stated there are "report" buttons for most things in the site. As long as you are reporting something in good faith (i.e. have a legitimate reason, not trolling, not spamming reports because a mod disagrees with you, etc.) there is no punishment for "being wrong".

I have not read those titles or even looked at them so I didn't have an opinion, but if based on site guidelines and rules you think they should be rated differently report them and provide a legitimate reason.

Example:
"this title needs to be marked as erotica because on page 4 of chapter 5 it clearly shows two people having sex"

Dex-chan lover
I think so, yes.
Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, "maybe it's wrong and the mods just don't know about it?". As previously stated there are "report" buttons for most things in the site. As long as you are reporting something in good faith (i.e. have a legitimate reason, not trolling, not spamming reports because a mod disagrees with you, etc.) there is no punishment for "being wrong".

I have not read those titles or even looked at them so I didn't have an opinion, but if based on site guidelines and rules you think they should be rated differently report them and provide a legitimate reason.

Example:
"this title needs to be marked as erotica because on page 4 of chapter 5 it clearly shows two people having sex"
I've more or less stopped reporting stuff because everything I report gets refused, so there's no point.

Power Uploader
Reporting a title for incorrect information still stands, but make sure to read the website rules first and make sure to provide a detailed report with sources.

If your report was accepted but the incorrect information is back, you can repeat the report and mention that it was added back. It'll be corrected again and likely edit locked (only mods will have the edit rights).

If your report was rejected, it was most likely deemed incorrect, and you can ask here or on Discord why.

In this case, the tags are correct, removing these tags is vandalism (just like it would be adding them if they shouldn't be there) and it can get your title edit permissions revoked (for the whole site, can't do it for one).

Dex-chan lover
Reporting a title for incorrect information still stands, but make sure to read the website rules first and make sure to provide a detailed report with sources.

If your report was accepted but the incorrect information is back, you can repeat the report and mention that it was added back. It'll be corrected again and likely edit locked (only mods will have the edit rights).

If your report was rejected, it was most likely deemed incorrect, and you can ask here or on Discord why.

In this case, the tags are correct, removing these tags is vandalism (just like it would be adding them if they shouldn't be there) and it can get your title edit permissions revoked (for the whole site, can't do it for one).
I haven't got, or choose not to have I guess, editing permissions, so there's not anything I can do about it. I think the decision is strict, but there's not much I can do about that. The visibility, popularity, and hype of a manga decreases a lot because of high content rating, so I really think it's really harmful that you choose to ruin it for them like this, but alas again there's nothing I can do about it.

Contributor
I haven't got, or choose not to have I guess, editing permissions, so there's not anything I can do about it. I think the decision is strict, but there's not much I can do about that. The visibility, popularity, and hype of a manga decreases a lot because of high content rating, so I really think it's really harmful that you choose to ruin it for them like this, but alas again there's nothing I can do about it.
Peep is published in an adult magazine with gravure models posing erotically. They chose the limit themselves.

Staff
Super Moderator
I just care that this should be done in a public vote, and not behind closed doors in the blink of an eye.
Like I said, make it clear and public, and it's all right.
There was no official statement about the tag's situation at that time.
First of all, the users that create a title or upload chapters for one do not "own" the title, so there is no system in place to notify anyone.
I think what you want is a public edit log. This has already been discussed a few days ago.
https://forums.mangadex.org/threads...c-not-currently-planned.1803667/post-22055806
tldr; You're not the first (or the last) to request this feature. MangaDex is not a database site, so the focus is to work on other features first.

This has been a requested feature by contributors (me included! before I became a mod) for a long time.
However, no matter how much you want it, it's currently just not as important as other features. While it is a sad truth, MangaDex is (currently and for the foreseeable future) not a database site. The main priority is on hosting scanlations and providing manga info is just a side effect of creating a good user friendly manga site.
While not optimal, the site runs just fine the way it currently is, so devs are working on other important features. And if there really is someone that is griefing data, we can always find out who that is.

The truth is that the majority of conflicts between users that have edit perms are not malicious, so most of these can be solved by preventing edits. So just by locking the title.
And the few edits that are malicious can be reverted and banned.

Aggregators blindly copying data and putting it on their website without checking any of it really shouldn't be a concern for MangaDex.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I think so, yes.

I've more or less stopped reporting stuff because everything I report gets refused, so there's no point.
Two of your reports are complaining that someone is asking for donations (which isn't against the rules), one of them is complaining about follower count manipulation (for which you offered no evidence) and one of them is saying that a series with entire chapters devoted to naked women with big tits shouldn't be rated erotica.

The first three reports are objectively bad, and the fourth report is objectively wrong.

Still it's how it works, and not taking it into consideration is a disservice to the manga.
Not tagging works correctly is a disservice to the manga, as is allowing pages to be vandalised and readers to be misread to drive views to a certain manga under false pretences.

Users who are viewing this thread