People changing content rating or adding false content tags?

Dex-chan lover
Is it possible to do anything about people changing to the wrong content rating deliberately or adding false content tags? This just happened to Peep in the popular new titles list. It’s shameful that people abuse these settings for their own interest. I think people abusing their editing powers like this should have their rights revoked.

Edit: good that it was changed back, but really you should do something about those that abuse their powers like that.

Last edited:
Solution
I looked at PEEP and there's a depiction of rape in the first chapter followed by the MC getting pissed on, so the current erotica and sexual violence tags seem justified.

EDIT: The fourth chapter also contains a nonconsensual handjob, which further justifies the tagging.
Power Uploader
I haven't got, or choose not to have I guess, editing permissions, so there's not anything I can do about it.
Reporting does not require title editing permissions.
I think the decision is strict, but there's not much I can do about that.
Yes, rules are meant to be followed and mods have the final say.
The visibility, popularity, and hype of a manga decreases a lot because of high content rating, so I really think it's really harmful that you choose to ruin it for them like this, but alas again there's nothing I can do about it.
Visibility, popularity, and hype have nothing to do with adding correct information enforced by the site rules. If that is the consequence, then it'll continue to be. Just by creating a higher rated work, you are limiting its audience.

As for the aggregators, MangaDex has nothing to do with managing other websites. That's their decision to make.

Staff
Super Moderator
Still it's how it works, and not taking it into consideration is a disservice to the manga.
A sad reality, but still not our problem.
There really is just one answer to this. And it's that third-party sites should obviously have no influence on the enforcement of rules or style guides.

In case you still disagree: they shouldn't be using that data anyways. It's clearly stated in the api terms that it should only be used for non-profit projects. Now check how many aggregator sites have ads.
8a555e86e29c034530eaa3b38387f6bd.jpg

Dex-chan lover
A sad reality, but still not our problem.
There really is just one answer to this. And it's that third-party sites should obviously have no influence on the enforcement of rules or style guides.

In case you still disagree: they shouldn't be using that data anyways. It's clearly stated in the api terms that it should only be used for non-profit projects. Now check how many aggregators sites have ads.
View attachment 4627
Can't say I really like that people use aggregators with ads, which I think is worse than donations (which yes, I have reported because I can't stand it) and paywalls, but still a lot of people don't have access to mangadex since it's banned in several countries and have no choice.

Dex-chan lover
View attachment 4597

You aren't banned from posting chapters because this has nothing to do with posting chapters; you're banned from editing manga because you've abused your ability to edit manga. The manga being locked at these tags isn't a punishment, it's stopping people from incorrectly labelling it; it's fortunate that the manga was already locked, otherwise your credits page would have resulted in many people vandalising the page.

Your edit rights were removed because you've stated multiple times that you believe the accuracy of tags is less important than having more people see a manga. You can't be trusted to edit anything, not just this title, if your attitude towards accurate data is this cavalier.

This title starts with a depiction of rape, is immediately followed by the MC getting pissed on, and then spends half a chapter focusing on a girl's naked crotch. You said "Surely seems justified when you see what you want to see, when you don't know the author's background, and don't read any other chapter." and I still don't understand what you mean; how does the background of the author, or "seeing what i want to see" make this not erotica? Tags aren't modified based on external factors like wanting it to show up on the front page or the tastes of the author, they're based on what's depicted in the work. I opened chapter 4 and saw the MC getting jerked off while saying "stop", so it looks like it's continuing to earn both tags.
Absolutely.

The most important factor is the accuracy in representing the actual content. Not "getting more people to see it".

Otherwise people would mark every title with EVERY TAG. lol. Maximum views baby!!!! 😎🤣

Staff
Super Moderator
Can't say I really like that people use aggregators with ads, which I think is worse than donations (which yes, I have reported because I can't stand it) and paywalls, but still a lot of people don't have access to mangadex since it's banned in several countries and have no choice.
Which still shouldn't be a concern.
It's not MangaDex's fault that third-party sites blindly copy data and use it for their own site without having someone check it or a system in place to correct it.
They chose to use md's data that obviously follows md's rules and style guides, which they often do because they want to run aggregator sites with the least amount of effort.

Dex-chan lover
Which still shouldn't be a concern.
It's not MangaDex's fault that third-party sites blindly copy data and use it for their own site without having someone check it or a system in place to correct it.
They chose to use md's data that obviously follows md's rules and style guides, which they often do because they want to run aggregators sites with the least amount of effort.
Right!?

Otherwise other sites will end up dictating Mangadex's policies de facto.

Last edited:
Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Otherwise people would mark every title with EVERY TAG. lol. Maximum views baby!!!! 😎🤣
This is why the Test manga has no tags btw. It used to have pretty much all tags, but that resulted in contaminating every search result since it would aways show up regardless of what tags you searched, since it had all of them. So now it is tagless, and it is not allowed to add any to it.

Proper tagging is very important.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Just want to quickly add that I don't understand what was meant with this decision being made "behind closed doors". The rules are open to view. If it needs clarification, then yes, depictions of rape (even if fictional within the story) and naked crotches will highly likely require at least an erotica tag.

Why this requirement? I'd hope people advocating for removing the erotica tag understand they're asking us to risk a sizable portion of our users to not being able to access the site at all. We'd really like to avoid getting blocked AGAIN in an entire country like the last time we had questionable content freely available on the frontpage. We're not going to bend the rules just so this one particular entry gets special treatment.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the sexual violence tag isn't even disqualifying for the frontpage anyway, so I really don't know why there's any handwringing about that one in particular.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread