Petition to remove ecchi tag from 5-Toubon no Hanayome (non-spoiler)

Petition to remove ecchi tag from 5-Toubon no Hanayome (non-spoiler)

• Yes, remove ecchi tag.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • [No response text]

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No, keep ecchi tag.

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TL;DR
Most of what I am about to say is a refinement of what I already said. @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN, jump straight to "Cutting all ties" for a reply arguing away at should fanservice affect the genre.
In "The death of plot", I argue that plot elements are not part of the genre. However, setting and mood elements are.
In "Cutting all ties", I argue that the "setting and mood" elements do not have to affect the plot in order to be part of the genre. I balence this argument off of the popular belief that not all manga(nor stories) have a plot, and the belief that these plot-less manga should still have a genre.
In "What remains?" I leave the question of how much of these "setting and mood" elements are needed before we give a genre tag unanswered due to the much more explicitly subjective nature of the question.

@Hoanghoiham
You honestly didn't say which side you were voting for (is or is not part of the ecchi genre, assuming you are going for is not), but it seems like you did agree with everyone here that the ecchi presented here is not part of the plot (aka. fanservice).

Under the assumption that you are my enemy (I am paranoid), I will now argue that "Artistic style" also contributes to the genre. Sure, it doesn't directly change the plot, but if this were a LN or narration, they would have added in a bunch of alluring and seductive words to describe the scene just the same. In other words, although it is not part of the plot, it is part of the story.

As you claimed, a story element(weather it be fanservice, background, conversations, etc) with no ties to the plot is easily replaceable by something else or removed altogether. But it is there and it does affect the story.
Plot is unaffected by it. Granted. However, a story is made of many elements, and plot is just one of them.

The death of plot​

Fanservice scenes are part of the imagery (both in written and drawn works). And imagery may affect the mood and setting of the story.
Genres are a form of categorization based off of common elements of stories. These elements come from the plot, no... wait a moment.... setting and mood.
When you think of fantasy, are you imagining a plot or a setting? Unless you have a wildly different idea of what fantasy is, your imagining a setting. Horror is a genre based off of the mood. There may be common plots for a given genre, but there are no direct ties to the plot from it. A story may use a completely unique plot without loosing the genre it received from the setting/mood used. (also, if plots were directly tied to genre, then the genre tag itself would be a spoiler. We can often infer the plot from the genres, but the author can still surprise us. The World God Only Knows, a member of the harem genre, is a good example of this)

In short, plot is something that should be different from story to story. Even if there are common plot elements for a genre, you cannot conclude that any of those plot elements will be their from the genre alone.

This conclusion above is step 1 of my evil plan to remove the very idea that plot is necessary for a genre, and thus permitting fan-service to affect the genre. Pretty convening right. But @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN doesn't go down easily. The ringleader of debates playing the devils advocate with plans to take over the worldforum

Cutting all ties​

This argument, thus far, has been nothing more than a refinement of what I already said in my first reply, but put into more definitive terms with examples. As such, I still need to counter what seems to be your common belief, "genre is a story element that affects the plot". While I have argued that genre does not define the plot, I have yet to give a valid argument saying it doesn't affect it.

There are many genres which we attribute to each title, honestly, I would love to see you all give examples where each genre tag affects the plot (it would be a noble effort and quite an enlightening exercise which I am sure other readers would love to see), but I will save you from that and go down a more stable route.

I am sure we can all come to a consensus that not every manga(nor LN nor anime) has a plot. You may be able to attribute some plot to our lesser titles by claiming the entire plot is to be inferred(at which point it would also be different for every reader), but I doubt anyone would go that far. If not, you might be able to lower the bar for defining plot, but it would be hard to do that without becoming so inclusive that everything is part of the plot, and thus negating your argument against labeling this as part of the ecchi genre. (plots are not required for a story, but almost every story will have one)
However, even these plot-less manga with little to no story have genres attached. Even without a plot, we still have a setting, and sometimes we have a mood as well. Removing the genre tags which categorize them would yield no benefit to us readers. Even these 1-4 star plot-less manga have readers who like it for the setting alone. As such, for consistency with plot-less titles, we should not require that a story element affects the plot in order to be part of the genre.

What remains?​

@buttsaggington has already covered the requirements of "ecchi". And although some seemed to disagree that the "light ecchi" presented is sufficient enough to conclude it's genre, everyone seems to have acknowledged that those scenes are indeed ecchi (on the low side of it) at the least. As such, I do not believe I need to argue that ecchi elements are in the manga.

With this, the only thing I believe left is deciding at what point a story element becomes part of the genre. How often must it reoccur? Every chapter? Once or twice per volume? At least 2% of the pages? Or something more dynamic like "at least 5% of story elements must contribute to the genre" or "must be of the top 25% of the genres a story elements contributes to(meaning up to 75% of story elements that are part of a genre may not apply the genre should another genre have more story elements contributing to it)".
I already gave my rule of thumb. "Multiple times per volume", but that is not definitive. Perhaps I will write an equation for it latter(leaning towards the more dynamic definitions). Though defining what counts as "a story element contributing to a genre" is likely to be a pain as well.

For the time being, I will post this and see if anyone counters any of those points. If not, then all that's left is figuring out how often we need an ecchi scene before we attach the ecchi genre to something.

(I refined this ~7 times. I hope it still makes sense)

Dex-chan lover
@Hoanghoiham Welp, you practically merged @firefish's and my argument into one and delivered it in a new manner in such a way that it's relevant.

5toubun's ecchiness are merely "the headphone girl is depicted in a way that her nipples are almost falling out of her clothes" regardless of and independent from the action in place.
I do agree that the ecchi scenes in 5 Toubon are fanservice instead of ecchi however it still makes logical and plot sense such as that time when
Miku starts undressing in the hot spring. If she didn't undress then Itsuki would have never saw her wound and determined that Miku was the fake Itsuki all along and thus undressing
is actually a crucial part of the plot. Won't blame you though cause this probably just slipped through your head.

Also, from the way you word it, it seems you are classifying fanservice as "ecchi without plot relevance" and also "no fanservice = not ecchi and vice versa". I kinda have to disagree with you. If you watch the anime of My Hero Academia (yeah ik we're discussing about manga and not anime but Hero Aca anime was based on its manga and we're talking about the pure literature aspect of it) you must remember that scene when Deku got pushed down by the mechanic girl's boobs. That is clearly fanservice, as you defined it, however that does not make the series ecchi. And my argument is that these special "conditions" apply to 5 Toubon as well to make it "ecchi enough for fanservice but not ecchi enough to make it a genre" since the fanservice scenes are not the main appeal of the series, albeit the plot-irrelevant ones are removable despite making the series that little bit more plain.

Also...

...let's take a look at 5toubun's skin-revealing, nude-seeing, bathing, giant-boob-in-the-face sitting, upskirt-looking scenes and...
I get the first one and number 2 & 3 are mostly secluded in the recent Scrambled Eggs arc since it takes place in a hot spring after all but when has 5 Toubon gotten to the point of 4 and 5? I don't remember these scenes before and if my memory serves correct, other than the one-shot which was changed into chapter 1 later, there has never been a panty shot scene throughout the series; worn or not, accident or purposeful.

Dex-chan lover
(I refined this ~7 times. I hope it still makes sense)
Oh my gosh, are you okay? Do you need mental stability? You can pm me if you want to.

Before I start with my arguments, I'm gonna say it for the record that I believe the ecchi tag from 5 Toubon should be removed and my main argument for that is that the ecchi scenes featured throughout the series is fanservice and insufficient to make it a tag-worthy genre due to the ecchi aspect being not the main appeal of the narrative and I'm gonna attack any opinion that opposes mine for the sake of debates and upholding my belief.

Anyways... @firefish5000, what a nice, long argument you got there, hehehe

...that the ecchi presented here is not part of the plot (aka. fanservice).
I disagree because my definition of fanservice differs from yours. Imma copy paste what I said previously to @Hoanghoiham in this spoiler tag.
Miku starts undresses in the hot spring at chapter 66. If she didn't undress then Itsuki would have never saw her wound and determined that Miku was the fake Itsuki all along and thus undressing
is in fact crucial to the plot, however, at the same time, it is fanservice.

The death of plot
Reading... Reading... Reading...

Great argument. Everything is nice and logical. And I don't disagree with any one of these points! Guess I should just skim over it and see what's next to argu-

This conclusion above is step 1 of my evil plan to remove the very idea that plot is necessary for a genre, and thus permitting fan-service to affect the genre. Pretty convening right. But @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN doesn't go down easily. The ringleader of debates playing the devils advocate with plans to take over the worldforum
Hmmm...

honestly, I would love to see you all give examples where each genre tag affects the plot
Cough tragedy, superpowers, school life, action, magic, isekai, smut, dark fantasy, gender bender, ecchi, mystery, psychological, yaoi, supernatural, drama, adventure, horror cough... yeah these are unnecessary but you said you wanted someone to do it. Btw I recommend all these that I link. Take note that not all these genres are what you expect them to be.

With this, the only thing I believe left is deciding at what point a story element becomes part of the genre. How often must it reoccur? Every chapter? Once or twice per volume? ...
...I already gave my rule of thumb. "Multiple times per volume", but that is not definitive. Perhaps I will write an equation for it latter(leaning towards the more dynamic definitions)...
I disagree. A genre is not mathematics; there can be no formulas. Writing is a work of art; you can splash a bunch of paint at a canvas and call it abstract art but you can't be the next Leonardo Da Vinci with just that. I believe that, like you said, mood, setting, and various other elements contribute to a story.

You can measure a manga's ecchiness through reoccurrence and intensity but separating shounen fanservice from an ecchi genre's appeal depends on context as well as author's motives.

If we compare that
Miku almost naked
scene at chapter 66, since all pro-ecchi tag seems to have that as their main argument, let's take this scene apart, shall we.

Is it ecchi enough to deserve an ecchi tag?
-->Contribute to plot?
A: Yes.
Itsuki is able to see Miku's scar this way and knows that she was the fake Itsuki all along.
-->Main appeal of story?
A: Not quite. The romance and the story arc's mystery are the two main appeals, currently.
-->Ecchi content like these show up often?
A: Not really. These things only spike up in the recent Scrambled Eggs arc due to its settings being located in a hot spring. Previous ecchi content has either been very limited or censored using characters or speech bubbles.

Under my argument, I determine that this not ecchi genre. Take note that my definition does not take into account plot contribution and thus it is not necessary for me.
1. Not main appeal; just an extra
2. Does not occur with enough intensity often enough
3. Ecchi activity makes sense

Also under my argument, I determine that this is shounen fanservice.
1. Most reliable anime/manga updates websites recognizes this series as shounen
2. Ecchi content is not comparable to smut content
3. Ecchi is not "in your face" like other content from the ecchi genre.

@Deathglass It's mot always ecchi. But when it is...
Potato Potata​
It might just be fanservice ;P

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I disagree. A genre is not mathematics; there can be no formulas. Writing is a work of art; you can splash a bunch of paint at a canvas and call it abstract art but you can't be the next Leonardo Da Vinci with just that. I believe that, like you said, mood, setting, and various other elements contribute to a story.
But yet it is. Math is not an apple nor a literary argument. It grows no trees, and produces no thoughts. However, it can and has been used to understand and improve both of these things. I wouldn't currently entrust tagging art or literature solely to a program myself. But several companies have not only started to do that, but have been getting decent results. I believe calculating the genre of a work of textual literature would be no harder than calculating and categorizing a picture as containing a party, graduation, holiday related scenes(Christmas, Halloween, etc), or things (food, people, bikes, skyscrapers, etc). These are things I wouldn't be able to come up with an algorithm for detecting myself either, but it is something google photos does automatically(the stuff under things is definitely not guessed solely metadata. I was surprised to find my weird bento
https://----[! URL is only accessible to you. !]----/OAtFt8KoDDKa-JqLNuB0UD_uaBulSi9J4QzunvC5AkZOI9PxK22MX5iarxTaOfPfKvuJA5Ei0SQaxBT3EFkw_ZMWBDsR_asI06Ruf1K-oUhjM3r8zUbsDlU0laV3JgrLOI-EF7l4UJLvyX2GBmK6bw-XS4TfjpihEbrwMp6YCu-YN0dSIZuutv-cxpcToLLwKrNcl8tF4StZhhAQEv4c8ybX8SG-V_yw8ODNwgHtYftSKKrBbuBXVugBSgSZWPFrgADENwrd6K9AzLlx-2DNg9msHOA1OlRv8gSOrczIuZVaod0lauvrDTZqT2_xfVVmltjewSXA9_LY58XWc5I3BLsucc8PoU5BsKvkrIo00CPEs_x0R7YIvdpbaqqTWGTGO19Eym6ZjWUTk-r6mP-HzSVok763fIzrQpu8EFeCn7hug8FXlMMDS28CU0sEGJWsFPen5aUBdGPWZgGhXkRHqtpwaY5Wu8_0ARo1rmSFOPpwVPMfDdPZf7SxhrvsZGtkVO7glJQaOQIbdIDEAGelkHioVv1SvjXhMbGzcM0TsEmZLHxhAKGpfaNbd8t0ioJNoOPQ-L1BHSilRMzF8ftAKCEfDG2lEj-iMZpdX6tpyNjXdEIeAtcytMSWreOB9JxyekWV5yYrO1Y63rNLTQD95gvvLzzsebssmOI7NAiVhWO_stAAgTxNOYwM6NCa1vqaJ9611eXZxcvEc7LFYQ=w607-h1079-no
https://----[! URL is only accessible to you. !]----/so6AlDhPnRG2RiCpoQE8JSJ7_Sr_wT-nGvEPLHSYzCBoXXOZUY1cX1Vum82L0Qncn3Jbcpq1jouzlU6UwwM8cSLyaXfDF3-yBgUbDHdsrGa5IxH_wmVLm4B6TNr2wYYojea35NnfJSxUdbPELkQqF_J5oo2nYMvEl4_KkAKygaytGxSmwe6XoM685ExvEmvMV5ZYTgUJbjKGvitPymHE1XxJw3yCskf3o9vFV9-PfRZwGEuGXnAXSxRdx5OfovzmToZ5chlpnWEJb8pKUiCQZM1Fi0iaCECQJgvo9DL5nNMiQaSafXeQQ66e6Vh3RFIfhXHOXktbr7HDi8sdd-QGS3-XZ3SbHJ89farPMxF6QO_h17Q9zGmaOodDjuUILxCt0XNaQ6tKqU_OUgW_sn8GhUb9NILhKoBXof7wWkVmw1QIITD3XLSb8knzNAuEMqPIr0kiBLX4ErbQjLOdZFyiyrdf3p7rzaJts5qZGnyB0epNXEvXW2g-Vwp42MOFDKeh95aYczBRi2iWTXJmE5MXPZ8i1SCcOLtqD4r4b8MP3lapa2fkkPeYxuCQ9OsOC0JiWbM3IT5Kg6Ljja7vEl2zdmXlm-eXD8vRgiVbim-6PIKVrmguumPIlX34OkgTHtKJ9y6ee1hUwi5rl_d54w5Qj8VzIYoaX4O13GvwvZDaEbCm75ocQTCzifBGsXOgbhd_xyq_P37vUJAtKNm-9Q=w1919-h1079-no
in their).

I am not sure what field of mathmatics you would put this in. It seems like it would be a mix of no less than 2. Something like classification and categorization(I am not a mathematician and do not know the names of many fields). The end result is a set of genres. How to calculate it, no clue. If we are leaving it entirely up to a program using today's technology, I believe a nice fancy term like neural network would come up. Along with a large sample database of a few hundred thousand stories with their genres already marked to use for training it, and testing it.

Dex-chan lover
@firefish5000 Yeah, but if you don't have Google's help to determine a manga's ecchiness then why even bring it up? Plus, algorithms are not perfect. Source = youtube demonitization

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Because I wasn't planning on leaving it to a program to begin with(already said I don't trust the yet, at least not without peer review to ensure they are sane). And no, the algorithms that we have are not perfect. But they have proven to be reliable enough that I personally believe we are on the right track. (also, isn't YouTube based off of keywords entered by the publisher of the video? Searches for all things related to random words is much more prone to error than a fixed set of tags/genres which a NN has been trained to detect).

But enough of that, How do we determine if there is enough ecchi content to lead to an ecchi tag without some formula or rule? If we are basing it just on majority feeling of those that join this thread for this particular manga, it wont be easy to apply outside of here. I realize this thread is on a particular manga, but I have been trying to debate in a generic manner so my arguments will hold for other manga and genres as well.

If you believe in a crowdsourced genre, perhaps there is a popular site utilizing a tagcloud to mark genres for manga? I personally would prefer this myself, but I don't know of any (also haven't looked for one). Unfortunately, MU categories do not seem to overlap with genres, and genres are not crowdsourced but directly edited just like they are here.

Well, regardless, I have already given my vote and my reasoning for it. If this is all your looking for, I suppose I will be leaving the bloodbath first.

@firefish5000 splashes @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN with lukewarm hotspring water and, as he leaves, offers his honest opinion on the situation at hand

Your a cold, scarred, naked loli shivering in this hotspring alone. It's not that we don't love you, but your just too lewd for us to stay any longer. Even if you don't think of yourself as an ecchi existence, we do, and there will be consequences if we act on it any further.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN ascends from the depths of the water and step by step lurks slowly behind @firefish5000. Eventually this loli reach a step away from him and begin tracing over the valley of his back from the top down, with a soft, little, loli finger. @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN reaches ever so closely to @firefish5000's right ear. Soft lips begin to moan,

No, please don't leave me. I know you like my words. I can sense it through your paragraph structure. Please... let this moment last a bit longer. I want to stay with you.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN's eyes begins to water as two, weary arms lock around @firefish5000's neck and soft loli chest touches with the muscles upon his back.

Don't leave this debate like those other men did to me... I'm scared...

look at what you have made me done

Users who are viewing this thread