Polite MangaDex Downloader - any interest?

Group Leader
I'm one of those freaks who likes reading manga offline on tablet (in Perfect Viewer). I used to have a pretty decent personal polite downloader for bato.to before it croaked.

I'm currently pretty far along on a MangaDex specific downloader and need to decide whether it'll be just for me or more general (more user friendly).

The biggest thing about is that it's POLITE. Don't be a jerk. Uses no more bandwidth than reading it on the site, and won't hammer it.

- It is a GUI, pretty easy to use.
- Only supports Mangadex.
- You must have a Mangadex account, because it needs your favorites page to work.
- Manage your favorites only on Mangadex. If you add a new favorite on the site, it'll pick it up automatically.
- Only looks at your follows pages to find new chapters, so even if you have 800 follows it only has to look at a couple pages. Check for new chapters is cheap.
- Manage your language or other filter preferences on Mangadex, not in the app.
- It's got a queue, but only fetches one page at a time, and it won't hammer the site. It takes a while to download. That's okay, just fire it up and read it all later that night.
- If you want it'll check your favorites every couple hours and grab new stuff so it's waiting for you.
- Supports extra-favorite series (Komi-saaaaan) for priority download.
- But you can only find new series if you actually go to the site and add it to favorites. It doesn't keep its own list of every single series on the site.
- For speed, it will keep a local database of what you've already gotten, and supports manual download of old chapters.
- Supports translation group ignore.
- Supports cbz or individual image save. Supports pretty arbitrary filenames / cbz names / subdirectories.
- C# / Mono

So this is basically a convenience app to your Mangadex login that goes out of its way to not abuse the site. Anyone interested, or would you just rather use one of the dozens of other fast manga download apps?

Contributor
I would certainly utilize this for whenever I'm planning on being away from reliable wifi, and to save any of my favorite comics jic they get taken down. I don't really use a downloader otherwise, but I would certainly consider this one for this site.

The fact that it's polite is the best part, because it was my first concern when I saw the thread title LOL

Group Leader
The non-polite ones already exist, but I don't really want to use them here. Polite is the main feature. Okay, one vote, thank you!

Group Leader
All right, I'll keep other users in mind. Might be a week or so since this is a side project.

Group Leader
I haven't forgotten you, it just took a while to polish things to other user usability and there were some other issues (*koff koff God of War*).

It's working well for me now, just need to make login work properly, write up some simple docs, and then make an installer.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@oldtaku Free Manga Downloader already supports mangadex, no new client needed.

Group Leader
@rdn I might be confusing something, but I believe there was a notice at an earlier point stating that using FMD might get you blocked because of how aggressively it downloads.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
thought it was properly configured out of the box, otherwise it wouldnt make much sense to include MD support at all.
but what do I know, I don't use it personally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Group Leader
This is done:

https://mangadex.org/thread/8639/polite-mangadex-downloader-try-it-out

And I guess the biggest differences are 1) it tries not to beat the crap out of the site by default, 2) you manage your favorites on the site - no need to double manage them.

I've been running it two weeks without any ban problems - I got banned early once, but that was because of an infinite loop with manadex's login cookies issue, now fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread