Post any good web purpose programming language aside PHP.

Dex-chan lover
Generic ones are welcome, but it requires extra details: eg, what framework or what libraries. For example: Ruby and Sinatra or Rails full MVC framework.

I find Java + Quarkus with Qute templating engine quite pleasant to work with, but ymmv.

Double-page supporter
I use Spring Boot, Flask, or even Vanilla PHP for backend and for frontend i use Vite + React SWC

But two month ago. i use CodeIgniter for a school project which is pretty easy to learn if you ever use php

Dex-chan lover
I really like to make my personal projects using JS stack, so express with pug for me

I am currently working on enterprise projects, so I am using Java with the Spring Boot framework.
It's actually quite simple to use, has flexible configuration options, and allows you to view the source code to understand how it works. I usually use jhipster to generate project code, as it has a great default setup, especially for microservices in the Java ecosystem. If you are interested in learning microservices and plan to work in corporate environments, Java or .Net stacks are commonly used. Nowadays, Java and .Net can be compiled into native executables, which often results in a lower memory footprint, faster startup, and better throughput.

If i have time for my personal project, i would go with Rust and Rocket Framework or Elixir with Phoenix Framework just to learn to learn new concepts and programming languages. These languages offer good performance and interesting concepts, such as the actor model and type safety.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Not that I'd necessarily recommend it, but at work I've been writing my HTTP backends using FastAPI. VSCode Devcontainers at least make Python development tolerable.

If I had a personal project I'd probably just look into the state of Node frameworks these days. Surely one of them has surpassed Express in the past ten years.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
For the API side, Java + Spring Boot always made me happy.

No strong opinions for the frontend side of things besides that server-side templating is not a great idea. With that:
  • React is most popular (and that matters for ecosystem off-the-shelf library availability) but the base design kind of sucks
  • Vue+Nuxt, which MD uses, has saner base design but it's a much smaller ecosystem
  • Svelte looks like the best base design to me, but ecosystem looks relatively small too

Contributor
for me it's befunge-98. writing a web server in that language is super trivial, I would recommend doing so as a fun half hour exercise. here's mine as an example

Code:
>v
v>"KCOS"4#v($$ afff4++p ;load SOCK and set newline after http 200;
>v        >0a"tnirpregnif KCOS daol ot deliaf">:#,_@ ;failed to load SOCK fingerprint;
v>221#vS00p ;store TCP socket at (0,0);
>v    >0a"tekcos etaerc ot deliaf">:#,_@ ;failed to create socket;
v>00g2'Paa**'P+0"0.0.0.0"I#vB ;bind socket to port 8080 at localhost;
>v                         >0a"trop dnib ot deliaf">:#,_@ ;failed to bind port;
v>f00g#vL ;set socket to listening mode;                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>000{2u0}n ff*ff*0000"txt.gubed"on
>v     >0a"netsil ot deliaf">:#,_@ ;failed to listen;     ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
v> >00g#vA 0a"detpecca noitcennoc">:#,_$ \$\$ ;accept a new connection;
>v      >0a"noitcennoc tpecca ot deliaf">:#,_@ ;failed to accept connection;
v>0ff2++0#v{2u0#v} f1p ;set storage offset to (0,32) and store new socket at (f,0);
>v        >     >0a"kcats kcats ot deliaf">:#,_$f1gK@ ;failed to stack stack;
v>001f1g #vR!#v_ ;receive one byte from message;          ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>v        >   >0a"vcer ot deliaf">:#,_$f1gK ;failed to recv; ^
v>00g"G"-#v_ ;check for G (GET /);
>v        >03ef1g#vW$f1g K ;write 404 header;                ^
v>5>1-:!#v_001f1g#vR!#v_v ;discard 4 bytes;                         ;
>v;^;    <>   >   >   >;<;0a"vcer ot deliaf">:#,_$f1gK ;failed to recv; ^
 >001f1g #^R!#^_00g:" "-!#v_ ;recv one byte at a time until space;
v                         >$
>v   >        >"index.html"v
v>:!#^_:"/"-!#^_           > ;append index.html to empty string or ending in /;
>v
v>2\>:# #\ #g #2 #f #p #- #6 #0 #p #2 #f #: #+ #1 #\ #, #:_$1+:9997+++\06-pnf1+210 a,;un-reverse string;
>v
v>"
>#vi$$$f1++                    ;open file;                   ;      ; v
v >03ef1g#vW$f1 gK   ;write 404 header;                             ^ >
>0\2\f1g      #vW$f1gK             ;write 200 header + file;        ^
          >    >           >0a"etirw ot deliaf">:#,_$f1gK           ^

#line 33

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
HTTP/1.0 404 h

Been using SolidJS for few a production apps and some hobby projects. Been pretty good so far.

Uses JSX/TSX like React and Preact, but it depends on signals for reactive state.

I've been using Blazor for a production app. I don't have experience with other web frameworks to compare, so I won't say it's better or worse.

I find it easier to work than using vanilla JS. If you are using a UI framework (e.g. Telerik, which is the one I am using, but there are many others) it becomes even easier. Being able to code using C# for both the front and back-end is convenient.

What I dislike about it is that it does not give you complete control over the web page. You can use JSInterop to run actual JavaScript code, but it looks like a workaround to me. It also works somewhat like magic; you have to trust the framework and believe it is doing whatever is best for your application. In the end, your code will be compiled to become a web assembly for a server or client application.

I haven't coded an API with it, but I know there are several resources for that in the .Net framework.

If you are looking for something that is future-proof to some extent I suggest Python and JS frameworks like Next or Django.

Fed-Kun's army
Use Java with Spring Boot, I don't know. You can use anything for web nowadays.

VIP
I know it's not what you asked but, PHP + Laravel has been my favorite for years. Really easy to deploy and work with.

As a surprise to no one who frequents the dev channels, I like rust.
However, most of my Rust code and tooling is private stuff I make and maintain for myself. Though for general use, Salvo is quite well documented and feature rich. Fullstack wise, Leptos is also a tool that is growing quite popular.

I've also experimented with Rocket (slow, bloated), Routerify (contributed some things to it), Actix, Tide, Axum (tower middleware is awful and ugly to write, would not recommend), Poem (well documented, really fun to work with), and quite a few others.

As a surprise to no one who frequents the dev channels, I like rust.
However, most of my Rust code and tooling is private stuff I make and maintain for myself. Though for general use, Salvo is quite well documented and feature rich. Fullstack wise, Leptos is also a tool that is growing quite popular.

I've also experimented with Rocket (slow, bloated), Routerify (contributed some things to it), Actix, Tide, Axum (tower middleware is awful and ugly to write, would not recommend), Poem (well documented, really fun to work with), and quite a few others.
I like rust but I'm not sure if rust is matured enough for the front end development.

Users who are viewing this thread