Prey

Came here after binge reading all 106 episodes in Webtoon and I tell you this is soooo far from Mieruko. If you compare this to Mieruko, you can call Mieruko for kids haha. This goes waaaay deeper in plot after the first season. I honestly can't wait for the rest to be scanlated because I barely have a hint with the conversations in the webtoon with my limited Korean reading skills. But honestly, things just get better the more you progress in the plot!

Dex-chan lover
People shouldn't compare this to Mieruko-chan. Prey is far more serious in tone and there's no comedy nor fan-service here (although, there are almost none in the later chapters of M-chan). I can't compare them because they're nothing alike for me: Prey is pure horror.

But one thing's for sure, I'm curious to see what's this is all about.

Dex-chan lover
@AStrangerIsHere
If you are reaaaally curious, I'll give you some spoilers.

Don't say I didn't warn you though

Monsters
A bit of Sci-fi
Time Travel
Cults
Clones
Crazy Killers

This is hardly comparable to Mieruko-chan, which is much more shonen, quirky and fun. If anything, you could map this on a triangle diagram with Mieruko-chan and Mob 100 like this: Mob 100 in the corner funny and serious coming-of-age topics, Mieruko-chan in the corner of funny and horror, Prey in the corner of horror and serious coming of age topics.

The monsters in Prey translate 1:1 to mental illnesses and teenager's fears and anxieties. Here is just a short list of all the similarities
* the MC being singled out and sent to a mental institution cause she sees ghost
* the blonde call calling her out for it and saying she just did it for attention
* the MC having constantly slightly red eyes and strongly red eyes when she has an episode
* the MC's coping mechanism of classical music (which seems to attract a bigger/more powerful ghost that devours the smaller ghost)
* the whole theme of 'if you give in to your fear or acknowledge them, they will hurt you' and 'if you gain hope/are completely distracted, they can't'
* all of the stuff about self harm to make it stop, i.e. cutting, and suicide when the MC can't take it anymore
* the whole contagious, but also latent theme of seeing ghosts translating to higher likeliness of mental illnesses if your parents/family had them or if you are in an enviroment that facilitates such a development
* the whole theme of the MC not wanting help, cause she can manage on her own, but still looking out for the blonde girl, cause she knows when an episode happens to her
* the whole theme of the blonde girl not fully acknowledging the existence of ghosts and denying her episodes
* the whole theme of ghosts being much more personalized and hunting their prey i.e. ghost boy/long boy hunting the MC, eyestalk ghost being attached to the teacher, face-out-of-mouth woman stalking Minji, beetle-ghosts hunting one-eyed boy, long-neck-many-baby ghost observing some child through the 2nd stock window

I swear ya’ll people who rated this 1 just cause it was thought to be a “rip off” of Mirueko-Chan have one extra chromosome.

This is the 25c store-brand pop version of Mieruko's Coca-Cola. Prey's pacing and alternating between daily life and the tension of being hunted is nowhere near as good. You don't get a chance to really appreciate the characters or the unique monsters because there is too much horror, as paradoxical as that sounds. There's a reason good horror movies aren't constantly shoving attacking monsters in your face - you need to spend time building dread . Prey is not bad on its own, but finding this after Mieruko is a step down.

Esse manhwa eu gostei bastante, tem mistério muito estranho envolvente. Ele tem a mesma vibe da Mieruko-chan porém mais dark. Triste em saber que não continuaram a tradução.

"ghastly creatures that seem to inhabit our world but not interact with it - unless they notice you acknowledge their existence"
... sounds a lot like the crackheads in the gas station parking lot at 2 am

Came here after binge reading all 106 episodes in Webtoon and I tell you this is soooo far from Mieruko. If you compare this to Mieruko, you can call Mieruko for kids haha. This goes waaaay deeper in plot after the first season. I honestly can't wait for the rest to be scanlated because I barely have a hint with the conversations in the webtoon with my limited Korean reading skills. But honestly, things just get better the more you progress in the plot!
mieruko is kinda the best one to introduce someone to this type of manga, then you have stuff like this and dark gathering.

Users who are viewing this thread